PDA

View Full Version : Smokin!!(or excuse me but your trailer is on fire!)

Argle
09-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Had an interesting occurance yesterday while heading to the ramp, doing about 80 clicks when I went over a crest in the road there was a car parked in the middle of the road waiting to turn into a dirt track:o I hit the picks pretty hard and actually felt the A.B.S engage through the pedal (never felt that before) managed to avoid parking the Pajero and boat in the back of this clown and avoid having anyone hit me from behind - just. Kept going down the road when the car behind starts blowing the horn, I looked in the mirror to what was up and noticed some smoke coming from the right rear trailer wheel, then looked left and it was the same!
Pulled overto see what was going on and found the right brake smoking like a train and same on the left but this one was actually on fire:o Hmmm made a big birthday wish and blew it out! There was no damage done and I checked to see if the brakes were locked on (they werent) so I thanked the person who was behind me - she had stopped to see if everything was ok, and kept going to the ramp. After 20 minutes we arrived I checked again and everything was as normal and braking performance seemed normal. I guess being a near new (2 months) rig and being a VERY quick stop from a reasonable speed was enough to bed the pads in;D Nice to see some people out there are looking out for fellow drivers too. I should add this was on a Dunbier dual axle trailer with mechanical override brake set up so no hydraulics to worry about.

Hope the next trip is less "exciting"
Cheers
Scott

Moonlighter
09-08-2010, 04:47 PM
Yikes! That would have got your attention!:o :o

Maybe some excess grease or de-watering spray found its "flash point"!::)

As you say, nice that some people help.

Many years ago I was heading to Cleveland from Mt Gravatt early one moring to go fishing and followed another bloke towing a boat - a 8" foam crab pot float attached to a rope blew out of his boat and dragged alond the road on about 10m of rope all the way: tried to get his attention, flashed lights, blew horn etc but he didn't notice.

By the time we got to the ramp his crab pot float was about the size of a golf ball;D ;D ;D ;D

Pays to keep an eye on the mirrors, hey!;)

Cheers

ML

stabi 659
09-08-2010, 05:12 PM
Sounds like you were lucky someone let you know.

Had a simular experience a little while ago when i was on my way home, about 300km trip. I hit a roo the day before with the boat but couldn't see any damage. Anyway half way home i overtake a truck and he gets on the uhf radio to let me know i have smoke coming from left hand rear tyre. First thought was a wheel bearing. Looking for the next rest area i slowed down to pull in, only to see my tyre travelling past me at about 80km/hr. The trye and hub broke loose and the axle dragged along the ground.
100km from home and 80km to the nearest town. I had a stuffed axle as it was bent and grinded down from dragging on the road. Was lucky a mate came down with a chain and all i could do was lift the axle off the ground, chain it up and limp home.

I now always check the hubs and tyres before each trip.

finga
09-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Just check the adjustment on them.
By the sounds they did lock on but let go when you stopped.
Did you go backwards a smidge??
Also make sure the hubs run true. They could have easily buckled under the extreme heat conditions.

Argle
09-08-2010, 06:00 PM
Finga I think you might be right, I was thinking about it and I think they may have locked on when I hit the picks and then released when we pulled over, either way it was lucky. It seems to tow fine and brake fine (done maybe 70kms since the incident) so it would seem no damage done.

Cheers
Scott

Jarrah Jack
09-08-2010, 06:46 PM
And you know that your whinch post is secure and well made. I've seen the effects of one that wasn't up to the task under heavy brakeing and it looked very expensive. Cars aren't built to carry heavy boats.

finga
09-08-2010, 07:12 PM
Check the grease in the hubs.
It could have been cooked too.
If it's black or smells burnt it needs changing and new bearings.

Argle
10-08-2010, 08:13 AM
Check the grease in the hubs.
It could have been cooked too.
If it's black or smells burnt it needs changing and new bearings.

Good thinking mate, will do

Cheers

Crunchy
10-08-2010, 08:23 AM
Was driving back from the ramp and was getting lots of looks, "Cool, blokes just admiring her all shiny whtie", then saw the smoke, both brakes on fire..seems mate had pulled the hand-brake on which I never do....:-[

oldboot
10-08-2010, 09:25 AM
If the trailer is new...it is very likely that nuthin is greased apart from the wheel bearings.

I baught a brand new trailer a little while ago......not a spot of grease anywhere except in the hubs.

a good time to buy a tub of blue grease and have at it.

It took me a good bay to grease everthing, nuts, bolts rollers.....

but most important is the brake calipers.....they run on two shafts that are a reasonable fit.....those need greasing..drilling the claipers for a couple of grease nipples on these shafts isn't a bad idea.

the brake levers and the pusher need some grease on them and I like to put a litte grease on the channels on which the pads run and on the backs of the pads.

also have a look at the calipers..that are cast and there may be some lumpy bits where they should not be....file or scrape them off.

one other nice little ...um...artifact .....under brakes the trailer may squat this is good.... but most cable brakes as the suspension goes down the brake cables get tighter.....so I can see under hard braking......the trailer brakes could lock on...........particularly iff you have adjusted the cable up a little tight.......seems there needs to be a bit of slack in the cable.

cheers