PDA

View Full Version : Who measures their anchor rope?

the gecko
16-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Im just starting to learn about "scope" ie- anchor rope length to depth ratio, so that the boat doesnt drift in current.

Has anybody got any good ideas for measuring out rope length?

I was thinking that Id have to sew a color coded bit of material into the rope at measured lengths, if I really wanted to know how much rope was out.

cheers
Andrew

Scott nthQld
16-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Nah I Don't measure the rope, but usually find the mark, stop and find the direction of drift and motor back up the drift line and go about 4 times the depth past the mark and drop anchor, tieing off when I'm over the top of the mark, if there's a bit of current, I'll then pull the boat forward a couple of metres. Serves me pretty well, no problems hooking up and have never pulled anchor this way.

ahamay
16-08-2010, 11:38 AM
I don't have the answer but recently sorted out the correct length of anchor chain for my rig and that's made a massive difference.

STUIE63
16-08-2010, 11:42 AM
just use different colour paint or nikko's every so long . by using different colours you would not have to count from the start
Stuie

peterbo3
16-08-2010, 12:02 PM
You can also thread some coloured whipping twine through one the strands every 50M if you fish deep water. Stuie, you must have a better Nikko than me ;D;D............mine faded away to nothing.

Noelm
16-08-2010, 12:59 PM
after a bit of time, just the angle of the rope is enough to tell you if you have enough out, if it is rough, then no amount of theory will beat experience.

whiteman
16-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Even simpler - get a black marker pen. Measure 10m accurately and mark one ring with the pen. Double the line over for 20m and mark 2 rings ..... at 50m mark a big thick black ring then go back to single line for 60m, etc. The pen marks stay there for a long time.

Tickleish
16-08-2010, 01:44 PM
Marker pens and the like will not work. They might for the first couple of trips.

I use orange coloured twine - one piece at one hundred metres two pieces at two hundred and so on. You can also see this if your anchoring in a storm when visability is not good. Try lookindg for a black pen mark when its blowing 50 knots & raining.

This is for anchoring a 40 footer. On smaller boats i guess you could have the twine at smaller incruments.

cormorant
16-08-2010, 03:14 PM
Get a different coloured rope and every XX m or ft and just weave 1 it through the rope. 5 over unders on my boat means 25m etc. Only used when we want to know anchor should be on bottom but sometimes with current it doesn't feel like it has touched.

There is commercial numbered bits of plastic at the usual stores as anchor rode markers. Flouro irridescant and at night with the winch you can tell if you are about to get to the chain.

STUIE63
16-08-2010, 03:22 PM
you can get nikko's for marking clothes these will stay on

whiteman
16-08-2010, 03:58 PM
Marker pens and the like will not work. They might for the first couple of trips.

I use orange coloured twine - one piece at one hundred metres two pieces at two hundred and so on. You can also see this if your anchoring in a storm when visability is not good. Try lookindg for a black pen mark when its blowing 50 knots & raining.

This is for anchoring a 40 footer. On smaller boats i guess you could have the twine at smaller incruments.

I use a standard black marker every few years. My boat does around 150 hours a year (except this year has been a little less cause of too much wind). Maybe you use the wrong pens.

Jabiru658
16-08-2010, 04:55 PM

If you use an indelible ink marker, like they sell for writing names onto clothing and sporting goods then it will last for ages.

They are meant to survive being washed with washing powder in hot water with stain removers, just don't get them on anything else... you'll never shift the marks :)

peterbo3
16-08-2010, 06:22 PM
you can get nikko's for marking clothes these will stay on

Thanks. Ya learn new stuff every day.;D;D;D;D

Pirate_Pete_Tas
16-08-2010, 07:33 PM
after a bit of time, just the angle of the rope is enough to tell you if you have enough out, if it is rough, then no amount of theory will beat experience.

Noelm has it 3 out for every 1 down & then add more the rougher the wind & current

Tickleish
16-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Like i said - if your standing in a wheelhouse in the middle of a storm you are not going to see a black pen mark, whether its water proof or not.

tunaticer
16-08-2010, 08:31 PM
have you thought about using heat shrink and alternating the colours red and black every 5 metres? Every black is a 10m. I use it at times with conveyors and works a treat.

alcam2001
16-08-2010, 08:55 PM
sure do. use good ol' cable ties - pull them in really hard and tight but don't cut off the long tag tail - let it all hang out. Works and holds well on poly or nylon rope (ok - 'rode' then).. put 1 at 10 metres, 2 (about 2cm apart) at 20metres, 3 etc etc - I use the real quality ones (not the bargain ones) and they have never slipped, broken or come off - and can be seen (and counted) without error or problems even in high pressure, tricky situations - from the helm - you are never guessing. Also great if you are retreiving a long rode the hard way (eg because your foam retrieve float went 'missing') and you want to know how much hard work remains.....and wont hurt your hands if you let the rode slide through - the plastic tag just slides through too (could get rope burn tho).
Of course, you already know how much chain you have in front of that. I have only used black ties - but have considered the bright yellow ones for easier viewing at night, but not got around to it.

There are probably variations on this approach and some of the other ones mentioned on this thread are great ideas too - but cable tie is the only way I have ever marked the rode lengths.

gr hilly
17-08-2010, 09:01 AM
i can tell by how long my mate has been pulling up the bloody thing.
Hilly