PDA

View Full Version : New winch cable

goat boy
06-08-2010, 12:38 PM
So my steel winch cable snapped on me yesterday, good thing it happened just before finishing putting the boat on....
Anyway, I went for a new cable and bought a winch rope instead.
Is there a better way to connect it in the winch itself other than just a good knot? and where it says to initially wind it on under strain would someone pulling on the rope as I wound it on suffice?
Thanks in advance

lethal098
06-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Just a good knot will suffice, someone pulling on it would be a good start but next time you take your boat off, wind it all back off then all the way back in to pack the rope nice and tight.

cheers Lee

Heath
06-08-2010, 01:28 PM
depends how the old wire rope attached I suppose. On my power winch there was a hole through the middle of the spindle. I just tied a knot. Been like that for the last 6 years.

murf
06-08-2010, 03:42 PM
can do it like a ski rope, spread a hole up a bit and thread the tail up into it, the harder you pull the tighter it gets

as said though how does your winch connect the cable?

cheers Murf

goat boy
06-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Cheers guys, not sure how the old cable connects, I'll look at it tommorow and decide on a course of action then.

ric
09-08-2010, 11:17 AM
So my steel winch cable snapped on me yesterday, good thing it happened just before finishing putting the boat on....
Anyway, I went for a new cable and bought a winch rope instead.
Is there a better way to connect it in the winch itself other than just a good knot? and where it says to initially wind it on under strain would someone pulling on the rope as I wound it on suffice?
Thanks in advance

use the same method attaching the rope to the cable drum as they have attached the hook to the other end. ie loop the end back into the rope - a good 6-8 inch. then feed it around your cable drum and choke it on the loop you have just formed.

Make sure you do wind it on very tightly. otherwise when winding the boat back on it may wedge inself into the spool.

oldboot
10-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Quite a few of the winches like mine have a bolt and clamp arrangement.....with that ya just thread the rope arround the keeper in a "U" and tighten up the bolt.

Modern braided rope:thumbup: you will bless that day.

cheers

goat boy
11-08-2010, 12:22 PM
The cable was attached to the side of the spool in a bolt and clamp arrangement, which was a real pain in the @ss to get off (tight space).
I just attached the new rope to the spool in the ski pole fashion and away I went. Boats been on and off the trailer a few times now no worries.
Cheers for all the advice.