PDA

View Full Version : Tying Fender to Glass Cuddy Cab

mattyd
12-08-2010, 12:09 PM
I've not really bothered with fenders in the past (just been VERY careful with pontoons!). But there's been times when you can be as careful as you can and you still end up scraping / scratching due to wind or wash.

I've got a situation where I will need to tie the boat off at a jetty / pontoon for a 24 hour period on the Noosa River and I don't want to rely on the rubber gunnel getting smashed in the wake of other boats.

My question is where to tie off the fenders I've just bought as the design of the hull is such that the fwd 'shoulder' has no point to secure a fender rope. The bow rails start too far forward making the fender redundant if I try to hang it off there.

Have any boaties with a similar designed hull been able to get around this? There's a handle on the dash for the passenger to grip that I could tie it on and swing it over the windscreen, but I don't know the damage that could do from the strain on the rope.

Here's a pic of another Freedom Escape 5.3m cuddy cab:

http://www.boatstobuy.com.au/image/listings/large/free-escape.jpg

The fenders I've bought are the EVA high density foam style (480x180x50mm)

Any suggestions appreciated.

Matt

Jarrah Jack
12-08-2010, 12:19 PM
One way would require add a few tie down points each side. Just visit the local yacht chandlery to get some.

The other would be to run a line between your stern mooring cleat and the bow rail then tie the fenders to that which is the way I'd go as you can tie as many as you want in the right places and you don't have to drill any holes in the boat.

mattyd
12-08-2010, 12:32 PM
That's actually a really good idea, hadn't thought of doing it that way.

I was looking at the possibility of new mounting points when I was at the chandlery yesterday buying the fenders, but was trying to avoid due to my minimal requirement,.

Thanks for the suggestion Jack, I might just do that with the running line between the stern cleat and the bow rails.

Great thinking 99 :)

Chimo
12-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Hi mattyd

Are there any springers on the pontoon as they would keep the hull clear and stop any rubbing or contact.

In the past I've also set an anchor and heavy chain out from the off side of the hull and tied off midway to a line from the boats bow to the stern. Acts like springers and holds the boat a few feet off the pontoon. Still hang a couple of fenders between boat and pontoon though. Guess it depends on the size and speed of craft that will go past during your 24hr period.

Cheers
Chimo

PinHead
12-08-2010, 12:53 PM
use the rope from bow to stern...those rectangular fenders can and will ride up and end up sitting on top of the pontoon and not between the boat and the pontoon. The round ones are far better.

mattyd
12-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Hopefully they will stay in position for the short period I need them. It was hard justifying $40 a piece for the round ones.

These flat style fenders at least have the advantage of easier stowing.

I think if I was going to be using fenders more than once in a blue moon, the better quality round style would be the obvious choice.

PinHead
12-08-2010, 01:54 PM
I am at Everton Park and have some round ones if you want to borrow them for your trip..just holler if you want them.

mattyd
12-08-2010, 02:11 PM
Cheers for the offer Pin head. I'm actually going to be up at Noosaville for my wedding, the groomsmen & I are being delivered to the (beach) ceremony in the boat! It will then be docked at the boathouse o/night and I'll pick it up the next morning.

Delivering the bride the same way was just asking for trouble.....

deckie
12-08-2010, 02:16 PM
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/7461/s7014621imageset02.jpg

Cabela's do these.
Never tried them tho...certainly look to be an answer and handy.
"Kwik Tek suction cup Fender Straps"...US$15bux
Suction cups are about 80cm diameter so they might even stay on....might be worth a try.

You can get permanent s/s flush mount points for fenders that'd be a much more solid solution...but you'd need to attack your glass with power tools.

mattyd
12-08-2010, 02:44 PM
Nice find they seem a good idea.

You would want to have a lot of faith in those suction caps!

deckie
12-08-2010, 02:54 PM
Yeah thats the thing isnt it..trusting them.
Not until u actually try things like these u find out. Some suction cups are amazingly strong and cant see a reason why they wouldnt work well on smooth shiney geloat. But yeah not what i;d use for o'night.

Whynot just get a small 316 bulkhead eye or eye plate that'd take say 10mm rope ?...maybe a s/s snap hook....only two screws and u wont ever need to worry about it again. Few bux only. Can also be useful for taking lines aft for anchoring/pulling up on the beach.

cormorant
12-08-2010, 03:28 PM
If you buy pump up fenders with the big valves you can half fill em with water ( or a bit of lead shot) to help keep them vertical and stop em riding up.

We have also used a small sand bag under the fender tied on with a rope to stop em riding up.

Like others have sail we try and rig the boat ( with a couple of anchors so it stands off pontoons or wharves overnight) as there is always some nob who creates wake and scratches the crap out of your boat.

deckie
12-08-2010, 03:54 PM
If i ever catch that rogue pelican that keeps stealing bait out of boats left at Bayview ramp i'll use him as a bloody fender...10mm rope around his scrawny neck.
You're on borrowed time bird ;D !!!

Hope Bob Brown aint watching.