PDA

View Full Version : NSW RFL's - where do you get them?

Scott nthQld
09-08-2010, 02:02 PM
I'm heading down wollongong way for a couple of weeks in November to visit family and old mates.

I haven't been down for an extended stay (usually just the weekend before having to travel back to sydney for work) and will probably get some fishing in somewhere, maybe both fresh and salt.

Last time I was in NSW to fish, i didn't need a RFL as I was still in school and they hadn't brought the saltwater one in yet.

So where can I get these licences, and do I need to get one for each (salt and fresh) or does the one RFL cover both environments?

It's been 9 years since I had a fish down there and most of my knowledge has been thoroughly squeezed out by what I need to know to fish Townsville and hopefully my grandfather still knows a few spots where I can pick up a few somethings whilst I'm there. So what will I be needing to target at that time of year?? I was hoping to get onto a few snaps, but despite what i think about the cold miserable weather down there, I'm pretty sure the snapper are insane and still think its too warm.

i don't really have anything in my aresenal that would suit the fishing down there, so i was hoping to get some gear down there to compliment what i already have, as it's a real pain to get any sort of decent light gear up here. Saying that though, I'll have to check with the airline what sort of dimensions I can put on the plane, if not I'll freight them up using TNT or something (should be able to book it up on work's a/c)

Will probably be fishing out of Port Kembla or Shellharbour so is there anything I need to know (like zoning) that i need to be aware of?

goat boy
09-08-2010, 02:43 PM
most bait and tackle places sell the RFLs. Alot of places that sell bait (corner stores and the like) sell them as well. I don't know if every NSW K Mart does, but at least some of them sell the RFLs as well.
Dunno about the different licence for salt/fresh. probably best to check out the DPI page?

Lucky_Phill
09-08-2010, 03:27 PM
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/licence-fee

all info above.

strange bit....

Note: If you pay for a 3 day or 1 month period, no receipt will be posted.

Your fishing receipt must be carried whilst fishing.

????????????????

LP.

Steeler
09-08-2010, 03:29 PM
Heading down to gods country eh,be sure to have a great time.

Steeler

Noelm
09-08-2010, 03:32 PM
you can get a 3 day "license" and Port Kembla Harbour is good, but the harbour guys will buzz you off if you are near a jetty and a ship is due in, or if they just feel like acting tough, there is a good ramp on the south side of the harbour, you will know all about Shellharbour, no green zones there except Bushrangers Bay that has been that way for decades, give me a call when it gets close to the time and I will see what I can do for you.

Noelm
09-08-2010, 03:54 PM
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/licence-fee

all info above.

strange bit....

????????????????

LP.
yes, that is correct, when you buy a short term license, you get a paper receipt/license from the tackle store, and you need to have that with you, if you buy a 1 or 3 year one, they send out a proper plastic sort of thing, all tackle stores and lots of other places sell them. I must admit, I have never been asked to show mine, but my son has heaps of times, maybe he looks suspicious!!

bugman
09-08-2010, 06:49 PM
I can sell you one Scott

Scott nthQld
09-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Heading down to gods country eh,be sure to have a great time.

Steeler

Dunno about gods country, but Gods personal estate is right here, I did the upgrade 9 years ago and only occassional visit the poor souls that were left behind....not for too long though....don't want any of it to rub off on me......:D

testlab
10-08-2010, 09:30 PM

????????????????

https://www.licence.nsw.gov.au/gls_eservice/renewals/Application.aspx

From my (perhaps flawed) understanding when you buy a "license fee receipt" for a short term license using the web or telephone payment service, you need to only produce the receipt number if asked. This is different to buying a license issued by an agent, which must be a paper receipt.

I guess it has to be paper in this case as it may take a while for the agents transaction to make it into the fisheries database. Whereas a phone/net purchase is instantly recorded and viewable on a DII inspectors iPhone/Blackberry/whatever.

I can remember buying a short term phone issued license and if I remember correctly the automated service said you must produce the recepit number when asked. As it says in the link above you can buy the 'receipt number' over the phone and no physical receipt is issued. Likewise when waiting for your plastic 3 yr license bought online to arrive you need to able to produce the receipt number if asked in the interim.

Hope this helps.

murf
10-08-2010, 10:08 PM
just read too that it is in the plans to do away with the three day licence in favour of the 1 month, for this privilege you get to pay double for 3 days of fishing :-?

apparently no profit in 3 day licences

cheers Murf

Scott nthQld
11-08-2010, 08:54 AM
I''l have to buy a month anyway, will be down there for a couple of weeks and my grandfather hasn't been fishing for a long long time now due to illness, so I dare say I will be on the water with him a bit if the weather plays the game. I'll just have to try and remember how to do a bar crossing.....haven't done one since moving up here 9 yrs ago. Just hope his boat is still upto the task.

Noelm
12-08-2010, 08:28 AM
not too many bars to cross around here, unless you are talking about a few in the pubs!

Scott nthQld
12-08-2010, 09:25 AM
ha maybe not but compared to what we have up here....highly dangerous :)

Probably end up going to Forster a couple of days as well, and if I can remember correctly that can get pretty nasty.

have they finished the proper rock wall for Lake illawarra yet? you know the one they built on the wrong side after all the professioanls and public told them they were wrong?

Noelm
12-08-2010, 10:19 AM
yes, the Lake is finished, but as usual it has created a whole host of other problems, and some more millions are going to be spent to "fix" the entrance, the general area down around the entrance is nice now, lots of BBQ's and stuff, plenty of good fishing from the shore as well, maybe not as good as you are used to up there though.

Scott nthQld
12-08-2010, 01:58 PM
geez you'd think after 10-11 years they might have got it right, its getting ridiculous, what a bunch of spastics.

Anyway hope the fish are biting when I'm there.