PDA

View Full Version : Anchoring with ezylift & rope "dog"

Wayne_Red
05-08-2010, 11:30 PM
Hi Guys
I was sent a PM tonight by Fishfnq about a post I put in a thread a while ago about anchoring using an ezylift clip and a rope "dog" for want of a bettter term because I don't know what it is called, maybe someone will know what they are called, he was not sure what it was I was talking about or where he could get one.
So for his benefit and that of others I thought I would put up my anchoring system again with a few pics to help out.
I fish at sea alone at night a lot so for me my anchoring system has to be safe, fast and simple. For safety I have always have the anchor rope inside the boat, even when I had larger boats it is easier and safer not to go out on the bow or through a windscreen.
I have have a short paynter @6' long connected at all times to the bow bollard, the other end is connected to a bunge (pipe o ring, quite soft one, that would suit a 2' pipe) then a 1' rope to my rope "dog" (s/s rope clip I paid @$15)
I have an ezylift clip on a 300mm ball always hanging on a rod holded within reach but out of the way.
When anchoring I throw the anchor out on spot x and back into position. I grab the ezy lift clip/bouy and clip it on, pay out more rope so the bouy is about 20' off the bow, stick the anchor rope in the s/s dog and your at anchor.
What I find great about the ezylift clip over a ring is the clip holds the buoy 20' out from the bow. The anchor rope is horizontal off the bow to the buoy THEN angles down to the anchor, therfore the buoy is doing the work of a bunge in the swell and chop taking the shock off the anchor, you can watch the 300mm buoy bob under when the stain comes on, if you want more shock resistance put the bouy 40' off the bow. (I still use a bunge as stated above only because at times when only in 6-10m at times I don't use the buoy)
On retrieval I motor up to the buoy, unclip my s/s dog, let the buoy go past so it is astern then put the anchor rope into a "jam cleat" I have on the side gunwhale just behind the throttle control, and simply drive off slow and lift the anchor. I rest my hand on the anchor rope beside me and I can feel when the anchor is up. I then turn around and coil up as I head back to the bouy with my rope box positioned just in front of my feet.
I know some purists will say only pull of the bow and never the side or stern and that is correct but with the ezylift clip I find you only have to motor off slow all the way until the anchor is up and you soon know if you have a stuck anchor, then you can tie off to the bow and give it some, but 19 time out of 20 I find it works for me.
Hope this helps, to me its the easiest system you can have.
Regards Wayne

Wayne_Red
05-08-2010, 11:39 PM
oops photos were too big
Wayne

fishfnq
06-08-2010, 07:22 AM
Many thanks mate. You've gone to some effort there and it explains it well and thanks for the pics on that clip, mind you, I couldn't find a clip like that at Whitworths, so I'll check elsewhere, but at least I know what to look for. Cheers

Noelm
06-08-2010, 01:15 PM
the only problem with your setup, is, the bouy could get caught on the trampoline! (joking) there is a few variations on your setup, some are a large ring, some are a 1 way clip kind of thing, that allows the rope to slide along, but not the other way, I just drive off at an angle and wait untill the rope is up pretty high and just pull the whole lot in with no bouys are clips, but I have used them in the past.

Wayne_Red
06-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Yeh the ezylift is a one way clip, better than the ring IMO but I know a lot prefer the ring. Personal choice, I have used both.
Fishfnq, you could make one easy enough if you had to, just have to play around and get the gap right to suit the size rope but for $15 its not worth the effort if you can find one to buy.
Wayne

soulfish
06-08-2010, 07:26 PM
If you ever accidently cut off your anchor rope with your prop when retrieving with the ezylift you can kiss your float goodbye,with a ring it will resurface.

Dignity
06-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Wayne_reds system has one advantage that I can see and that is in rougher weather you dont have the bouy close up hitting the bow of the boat, this can be annoying at times and also makes driving off easier when the bouy is further away. I might have to invest in it myself.