PDA

View Full Version : Cresta 32, what can you tell me?

Midnight
06-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Gday,
Keen to hear the good, the bad and the ugly regarding Cresta 32's.

Anyone who has owned one or fished on one a lot, please pass on what you know.

Cheers,
Myles

captain rednut
06-08-2010, 10:10 PM
hi i can tell you my memory is great ! and back in the days early 80s i fished on the vessel skippered by bob jones who owned the vessell "karma" which was a cresta 32 with a tower and it went suberbly! and was one of the top game boats of its day at scarborough. so i think they are worth looking at.
cheers jim

Smithy
06-08-2010, 10:24 PM
One of the ones Jonesy had was a leg boat. A guy on the Marlin Bar is doing it up and turning it into a shaft drive. They have a legendary following among the Sydney and Port Stephens game fishermen.

Midnight
07-08-2010, 04:46 AM
Thanks Jim and Smithy,
I will definitely look at it a bit closer. They look like a good "combo" boat. Plenty of cabin space but a nice big cockpit, and with a 20 degree V they should handle alright.
Cheers,
Myles

snapperdan
07-08-2010, 09:03 AM
I fished on one by the name of MIDNIGHT. Skippered by a guy called Warren from SGFC. Prob did 8-10 trips. Only ever fished 1 nice day which was interclub day one 2006 (cant remeber exact year). Every other day was either snotty northerlies or sou easters. Was used to fishing on 40 footers or my own 18footer however this boat handled it with the best of them. I always got a bit sick on that boat though and normally dont get sick. It was the diesel fumes in the back of my throat. Dont know what the engine set up was (it was a single) and dont know if it was shaft or stern drive. Boat raised fish considering most of the time we fished with a dirty bottom so sounder didnt work and temp guage never worked. Good times, great times actually. Wish i still fished it however i have my own boat on a mooring which was neglected during the time i fished with him and i took a job that made me work sundays.

Midnight
07-08-2010, 09:21 AM
Thanks Dan,
There must be a few "Midnight"'s around eh. Mine originally came from Rose Bay GFC. Bertram 25 with a single Volvo diesel. It has got stainless 200mm Tuna Tubes hanging off the starboard side transom. Ring any bells from down your way?

Cheers,
Myles

The Mouse
07-08-2010, 12:04 PM
Awesome boat very seaworthy just getting old now and usually will need a repower. The guys in sydney love them ive fished on the old Tantrum quite a bit when i was down there. The cresta called Midnight in sgfc has twin 3208 (210hp v8) cats shaftdrive as does the old Tantrum (Deep Trouble). Another Cresta in sgfc called Tanoa was repowered with 330hp 6bt cummins and absolutly flys. And yes your boat was owned by the same guy Warren moored in Rose Bay belonged to Sydney gfc.

Midnight
07-08-2010, 03:02 PM
Thanks Mouse,
Yeah you are right, I remember now it was SGFC it had written under Rose Bay.
Good to hear of some history of my old monster. It is still being fished reasonably hard and catches a few. I have spent a fair bit of money and time on it, and it is a good thing.

Any idea what speed the Cresta with the 330 Cummins cruises at?

Thanks again for the info.

Cheers,
Myles

The Mouse
07-08-2010, 04:43 PM
I think around 24+ knots tops out at over 30. They caught alot of fish out of your 25 came 3rd one year at the interclub to.

Midnight
08-08-2010, 04:04 PM
Thanks mate. I figured the previous owner was fairly serious by the tuna tubes that are fitted.

It is good to hear that it has a long history of fishing well. I haven't managed to worry any tournament leaders with it yet, damn work always seems to get in the way of the tournaments, but it certainly raises its fair share of fish when we are social fishing.

It is a great sea boat and really economical. I can run the 50nm from home to the shelf, troll for Blues for 10hours and run the 50nm home for 225L normally.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers,
Myles

Noelm
09-08-2010, 08:22 AM
a bit off target, but I reckon the 46 Cresta would have to be one of the best looking boats around, even though they are well over 20 years old, they come up for sale now and then, nothing sounds as good as a pair of the original V6 or V8 GM/Detroit diesels in them at full throttle with the turbos whining away, ahh what a motor and boat combo, there is a 32 for sale on boat sales I think.

Midnight
09-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Gday Noelm,
The 46's are a BIG 46 foot boat, huge volume. There are few nice ones around still.

Much too big for what I want, but they would make a great live aboard cruiser/game fisher. Great value for money for the size. The old Detroits sure sound good, but are a dirty old monster.

Cheers,
Myles

Noelm
09-08-2010, 01:28 PM
of yeah, if you own a pair, you need a good tool kit and know how to use it, and a pair of earmuffs, being patially deaf also would be a bonus, plus an endless supply of rag to clean up the dripping oil, but what a motor! they just go and go for decades, there is still some old Detroits in active service since the war years, without a rebuild. The '71 series engine will go down in history I would reckon.

bastard
09-08-2010, 05:46 PM
a mate of mine had a 32 cresta called hombre which he bought down from bunderburg to horizon shores,magnificent sea boat but he just couldnt afford the fuel,it was twin v8s and was burning around 100ltrs an hour

fine_tuna
18-08-2010, 08:40 PM
hi mate,im part owner of deep trouble(ex tantrum).i fished a few seasons with warren on midnight before we bought ours,i loved wazzas boat so much i decided to buy one ,you cant beat the comfort for that sort of money.its dry,it doesnt roll around for no reason and doesnt pound.

weve owned it for about 1 and 1/2 yr now and still cant think of a better way to spend $65000 we have twin 3208 cats in ours and we are happy enough,easy to work on but very very loud(and a little slow),seem to raise fish though so we're happy...id love to have motors in mine like tenoas but cant afford them at the moment
i am in the process sanding it and repairing it to respray it now ,hopefully ready before next marlin season

ill have to tell warren about you having his old 25 berty he'll be stoked to hear about it,they called it midnight because his name is warren knight..ive been friends with wazza for years now and he still to this day talks about those tuna tubes!!!!:D

chris

we do long days (roughly 11 hours trolling with an 11 mile run to sydney heads ,we cruise there at around 17 knots usually to around the shelf for 260 litres ,diesel

Midnight
28-11-2010, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the info Chris, I have sent you a PM

Cheers,
Myles

siegfried
28-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Myles, check out some of the Albemarles from Seppoland while the$$ is good, lots newer and good value

Midnight
30-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Yeah mate, will do. I am keeping an eye out for the US option

deckie
30-11-2010, 04:21 PM
Love em. Showing my age but crewed on a couple in the early 80's. Seemed all i'd fish on were 35 Berties and 32 Cresta'a. Some very well know game boats in Sydney were 32 cresta's ..."Janel" out of Botany Bay was a 32 Cresta for a short time after being a 28 Bertie and crewed on it. About the time Terry Page (bookmaker/Coogee bay hotel) had one of the only 42 Berties in Aust and it was leased off him for the Pt Stephen convention to try to sell a cpl. Was lovely going for a snooze finding spent condoms in the cabin all over the place. Funny the things u remember but i was pretty young trying to pay my way thru uni. At that time a 46 Cresta was the rig we'd gawk at.

Another boat i'm almost positive about (but been awhile) is "Yackatoon"...now a 50 Precision but got memories of seeing her in the early 80's as a 32 Cresta decked for sharks out of Broken Bay. They turned up and fed a bait to a truly enormous white that was scaring the hell out of a 21 sharkcat during the interclub in either '82 or '83 i think it was. Channel 7 chopper got footage. Been a long time now but pretty sure it was a 32 Cresta also.

Sydney in particular has a rich history of 32 Cresta's. Lots of guys with lots of good memories. Most made mid-late 70's from memory and cant remember a single thing that bugged me about them. Not made as a fast canyon runner but stable with a nice big open cockpit with just the right freeboard. Havent been on one for 25yrs now tho. Sorry bout the reminiscing. Some big fish taken off them them in Sydney parts.....they work.

Midnight
30-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Thanks Deckie, I am not hearing too many bad words about the old Cresta 32's

They certainly look like a good thing to me, nice deep V, good size cockpit and as you said, decent freeboard.

Love the old history of any Game fishing scene mate, thanks for the stories

Cheers,
Myles