PDA

View Full Version : Engine Corrosion

Rapson
14-08-2010, 01:16 PM
I am looking at buying a boat that has a Yamaha 140hp and it has a fair amount of corrosion on the leg. As far as I can tell it is just cosmetic and on the outside of the leg.

Has anyone delt with corrosion like this and can it be easily repaired & repainted?

Steeler
14-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Nothing a bit of elbow grease can't fix

cormorant
14-08-2010, 10:52 PM
I'd pass on that.

Either it has a electriacal problem or a paint issue from the factory causing / allowing that corrosion. There is always a reason and I wouldn't pay up for it till I understood why it has happened.

Check witha Yammi dealer or OS forum in case it was a paint issue with that model?

There is no way until it is pulled apart you can tell 100% just what has corroded .

What did the existing owner do - chain it to a metal guard rail by the motor???

Did he reguarly do overnighters week long and never clean up or replace annodes?

That sort of corrosion can make it impossible to pull the lower unit apart if you have issues with it and with orings you may never get it to seal again with them requiring such a immaculate sealing surface

Put a multimeter on it and prove the leg is not "powered up" all the time

It is often hard to clean them up to get a good paint finish applied ever again that will last

Rapson
15-08-2010, 08:39 AM
Cheers Cormorant,

From what I have found out Yamaha had a paint issue around that time, and the owner has previously used it for weekenders and was mored out the front of his house so it spent a lot of time in the water.

I have found some history of a corrosion problem in the internal exhaust but this is restricted to 4 strokes from around 2000.

wrxhoon
15-08-2010, 10:50 AM
was mored out the front of his house so it spent a lot of time in the water.

Thats the main problem , moored without antifouling.

FNQCairns
15-08-2010, 11:22 AM
What's the chance you could wrangle a look at the leg when removed before the purchase? chances are all easily viewable bits can be cleaned up to look fresh but under the waterpump there will be an aluminium seal housing and elsewhere a seal/s for the shift rod.

These are the bits that have have resigned many a leg to the rubbish tip, if the seal housing is frozen solid no typical mechanic will be interested in the microsurgery needed to remove it safely and if the shift seal seating area is corroded ...it will just depend how badly.

Then there is the big screw/retainer behind the prop they are made of very low quality uluminium and it will blow up with corrosion at the thread interface and sometimes split the casing, even if this has not occurred not all the time is it possible to save the mating aluminium thread cut into the leg.

IMO if it was me and in your situation I would stipulate that a mechanic gets to look directly at the engine with a view toward these parts also, otherwise you may find yourself with up to a 3k black hole at some stage after purchase.

Still everything less visible could be fine...until investigated no-one will be able to tell.

Jarrah Jack
15-08-2010, 12:36 PM
If he had shore power up to the boat for whatever reason while it was moored then it may be time to run ..Worth the question. It would need to be for a while though.

peterbo3
15-08-2010, 02:08 PM
G'day Raps,
There are major issues they you CAN see. What about the ones that are internal.:o:o:o:o:o:o
I am with Comorant...............pass on this one. If this corrosion is an indication of how poorly this engine was looked after, there may be problems with the entire boat.
Plenty more boats out there that do not look like junk.

Angla
15-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Too much corrosion for me. You may think otherwise if you have the money to fix it. What is the seller saying about the corrosion (like dollars off cos it looks like crap or isn't she a beaut).
I would look for a more honest looking boat and motor package.

You could just wait till the greens get in and then boats will be on the market for nothing as we won't need to go fishing any more

Cheers
Chris

dreemon
15-08-2010, 04:43 PM
I'd pass on that.

Either it has a electriacal problem or a paint issue from the factory causing / allowing that corrosion. There is always a reason and I wouldn't pay up for it till I understood why it has happened.

Check witha Yammi dealer or OS forum in case it was a paint issue with that model?

There is no way until it is pulled apart you can tell 100% just what has corroded .

What did the existing owner do - chain it to a metal guard rail by the motor???

Did he reguarly do overnighters week long and never clean up or replace annodes?

That sort of corrosion can make it impossible to pull the lower unit apart if you have issues with it and with orings you may never get it to seal again with them requiring such a immaculate sealing surface

Put a multimeter on it and prove the leg is not "powered up" all the time

It is often hard to clean them up to get a good paint finish applied ever again that will last

I've painted 4 engines, and as cormorant says, "it wont last" 2 years at best then live with a year looking shabby and time for a repaint just to hold it back. this is only the cosmetic side of it,

as said before ask to pull some bits off for inspection and if you find every 2nd or 3rd bolt head twists off leaving the threads snapped off inside, you'll have dramas with most of it, everythings repairable with a price, if your handy on the tools you'll be able to save money but only if you get it at a great price, it can still be a good engine, I forced mine to be one and fully trust it now, cheers

wiz
15-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Run Forest Run

Rapson
15-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I do like the hull that is attached to this outboard and it does appear to be in better nic than the outboard, it needs a little work but thats what I'm looking for (ex chippie). Will take all advice into consideration with the plan to repower in the not to distant future.