PDA

View Full Version : Coroner slam's dodgy boat salesman

therapy
06-08-2010, 04:37 AM
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/breaking-news/coroner-slams-boat-salesman-scott-ohare/story-e6freonf-1225901665027

finga
06-08-2010, 07:07 AM
Good start.
Only bit that's a bit iffy is the boats older then 15 years needing to pass survey before been sold.
I've seen a lot of boats 3 years old that I wouldn't launch.

nigelr
06-08-2010, 08:03 AM
Due diligence or trust the sellers' description?
Is there really no effective Code Of Practice in this area?

Donny Boy
07-08-2010, 06:18 PM
Seems to me ( the way that was worded,) that the buyer would almost need to be a world authority on boats & engines.

Buyer beware is fine, .............but hey,..........the guy was in his 80's...............

When does asking advice overlap with ...........being a nuisance.?

( At least in the mind of the Old fella )

oldboot
08-08-2010, 10:43 AM
There are a several issues that remain totaly unaddressed in our world of recreational boating.

Inexperience and ignorance in boating seem to be the norm rather than the exception, combine that with a large portion of the communities ability and desire to buy large, powerfull boats....we have a reoccuring problem.

People think they can get in a boat of any size and just drive it, no need for any level of understanding, physical fitness or experience in boats.

Then there is the almost non existent regulation of recreational boats, no enforcable standards for seaworthyness and no requirement for inspection of any sort at anytime.

Combine that with a licence system that allows a person with a licence to drive a 6hp tiller steer dingy, to drive a boat of almost any size or speed capability as long as it is not for commercial use....no graduated licence system, no experience requirement, complete open slater on size, type and power.

and of course a piss poor level of on the water enforcement.

I know for may of us this is all very convienient, but it certainly would not be tolerated on land.....we have a situation where on land it can take a young person 3 years to get a basic open licence to drive a car..the same person could get a powerboat licence in almost any state in 2 days
and that will allow tham to drive almost anything not commercilay registered.

On the other hand you cant drive a powered commercial vessel of any size without some sort of specific licence ( that requires some significant studdy and examination)and log booked sea time.

sooner or later this all has to change.

cheers

onerabbit
08-08-2010, 02:39 PM
we have a situation where on land it can take a young person 3 years to get a basic open licence to drive a car..the same person could get a powerboat licence in almost any state in 2 days

Agreed, is a bit like giving a learner a semi licence,

Muzz

oldboot
08-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Yeh horespower and hull size have to come into boat licencing some time.

Under the current regulations you could skipper a hellishly fast or big sail boat on no licence at all as long as it had no motor.

My mate has a 7 tonne catamaran that will do over 15 knots.....that is a lot of responsibilty.....and that is not fast or large compared to others.

cheers

Marlin_Mike
08-08-2010, 03:09 PM
8 hours you have boat and jet ski license....... go figure.

Mike