PDA

View Full Version : Wire weed anchoring

Dignity
06-08-2010, 12:23 PM
I was out in a mates boat the other night and he only had a light reef pick, unfortuantelt the set was running and there was a bit of a breeze in the same direction and we had trouble holding the bottom at all, the bottom was predominantly wire weed. After quite a few attempts I ended up adding lead weights to the front and end of the shaft, and eventually to the end of the chain as well before we were remotely successful. The thing was an absolute dog to pull up once we did anchor. I have recently bought a molloolaba pick on my boat but have not used it on wire weed and was wondering :

1) will a m'ba pick hold in wire weed
2) what length of chain is needed for wire weed as previously I have found it to be difficult to hold in
3) what is the best anchor type for wire weed.

Noelm
06-08-2010, 01:11 PM
you cannot anchor in weed alone, there needs to be rock ledges and stuff for the anchor to get hooked on, does this wire weed grow on flat rock bottom or sandy stuff? if sand, then a reef pick is next to useless (of course) but seeing as you did eventually hook up, I guess there must be some rocks.

Heath
06-08-2010, 01:24 PM
I've found that around 6m of 8mm chain, with a 5 prong reef pick full of lead does the trick. Keeps my 6m Cruise Craft in the one spot at least..

Dignity
06-08-2010, 05:02 PM
Noelm, where the wire weed grows it is sand but then at the very edge it becomes rock/reef. When we eventually did anchor it was prett close to the spot but I had to add 9 x 1/2 lb leads to the set up before it would grab (it was a reef pick that was fine for 1 4m dory not a 4.5m plate tinne). As my main anchor offshore is a m'ba pick I started thinking about it as in this particular case I could feel it skipping across the weed.

Heath, I feel that extra chain would have helped and I did ask if he had a soare anchor, he came up with a sand pick but no chain attached. Also didn't have an anchor buoy so I had some sore muscles the next day.

The guy admits he is learning but as he had been to Fraser Isl twice towing his boat up i did expect better preparation. I have since advised him on the need for extra chain (loses the first anchor and you are guaranteed to lose the chain), the subtlies of an anchor buoy and keeping the crew happy. I am still thinking of how to improve a hook up on wire weed as I know a few spots where it is prevalent and I did have trouble abchoring in the past and I think I would like to get back to them.

finding_time
06-08-2010, 06:08 PM
Dignity

tripped plough mate! it's the only way you'll anchor accurately on wire weed, yes it does grow on sand so you need a sand anchor. I never use a reef pick even on the reef, and am yet to get my tripped plough stuck! A mooloolaba pick wont help you either it needs something to grab!

Dignity
06-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Finding Time, I happened to be out this afternoon and thought this might do the trick. I do have a friend who uses a normal sandanchor, cuts away the stops and drills a hole either side nthe shaft, he then insets a galv nail bends it over and this is all he ever uses, the idea being that if it gets caught the shaft will bend the nail away and flip the shaft over to the opposite direction. Hope that makes sense.

Dignity
06-08-2010, 07:49 PM
Finding time, Apologies for the bad editing but on my daughters PC using Vista (what a dog) and some unkown program but hope this works

-spiro-
06-08-2010, 10:35 PM
mate i use a Mlba pick on wire weed succsessfully but i have a fair chunk of a pick. As Ian said though a plough proberly is a better option.

oldboot
06-08-2010, 11:00 PM
One thing that I must make for myself is a reef pick made on flat steel rather than rod.

My sisters husband made him self one years ago....it holds pretty well in sand ( not as good as a blade or plough) and will still bend & pull out of reef.

to make one you make an "X" out of some flat mild steel and weld some pipe in the middle.

cheers

DALEPRICE
07-08-2010, 08:27 AM
the other guys have pretty well sumed it up for you dignity,
reef pick, plough or moolooabah pick they will all work its just a
personal choice and what seems to work for you.
you also must remember,
the chain will take the whip out of the rope when the boats rolling
around, the anchor holds the bottom. the pick will drag in the bottom
and pop off if the boat is whipping at pick.

cheers dale

Dignity
07-08-2010, 11:07 AM
mate i use a Mlba pick on wire weed succsessfully but i have a fair chunk of a pick. As Ian said though a plough proberly is a better option.

Spiro, what size are you using.

Sam

Dignity
07-08-2010, 11:11 AM
the other guys have pretty well sumed it up for you dignity,
reef pick, plough or moolooabah pick they will all work its just a
personal choice and what seems to work for you.
you also must remember,
the chain will take the whip out of the rope when the boats rolling
around, the anchor holds the bottom. the pick will drag in the bottom
and pop off if the boat is whipping at pick.

cheers dale

Dale,
I have sent him off to buy 2 lengths of chain (a spare) , an anchor buoy and a SS ring so I can make the anchoring set up for him. Also sending him all these posts so that he can decide which set up he would prefer as I don't want to spend 2 hours like the other night trying to get the anchor set. The other alternative is when going for the first time with some one I haven't been with is to take my gear along (wife's suggestion) but how much do you take.

Sam