PDA

View Full Version : blakesly's closed????

bearessentials
08-08-2010, 03:00 PM
can anyone confirm if blakesly's anchorage is closed to public for camping??? was told at the classic the other day that this was the case due to them wanting to mine there??
i dont go there often, but would hate to get there with swag and gear and not be able to camp there...

Marlin_Mike
08-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Controlled by REdland City Council. RIng them they will let you know. 3829 8999

Mike

bearessentials
09-08-2010, 03:44 PM
since when??? this used to be mine lease land...... redland council will claim anything..

Marlin_Mike
09-08-2010, 07:45 PM
Redland Council still controls it as camping/park, have for long as i've known

Mike

Fish_gutz
11-08-2010, 08:36 PM
a couple of years back I remember the council removing all the rubbish bins and placing notices on all the campers tents stating it was no longer a camping ground and people would be fined if they didn`t remove their gear? Andrew

Fish_gutz
11-08-2010, 08:37 PM
pretty sure you can anchor there and go ashore etc but camping was to be knocked on the head. ?

Captain Seaweed
11-08-2010, 09:04 PM
I hope not, cant see them mining that close to the water

bearessentials
12-08-2010, 08:25 AM
apparently when the council took the signs down and bins away the mine cracked up and told them to return them because it was on there lease, this is what i was told a couple of years ago, thats why i was sure the mine controlled the landing.

Maddac
12-08-2010, 07:50 PM
I've been there a couple of times in the last few months. The most recent being about 6 weeks ago.

Still bins there and people camping.

Great little spot

Marlin_Mike
13-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Just got off the phone from Redland Council Depot that looks after Blakesly's. Decision as follows:

1/ Short term camping (1 or 2 nights) is OK if you get to Blakesleys via boat. No open fires. No dogs. ;D

2/ They are waiting on a final decision from council as to the fate of Blakesleys. They are in a catch 22................. how do they regulate the area as they have no baot to get there. Give them a boat and they can regulate and look after the area. No time frame given as to when a final decision is expected. :-?

But until further notice, short term camping allowed by boat access just no dogs no open fires. ;D

Cheers

Mike

bearessentials
13-08-2010, 06:50 PM
cheers mike. that clears alot up... apparently the mine is still emptying the bins there also... i hope it stays open forever for us fisho's who want to escape the rat race for a few nights..

rando
08-09-2010, 09:38 PM
A bit history for you.
If I am not mistaken the Blakesly's area has already been mined.
In fact the camping area was formed when a mined dune collapsed into the bay.

I remember going ashore there some months after the collapse and walking a few paces only to find ourselves breaking through a crust and sinking knee deep in what i can only describe as quicksand,,,, hurriedly did an about face and got the hell out.

The miners had remade the dune too steep and without vegetation to stabilize it down she came.