PDA

View Full Version : quintrex tri hull 5

mark taylor
10-08-2010, 03:27 PM
thinking about purchsing a 5 mtre tri hull about 15 years old any advise on this decision either way would be fine,i have looked over the boat for stress fractures and cracks ect,all appears fine,it is a cuddy cab style,i was wondering what she would be like in a bit of sea.i have always had glass mono hulls,cheers

ifishcq1
10-08-2010, 08:14 PM
there has been a few around our area and they really put the crack into cracktrex with any time spent in shirty chop
it depends on where you are going to use it mostly
they are extremely safe and sea worthy when the hull is new but with any decent time in sharp bay type chop they crack like a mongrel
the one I fished from had more welds, replates and even epoxy coat in the end before the heartbroken owner sold it for buggar all
the last trip that broke the camels back was coming back from Flat with both bilge pumps running and very close to swimming by the time we got back to the harbour

cheers

mark taylor
10-08-2010, 08:57 PM
thanks for the reply i am in your area the boat is local at E. P. so i would say it has already spent a lot of time in the chop, were some models better than others or should i be wary of all of the cracktex tri hulls?

stinky-stabi
11-08-2010, 08:03 AM
i would stay away from it ...i wouldnt even buy a new quinny....

ifishcq1
11-08-2010, 06:01 PM
is that you Sparrow

cheers

SunnyCoastMark
11-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Hey Mark,
Everyone has an opinion and that is all I will say there.:-X

I have had an '80's model 15 ft quintrex for about 4 years now - I bought it as a bare hull and decked it out - making it into a centre console. Added a new 50hp Johnno 2 banger. Etc. etc.

I go offshore a lot - often encounter pretty nasty chop and swell. While I don't give the boat a flogging - it cops a bit of stick.

Went through Noosa bar last weekend on an outgoing tide - punched through 3 0r 4 1metre breaking waves - slammed down pretty hard. - but no worries - I know she can take it (same can't be said for the deckies though;D ).

Only had to weld up a couple of pin holes early on. That's it. no cracks re-welds - nothing.

Mate just bought a 5 metre Quintrex Fishmaster 1/2 cabin - late 80''s vintage
It has done a lot of work over it's lifetime and I can tell you that a welder has never been near the hull since new.

Truth is - Quintrex/Telwater have built more boats then probably everyone else put together - so of course you are going to hear more negative reports about their boats.

I had a fibreglas half cabin up in Cairns years ago - had to replce all the stringers under the floor - very expensive at the time. I guarantee that it is a lot cheaper to repair an ally hull that a glass one. (provided it is done porperly - TIG only
- never MIG weld an ally hull under 5mm thick).

If this tri hull has a few years on her and 15 years is certainly long enough to show any flaws- and has no evidence of cracking or repair work - go for it.

I don't know how the tri hulls handle though - never been in one - so can't help you there.

Mark

mark taylor
11-08-2010, 08:01 PM
is that you Sparrow

cheers yes it is sparrow small world isnt it but who is giving me this advise a clue or two and i may guess

ifishcq1
11-08-2010, 08:17 PM
saw you at Corbett's with Quinny
by the way ask him about the stessyl tryhull

cheers

mark taylor
11-08-2010, 08:40 PM
saw you at Corbett's with Quinny
by the way ask him about the stessyl tryhull

cheersthen i guess it would be scy

Mister
11-08-2010, 09:10 PM