PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts: roadtrip around Australia (with a 4.5)

Barrykrocker
11-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Hey fellas,
I've been planing to do an epic roadtrip a with a 4.5 in tow from Sydney to the west coast via the nullabpr and obviously back, through Darwin. I've got ample time because i'm starting a career afresh. It will go down early next year.

So what I want to know what watersways would you want to fish along the way if you had to choose half a dozen or so spots along the general route. With an eye to diversity an limiting offshore work, as though it is a very seaworhty 4.5 I'll generally want to plan for sheltered waters Its an overwhelming thing to even to even think about so far

Barrykrocker
11-08-2010, 01:47 PM
I should add that we plan to camp for most of the trip and are willing to take serious detours off the direct route in order o get away from the crowds ##

Noelm
11-08-2010, 02:11 PM
kind of reckon there would be far too many places to stop to even suggest any special ones. Taversing the top half will be your biggest drama, although the fishing will more than make up for hardship.

Luc
11-08-2010, 02:40 PM
Just make sure the boat trailer is up to the task.

It may need some beefing up to handle the 'roads'

Luc

ejackulate
11-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Gday mate sounds like an awesome trip you have planned i dont have any spots along the way but when you get to darwin i will be able to give you a few good spots to try easily accessable in a 4.5 .Just send me a pm closer to the date so we know how the next wet season has affected the fishing:beer:

Have fun
rob

Corry
11-08-2010, 10:19 PM
The first most important thing to make sure you can fit in is me ;D ;D ;D

Can't help too much, can suggest you get hold of a book called Northern Australia Fish Finder (I'm sure that's it). I take it that there is a southern Aus version, but it explains in pretty good detail all area to fish around the coast, would be perfect for your trip. It's about the size of a NAFA book, and around $30, I got one last week from the local Fishing World in Mackay. Has been a great read.

Hope this helps,

Cheers
Corry

STUIE63
12-08-2010, 07:47 AM
I reckon start a thread and update where you are and how far you want to travel in the next jump and get suggestions from locals along the way . it would be a great read to follow this adventure
by the way Luc spoke very wise words
Stuie

jimbamb
12-08-2010, 04:54 PM
Barry,
do it.. Fishing in WA is great and a 4,5 is definately sufficient..Many places are easily accessable in that size boat as the seas are much easier on the west coast.There are dozens of 12 footers with 10hp going out to sea at places like broome almost every day.It is possible to go right around without leaving the black stuff.
After Saying that there are also plenty of places that are harder to reach and a really good trailer is crucial.Make sure everything is well secured including motor and all other boat bitsDont just chuck everything into boat.and a GOOD cover fits securely over the boat(Keeps dust out of gear and prying eyes out of goodies in boat.)Swags etc help hold everything in place..
Maks sure you have a spare for the trailer and probably a good idea to carry a spare spring and set of wheel bearings.
You will never regret doing a trip like that so DO IT..
Jim

thelump
19-08-2010, 07:50 AM
As someone has mentioned too many to narrow down. But 1 in particular you may like is a place in the NW called Cape Keraudron about 450kms south of Broome. Just turn in near the Pardoo roadhouse and from memory about 15kms of dirt to the camping. There is a sheltered inlet and boat ramp (of sorts) and easy access to sea and nearby islands. The inlet goes a fair way up into a creek where we caught salmon and small barra landbased. Great place and I wish I had a 4.5 when we were there.
Have Fun

NAGG
19-08-2010, 01:38 PM
WOW !!!!! ....... This will be a great trip to follow 8-)

Like Stuie said ...... start a thread & Ausfishers can add some input depending on where you are .

As for destinations - Hell that is a big ask ........ just so many options:P....... but on the east coast - Hinchinbrook (Lucinda) offers some great fishing options for a boat of your size.

Chris