PDA

View Full Version : Which Yak for the missus?

Eelman
14-08-2010, 06:15 PM
After having my kayak for a week, my partner, Annie, wants her own as she hates having to share!
It will mainly be used in estuaries and freshwater dams, and for some fishing, but not full-on serious stuff.
We're looking at under $1000. She likes the look of the Extreme Kayak Fish Bandit (in Sheila Camo colour).
What are some other options in the SE Qld area are there that would suit her needs?
Thanks in advance,
Ross

wiz
15-08-2010, 05:23 PM
check out the viking range. Espri maybe? $950
how much does she weigh?
how far do you intend to paddle?
checkout the kayaking forums.

tunaticer
15-08-2010, 06:49 PM
As Wiz said, Viking Espri, easy to paddle, easily fishable, tracks well and is manageable for the fairer sex.
http://www.vikingkayak.com.au/espri.htm#Espri%20with%20a%20FISH%20KIT
Good value kayaks that perform above thier prices.

Eelman
15-08-2010, 08:18 PM
check out the viking range. Espri maybe? $950
how much does she weigh?
how far do you intend to paddle?
checkout the kayaking forums.

She weighs about 190kg, just kidding about 70kg. Won't paddle too far. Not sure about km, but maybe a fairly cruisy paddle for about 3 hrs would be about it.
She seems pretty set on the Fish Bandit. It does have the advantage that we can layby it, it's locally made, and she loves Sheila Camo!
I'll keep looking and researching, and maybe, just maybe change her mind, which is bloody hard when she has her mind set on something!

wiz
15-08-2010, 09:30 PM
Most importantly you want something that is easy to paddle, she is not heavy and therefore would want something fairly light that glides easily. This aspect will determine how much kayaking you will do. If it is a slug in the water and is hard for her to paddle then it will lose its appeal very quickly, especially if you want to cover some reasonable distance, and if there is wind. At the end of the day buy what you are happy with, get out there and enjoy it and learn from experience, your experience, as we all view things from different eyes.