PDA

View Full Version : Fisher 550 Dual or Yellowfin 5.7

BernieM
11-08-2010, 08:51 PM
I'm looking at getting a new boat and would like to know if anyone could advise me which is the better boat, I'm looking at either a Fisher 550 Dual or Yellowfin 5.7 Centre Console

robothefisho
11-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Have a fair bit of time in a 550 dual. Well built. Also looked over a 5700 and it was pretty impressive, haven't been in one though. Do know they were a bit pricier though. If you want more in depth info pm me.

nickstock
12-08-2010, 07:39 AM
You cannot compare the two, the Fisher will be miles ahead in build and ride and will have a far better resale value when you upgrade.

Cheers,
Nick

BernieM
12-08-2010, 07:55 AM
Thanks Nick, resale value is one of my concerns.

finga
12-08-2010, 07:55 AM
Have you checked out the Origin boats??

All the pedigree of the Fisher's has gone to Origin Boats
http://www.originboats.com.au/

Is a Fisher since the takeover the same as a Fisher before the takeover??

nickstock
12-08-2010, 08:28 AM
Yes Finga the build quality is 110% and the pricing is a lot more reasonable then Origin for the same B.M.T package.

I have been seen and been in nearly all of the models made by the "new" Fisher team and they are as good as a plate boat can get.

Noelm
12-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Isn't Yellowfin now made by Telwater of Stacer/Quintrex and a host of others fame?

finga
12-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Yes Finga the build quality is 110% and the pricing is a lot more reasonable then Origin for the same B.M.T package.

I have been seen and been in nearly all of the models made by the "new" Fisher team and they are as good as a plate boat can get.
Have you been in all the models Origin makes to compare?

As with any new custom boat please make sure the contract suits you in case something happens to the maker no matter who it is.
Make yourself, and your money, safe.

Ring the suppliers to the boat builder and ask them just how good the payment record is. It might save a lot of hardship later.

I heard rumours that Fisher is might be moving to smaller premises.
Can someone confirm or deny this??
Probably not seeing they moved in the dead of night without telling anyone last time.
Amasing what you hear in the bush and who knows who.

megafish71
12-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Ring the suppliers to the boat builder and ask them just how good the payment record is. It might save a lot of hardship later.

No supplier can disclose this kind of info to anyone.

I'd rather give a new comer to the market a crack, then somebody with who has been involved with several boat building ventures that have failed. I not pointing any fingers, just stating my observations.

As for the Yellowfin, I would stay as far clear of any telwater product as I could, past experience with them has soured me from them for life.

Ron

Scott nthQld
12-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Noel, I read a review on the Yellowfin boats a while back and if I remember correctly, they have always been made by telwater, then the market went away from plate boats to glass and tinnies, but now plate boats are again, big in the marketplace they brought them back.

The yellowfin will have very little customisations you can do. They have a pretty good list of options, but its those options or nothing. You basically have no input as to the layout, position of the console etc. So if you want a customised boat, go with one of the custom builders like origin, fisher, bluewater etc, you'll pay a bit more, but build quality will be second to none, and you will have the boat YOU want, not what another manufacturer says you want

Prowl n Wolf
12-08-2010, 02:57 PM
great plate builder down the road from fisher in bluewater has a boatshow special 5.9 centre cab with a 150 suzi for 69k. regards, tc.

JB
12-08-2010, 03:56 PM
Dont like the look of the yellowfin myself, seem to be a bit sharp in the bow.. can't quite put my finger on it but i know i'd much prefer a riptide or a bluewater.

FNQWill
12-08-2010, 09:12 PM
As for the Yellowfin, I would stay as far clear of any telwater product as I could, past experience with them has soured me from them for life.

Me too.

Yellowfin looks good, but have a closer look at all the welds in the hidden spaces.
I would never buy a Telwater boat again.

Will

Sheik
13-08-2010, 09:12 AM
Personally I have nothing but good things to say about Telwater. I bought a Stacer 469 and it was a good little boat. Went 70 k offshore in it no problems across the bar at Tin Can. Staff were friendly, boat was good. As I said, all I can do is report what I experienced, and thought I should put in a good word.
Jim

jake0
14-08-2010, 07:44 AM
I'm looking at getting a new boat and would like to know if anyone could advise me which is the better boat, I'm looking at either a Fisher 550 Dual or Yellowfin 5.7 Centre Console

Fisher all the way8-)8-)8-)8-)

DOGFIGHT
15-08-2010, 08:21 AM

I'd rather give a new comer to the market a crack, then somebody with who has been involved with several boat building ventures that have failed. I not pointing any fingers, just stating my observations.

Ron

Do tell more..........

would be nice to have a new Fisher in the shed

finga
15-08-2010, 08:49 AM

Ron

Whether you've been broke in the boat building game or lots of other games it doesn't really matter.

Do a search in the courts system for pending and past action against the company or the owners.
A lot of eyes would probably be opened....especially if you look into the owners of the two manufacturers mentioned in this thread.

Here is the place to put either company or the names of the owners and do a search for any civil files pending.

http://www.courts.qld.gov.au/esearching/party.asp

If you cannot get a full list of the company owners then they are trying to hide something.

A business is only as good as, and would have the same ethical standards, as the owner in my opinion.

Who are behind Fisher Boats Australia and Yellowfin??

Would I get someone to build me a boat when one of the people behind the company are going to court with the ATO??
No. My money was too hard to get.

Greg P
15-08-2010, 09:10 AM
Out of the pan into the fire Nick

Fitzy
15-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Folks - FYI someone is complianing about posts in this topic. Will leave it up to you to ponder whom that may be. Legal action has been threatened.

If you feel you have said anything may be "slanderous and damaging" then i advise you to edit your posts

You are all responsible for your own remarks.

finga
15-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Folks - FYI someone is complianing about posts in this topic. Will leave it up to you to ponder whom that may be. Legal action has been threatened.

If you feel you have said anything may be "slanderous and damaging" then i advise you to edit your posts

You are all responsible for your own remarks.

Looks like I'm in the doo doo again.
Looks like some people don't like the truth eh.

I've edited the post where I did a search for pending and past civil suits against one of the people behind one of the manufacturers mentioned in this thread.

I've left the link where people can do their own search.

Can't be anything wrong with that can there??

If you want to find out who is behind each of the manufacturers mentioned then ask.
Someone will tell you.

FrogBat
16-08-2010, 08:04 AM
Hello.
I do not post much but I keep an eye on peoples opinions of boats in the hope that one day I will be able to buy something.
I value peoples honest opinions when they post but I have realised when ever someone does a thread which involves Fisher Boats there seems to be controversy which sometimes has a post from a moderator about someone threatening legal action towards the end of the locked thread.
Doing a simple search on this site has a lot of information about Fisher Boats dating back a long time.
Why does this happen?
Who is behind Fisher Boats and Yellowfin Boats as I would like do do my own research?
I have looked at both the Fisher Boats and Yellowfin Boats websites but I cannot find information as to who designs their crafts, their ABN number or who is behind the company. They seem very impersonal to me.
I would have thought custom boat builder would want to emphasise how they are not an impersonal company and would work with you to get the best outcome in the way of a boat you want.
Why would both Fisher Boats and Yellowfin Boats not have a 'about us' page giving the perspective buyer some background information about the company?

I have also looked at a website for another boat builder recommended in this thread and they were Origin Boats.
They have a 'about us' page where there is some information given including who is behind the company. Who is involved in the company and a lot of other information.
This information must give the perspective buyer some peace of mind as they know they are dealing with people who actually want to be associated with the company.
I also noticed Ausfish is mentioned in the 'about us' page. I suppose they value the support from this site.
http://www.originboats.com.au/about_us.html

All this makes me very curious to say the least.

With all the threads about custom boat manufacturers going into receivership and then liquidation and then hearing about the many people losing a lot of money and even people not able to contact their boat builder makes me very wary of ever buying a new custom boat.
Is it easier to buy something off the rack, so to speak, and have it altered to what you want?
Why are the majority of custom boat builders so faceless.

Merci beaucoup

Fisher-Too
16-08-2010, 08:27 AM
Finga to answer your question yes I did get into a bit of a tango with ATO over the rate of company tax paid on the sale of around $2.7m worth of company assets and nothing to do with fisher as you have so suggested. Altho we didn't agree with the matrex ATO used their strategy was to sue me personally for the remaining balance ... which they did ... at a higher rate ... and this matter was settled and paid in full on Friday 13th August 2010 however thanks for airing as much dirty laundry as you could .. for whatever reason .. I bet you even condone shutting down QR maintenance in Ipswitch and the government awarding QR maintenance contracts to China .. isn't that what your into... shutting down good old Aussie companies without a darn clue of what your talking about.

As for the other legal metters in train hehe... joke... matters V Svensson are being vigorously pursued and as you will see everyone has the right to defend them self without prejudice ... and hopefully on your journey you may learn some of the facts as opposed to just rumours.

As for confirming or denying Fisher moving to a smaller premises... well I guess if moving from 1450sqm of manufacturing to 1200sqm of manufacturing space, then yes we have downsized however, we have gained more office space and larger reception area, as well as our new chandlery and around 2000sqm of boat yard ... so I guess if in your opinion that's downsizing then YEP we've downsized??

BTW our new address is 32 Cessna Dr Caboolture and the doors are always open to you and any Ausfish members for a guided tour or social visit.

Kind regards
Mick

DOGFIGHT
16-08-2010, 08:55 AM
Finga to answer your question yes I did get into a bit of a tango with ATO over the rate of company tax paid on the sale of around $2.7m worth of company assets and nothing to do with fisher as you have so suggested. Altho we didn't agree with the matrex ATO used their strategy was to sue me personally for the remaining balance ... which they did ... at a higher rate ... and this matter was settled and paid in full on Friday 13th August 2010 however thanks for airing as much dirty laundry as you could .. for whatever reason .. I bet you even condone shutting down QR maintenance in Ipswitch and the government awarding QR maintenance contracts to China .. isn't that what your into... shutting down good old Aussie companies without a darn clue of what your talking about.

As for the other legal metters in train hehe... joke... matters V Svensson are being vigorously pursued and as you will see everyone has the right to defend them self without prejudice ... and hopefully on your journey you may learn some of the facts as opposed to just rumours.

As for confirming or denying Fisher moving to a smaller premises... well I guess if moving from 1450sqm of manufacturing to 1200sqm of manufacturing space, then yes we have downsized however, we have gained more office space and larger reception area, as well as our new chandlery and around 2000sqm of boat yard ... so I guess if in your opinion that's downsizing then YEP we've downsized??

BTW our new address is 32 Cessna Dr Caboolture and the doors are always open to you and any Ausfish members for a guided tour or social visit.

Kind regards
Mick
Haha, thats what Ausfish is known for, Turkeys that have no idea
Thanks for this read Fisher guys

finga
16-08-2010, 10:20 AM
Haha, thats what Ausfish is known for, Turkeys that have no idea
Thanks for this read Fisher guys
How did this turkey know there was a problem with the ATO taking someone to court?
How did this turkey know Fisher were moving??

Why was this turkey threatened with legal action and then told by the person mentioned what is happening??

If you reckon this place is known to be nothing but turkey's sprooking off why do you visit it and read it?

I'm just trying to get some truth known.
I'm sick and tied of people loosing money to custom boat builders.
People are needing to minimise the risk factor involved in getting their dream built. The truth can only help this process.
Look at a lot of my previous posts. They involve the customer somehow getting some security in the transaction instead of been left high and dry....and broke

I also look at the Viper thread. That is just plain terrible how customers are treated.
And people wonder why I'm dubious about custom boat builders.
Protect yourselves people.

Thank you for the post Fisher Too. And thank you for the honesty.
Seems strange your personally responsible for a tax bill under a company name.
It must have been a black Friday eh

Besides the way where did I mention it was to do with Fisher Boats.
I said it was to do with you. It is on public record where anybody can read if they know where to look.
Anybody can see your record or mine or Col Svenson's(seeing you mentioned him) if they look.

legsy11
16-08-2010, 07:16 PM
this is no myth, blue water are the best value plate boat on the market.

spend a little extra and you get riptide

spend a liitle extra you get aam

imo,all are great but its your budget that has to be the determining factor.

only other thing to think about is what size boat you are actually getting,not what it is listed at.
bluewater and riptides list their boats at say 5.5m but they are actually 5.8/5.9m.
make sure you check this fact as well because their is some top line plateys that have different measurng techniques.

cant go wrong with many of the bigger name plate builders in seq at the moment/

Dantren
16-08-2010, 07:50 PM
I would pick the Fisher over a Yellowfin every day of the week. But I still didn't buy a fisher.
I just took delivery of a 5.3 Bluewater. The progress payments Scott wanted were fair & reasonable. Remember he is building a custom boat, so It's not the easiest thing for him to onsell if the client flakes out. In saying that Scott had a few offers on my hull when it was under construction.
Buy something with good resale & you won't regret it.