PDA

View Full Version : about to cut the Cat

Noelm
16-08-2010, 08:37 AM
I have now removed all the bits and pieces, motors and controls, old wires and switches and screws and bolts that have been added over the years, geees there is some crap gets into a boat over the years, and next weekend I will start cutting the floor out of the Centre Console Sharkcat I "aquired" might start a bit of a step by step home handyman account of how it goes and add a few pictures as I go, I have had a bit of a look under the floor and it all seems pretty good, but I am under no illusions of what I may find and I am prepared for some surprises. Anyone who can offer any fibreglass hints along the way will be most welcome.

Jarrah Jack
16-08-2010, 11:21 AM
The photos can make this type of thread much more informative and also makes it easier to offer the right sort of advice. I'm thinking of that recent transom thread as being supurb it that area.

Good luck with it, should be a good one..

dreemon
16-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Noelm, looks like you have a fun project, are you gonna 2pac at the end?
I know what you mean about pulling gear off the rig, so many things that have been bolted and screwed with so many holes that will never be used again,

I used epifill a 2 part epoxy that dries a biit slow but sands good and is offwhite and really sticky and strong to fill all holes, chips and scratches, really easy to use too make it seem to come together quicker,

I've just started on the bottom of my hull to get rid of small holes that are letting water get in, more like repairs (fr last owner) that are showing there ugly heads and it's a bit of a wild goose chase to find where they originated from so getting a pet hate for scratching from sanding glass allready,

I'll find a pro to help me out or someone that can make the job look easyier, and i have some soft floor under my cabin seats, cut that out and expose the condition of the stringers:o or 8-) , thank whoever is up there that theres BEER:D cheers

Noelm
17-08-2010, 08:27 AM
yep, by the time I took off all the old rails and things that had been attached at some time or other, I have over 90 stainless screws, bolts and nuts, lots will get re-used during the rebuild, I "found" 5 bilge pumps (only 2 still worked) metres and metres of old wiring, switches and lights, a few good rod holders, and some crap plastic ones, extra battery wiring and terminals, after a bit of a test, the anchor winch works like a new one, the motors actually went really well, (but I have sold them already) now, the hard bit begins, cutting out the floor and into the unknown!

Fed
17-08-2010, 08:40 AM
Anyone who can offer any fibreglass hints along the way will be most welcome.
Easy mate, strip it out and give it to a fibreglass guy and when your brand new hull comes back you get to do the fun part.

Noelm
17-08-2010, 08:56 AM
I have thought about that, but then I thought I would do it myself and kind of make it up as I go, the actual work is fine, I am not too concerned about my craftsmanship (well up to a point) and I have done lots of fibreglass jobs over the years, but mainly as an offsider, while I have it all cut to bits I will look at storage boxes and stuff to make things nice later on, to pay to do that sort of thing professionaly would be very expensive, to do the floor as a straight out replacement is about 3 grand (which I think is OK) but then you start adding things as you go, fuel tanks bigger and all sorts of stuff I anticipate doing, it will get very costly very quick!

Dean1
17-08-2010, 09:22 AM
Nothing like a cat refurb wheres the pics Noelm??

Noelm
17-08-2010, 09:26 AM
pictures on Monday after I do some cutting, not a lot to see now, just a bare hull with holes all over the place, but I maytake one as it is now.

Noelm
17-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Noelm, looks like you have a fun project, are you gonna 2pac at the end?

I had thought of that, but the hull is in quite good condition, just a bit of elbow grease and it will be fine, the problem is it is just off white with a beige sort of deck, so I may get the deck sprayed, but it is in good nilk too, so kind of thinking is original but sad colour, better than re-sprayed colour of choice? I am thinking original is way to go, and perhaps deck only spray at a pinch, interior will be maybe white flowcoat with fleck/dribbles, the console is also the beige colour, so after filling all the holes, I would think a spray in white 2 pac might be the go for that.

no chicken tonight
17-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Right, here's your first bit of advise!
A well stocked beer fridge will ensure plenty of help along the way, however it does slow the progress a little.
Good luck.

dreemon
17-08-2010, 02:22 PM
I had a pro glasser over this morn , he got in there and cut out the obvious badness and turns out stringers are good and less work than he thought from when he first saw it ;D, He's letting me cut and square off the floor and all the prep of grinding , sanding and the timber work, he'll do all the glassing and will be able to repair the leaks from both top and bottom.

Good time of the year for this work, midlle of summer would make one wanna neck ones self. off to go bottle shopping now so I can get back into it, cheers

John Buoy
17-08-2010, 06:39 PM
Geesus Noel i thought you were getting into a Chinese restaurant
after reading the heading ;D ;D

Look forward to your reno and pics
Goodluck Frank ;)