PDA

View Full Version : Missus wants a "family friendly" boat..

frankgrimes
15-08-2010, 07:51 PM
Hi Guys,

Currently have a 4.5 Polycraft CC, and the missus wants something more family friendly(i.e. Cuddy) - Couple of questions:

Got limited height where boat is stored at home(max ~2.3M) - What height on trailer are glass cuddies ~5meters?

Glass cuddies ~5meter mark, have ~$25k to spend - Need some advice on what I should be looking at? Primary use will be offshore fishing, but also want to take the wife and 2 young kids out on weekends(Nerang river etc)

Cheers,
Mick

Seahorse
15-08-2010, 07:55 PM
i got 5m stacer runabout which has full clears and storm covers.
nearly ready for sale. bought another.
only 4 years old. as new nick.
prob early 20;s

Dantren
15-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Find a five year old seafarer v-sea or haines. There's a few nice ones for private sale at the moment.

boatboy50
15-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Hey Mate,

Have a look at this one.

http://coastalpowerboats.boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=9154227

Let me know if you need to know anything about it or want to see it.

Darren

The-easyrider
15-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Iused to keep my 650 sea leagend in a shed that had 2350 clearance at the roller door. Of course I had to fold the rocket launcher down and fold down the bimnie. Fully set up it needs 3meters clearance.

frankgrimes
16-08-2010, 06:41 AM
Thanks Seahorse - Not really looking for tinny

Boatboy50 - Cheers, looks like a nice rig, but just a little too big

Argle
16-08-2010, 08:28 AM
Check out a Haines Signature 493F, I had one for the last ten years, great boat and will hold its resale very well. Easily handled one up and wont take up much room storage wise. The ride and stability will impress for its size and with nice high cockpit sides the kids will feel very safe.
Attached a pic of my old bus, good luck with the search

Cheers
Scott

frankgrimes
16-08-2010, 10:07 AM
Check out a Haines Signature 493F, I had one for the last ten years, great boat and will hold its resale very well. Easily handled one up and wont take up much room storage wise. The ride and stability will impress for its size and with nice high cockpit sides the kids will feel very safe.
Attached a pic of my old bus, good luck with the search

Cheers
Scott

Thanks Scott - So in the signature range, I should be looking at the "F" (And not the BR which Im guessing it the bow rider model?) - Quite a few other models on boat point, what do the letters stand for?

F - Fishing?
BR - Bowrider?
C - Cruiser
etc?

Jarrah Jack
16-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Go the siggi 493 or the seafarer 5 mtr vsea. Both very good boats. If you get one with a new tech motor, which I would be holding out for with that sort of coin, then it will probably be worth the same in 5 years. Best to ask the seller about the clearance height. A HH breese is also worth a look.

the gecko
16-08-2010, 11:09 AM
be careful mick, there be demons down this road.....

my missus wanted a family friendly boat too, however she only comes out once or twice a year. "oh the wind might get up, lets go to lunch instead" or "5am start, no, what about 10am start", ha ha. The brand new ski gear for the kids has never been touched.

dont swap your ideal fishing boat just for the missus.Unless you get a much better fishing boat, then of course...but whose gonna take my missus and give me a better boat?

cheers
Andrew

Argle
16-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Thanks Scott - So in the signature range, I should be looking at the "F" (And not the BR which Im guessing it the bow rider model?) - Quite a few other models on boat point, what do the letters stand for?

F - Fishing?
BR - Bowrider?
C - Cruiser
etc?

Yeah spot on mate youve got it covered!

Briannes
16-08-2010, 01:48 PM
Hi Frank i have a Yalta 535 115hp 79hrs going all extras

frankgrimes
16-08-2010, 05:16 PM
be careful mick, there be demons down this road.....

my missus wanted a family friendly boat too, however she only comes out once or twice a year. "oh the wind might get up, lets go to lunch instead" or "5am start, no, what about 10am start", ha ha. The brand new ski gear for the kids has never been touched.

dont swap your ideal fishing boat just for the missus.Unless you get a much better fishing boat, then of course...but whose gonna take my missus and give me a better boat?

cheers
Andrew

Cheers Andrew - Wanted to get something a little bigger soonish, and cuddy will give me a bit more protection on those overnighters! So not really compromising..the haines and seafarers look to be very nice seaworthy rigs(From all reports....never been in them)...my only concern is coming from plastic->glass(The poly is extremely hardy...no need to be gentle with them!)

Mick

frankgrimes
16-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Hi Frank i have a Yalta 535 115hp 79hrs going all extras

PM me the details mate.

Mick

Chimo
16-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Mick

Check out the Seafarer that Darren (Boatboy 50) mentioned. He's straighter than most too.

What Andrew said may well be correct but with the Seafarer you have both aspects well and truely covered. The 115HP motor on it has the potential to do the job for 2 or 3000hrs, I have two of them!

Cheers
Chimo

rowanda
16-08-2010, 07:00 PM
hi mate
I had a Haines Signature 530F for 5 years and was a brilliant boat. If you go for a 540F or 532F you should get something in your price range not too old.
They ride brilliantly and even my missus was happy with it!! We used to take 3 kids and me and the wife no problems.
Mostly used for offshore fishing without the wife and kids, but doubled well as a family boat

frankgrimes
16-08-2010, 07:51 PM
Mick

Check out the Seafarer that Darren (Boatboy 50) mentioned. He's straighter than most too.

What Andrew said may well be correct but with the Seafarer you have both aspects well and truely covered. The 115HP motor on it has the potential to do the job for 2 or 3000hrs, I have two of them!

Cheers
Chimo

Cheers Chimo - Only concern would be handling it one up(As that is majority of my fishing), plus storage...my 4.5 fits "nicely", 5m would be "snug"...anything over, think Id struggle.

Mick

Briannes
16-08-2010, 07:54 PM
Hi Frank email is brian@briannes.net

frankgrimes
16-08-2010, 08:00 PM
hi mate
I had a Haines Signature 530F for 5 years and was a brilliant boat. If you go for a 540F or 532F you should get something in your price range not too old.
They ride brilliantly and even my missus was happy with it!! We used to take 3 kids and me and the wife no problems.d
Mostly used for offshore fishing without the wife and kids, but doubled well as a family boat

Cheers - Think I may struggle fitting the 540 or 532 in at home.

could you handle it one up?

Mick

fez
16-08-2010, 08:10 PM
Mick,

What about the Poly 5.3 Cuddy? Stick with something you know. Not too many second hand though.

fez

Briannes
16-08-2010, 08:18 PM
Hi Mick email is brian@briannes.net

rowanda
16-08-2010, 09:04 PM
Cheers - Think I may struggle fitting the 540 or 532 in at home.

could you handle it one up?

Mick

Yeah I did a fair bit of solo in it, like any boat, bit of an issue with strong winds, but nothing a rear rope for retrieving didn't fix. As for fit, I think they should come in close at 2.3m height, but you'd need to check each boat individually.
I'd recommend going out (with a tape measure) to some boat yeards and have a look around.
Good luck!

Si
16-08-2010, 09:21 PM
you can pick up a very nice haines signature for 25k! i have an old haines sig cabin (1750c). they make mincemeat out of chop. combine it with a fold down bimini with sides and front clears and its a winner for a family boat. mine sits under the house and i come under 2.3m on a standard single axle trailer.

frankgrimes
16-08-2010, 09:42 PM
Mick,

What about the Poly 5.3 Cuddy? Stick with something you know. Not too many second hand though.

fez

As you said mate - very few second hand...even new, no one on the Goldie has them.

Fed
17-08-2010, 09:47 AM
5.2M long 2.2M high with the canopy down, you could buy 3 for 25K.
http://www.comcen.com.au/%7Efed/car_boat_opt.jpg

Tritto
25-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Hey Mick, I finally got the add up for the Yalta http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=9205662

Tritto

Camhawk88
26-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Nice looking rig Tritto but you must be ultra negotiable in price if you're suggesting it to a bloke looking at low-mid 20s??

frankgrimes
26-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Nice looking rig Tritto but you must be ultra negotiable in price if you're suggesting it to a bloke looking at low-mid 20s??

hehe - Nah I know Tritto mate, been out in the Yalta a couple of times, very nice rig!!

frankgrimes
26-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Hey Mick, I finally got the add up for the Yalta http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=9205662

Tritto

Bugger you have to sell her mate - As you said, unfortunately the luxury items are the first to go.

Whoever buys it will be very happy fo sure.

Mick

Tritto
26-08-2010, 09:11 PM
Yeah thanks Camhawk88. As Mick said just showing him the add buddy. Things are always negotiable but not that much.

Cheers

Camhawk88
27-08-2010, 09:10 AM
That's a shame- I would have thought about buying if it came in around mid 20s;).
As you say but your not in the business of giving it away. Looks like it'll be a heartbreaker to sell that:'(.

Lancair
28-08-2010, 07:48 AM
Why are you selling it ? Surely thats gotta hurt financially ?

(sorry to hijack the thread but I gotta ask)

Tritto
28-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Yeah Lancair, it hurts but hoping to not loose too much on it. Built a new house and as always went over budget. Will be very reluctant sale though.

PinHead
28-08-2010, 01:30 PM
I could have almost bought a unit for what I spent on the cabin and dunny boat we had..LOL..but it was fun at the time.

Camhawk88
29-10-2010, 12:39 PM
You still chasing something Grimesy