PDA

View Full Version : Boat Import Cost/Time

LoungeLizard
05-08-2010, 08:32 AM
I was hoping the guys who have imported from the US can give me an idea of the total import costs. I've been reading through all the posts about importing a boat and it's been really great (thanks Flex, Predator, BoatBoy50, SnapperScott, WRXhoon) but some info is fairly old now, and also there is big differences in the costs mentioned, or no indication at all. I think a "database" will be really useful for everyone thinking of importing a boat

So, if you don't mind can you please post -

1. Total import cost in AUD or USD - don't include the actual boat cost*
2. Average exhange rate at the time
3. Method of transport - container, cradle etc.
4. Where in the US the boat was located
5. Time from starting the process until receiving the boat - don't include time spent looking for the boat (heck, I've been looking for YEARS now)
6. Any other info you think is useful

* I know the boat value will impact on import cost but I'd say there's a fairly small difference between (say) a $20K boat and a $50K one.

Vromme
05-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Imported in 2008 for a mate.

Dollar about 92cents at time of purchase
Boat bascially brand new (20hrs) bought $40k US all bells and whistles
Boat - 22' Grady White Seafarer 228, 250 yam, trailer
Used agent so no hassels at all - Approx costs $25k aus included;
transport from Texas to Florida - cleaning - packaging - remove hard top - transport to aus (on deck on trailer) GST/duties/cleaning here etc.

trailer mods $4k

From purchasing took around 2 to 3mths I think.

Prob would look at not importing trailer and getting one from here. Trailer was pretty crappy really for the quality of boat. May make import costs cheaper and get trailer you want.

hope this helps

Cheers

Roger

LoungeLizard
05-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Excellent info, much appreciated. I've read/heard that it's best getting a boat in drydock or without trailer and getting a trailer built over there to Aus standard.

wrxhoon
05-08-2010, 07:30 PM
If you find a boat without trailer buy a new ally trailer in USA , they are very cheap, all you have to do is make sure she is under 2.5 mts wide, when she gets here you have to change lights , wirring, add marker lights , a couple mudflaps and a new coupling . You can buy a new 3000kg ally trailer there from about US$4000 depending on brakes you want , add another 1200-1500 and you have one with S/S brakes. Gal trailers built here will not last the distance that this trailer will.
I have one with duratorque suspension and S/S brakes, she is 5 Yo now, the only maintenace in 5 years a new set of pads .

Cost to buy and land a boat here will depend on the size of the boat ( cubic mtrs) as much as the purchase price.

I don't want to go in to specifics but if you want to pm me or email: wrxhoon@yahoo.com
the boat you are looking at buying , giving the overal dimentions and price i can tell you how much she will cost you landed . If you tell me what the trailer is and what brakes she has I will tell you the cost to coply it with ADRS.

As a rough guide a 50 cbm combo ( a 21' boat trailer combo without hardtop) will cost you about US $9000 to ship including close land transport plus port charges, QT and customs here ( these will be around AU$2000 but will depend on what cleaning QT will want), if you buy a new boat more than likely will not want cleaning but the trailer may.
On the top of the above you have to pay 10% GST on all costs ( purchase price, sea and land transport in USA and here). As long as the boat/trailer and motor are built in USA if you do your homework you don't pay import duty.
If you want marine insurance its about $500-800 depending on cost of boat.

You need an import approval for the trailer from Canberra ( $50) before you ship any trailer, no import approval for the boat.
The ATO works out the axchange rate on the day she is exported, regardless of the actual rate you get.
Check with your bank what rate you can get , it will be lower than the actual rate on the day , banks want to make money too and I'm a shareholder .

Choose your boat carefully, not many 21'+ boats in USa that are under 2.5 mts ( the legal road width in AU ) unless you want to tow with permit , very restrictive in NSW as to time and roads you can use.

Lucky_Phill
05-08-2010, 07:40 PM
There is a sponsor in the Ausfish directories that will answer all your questions.

The directory link is at the top of this page.

But here is a quick link:-

http://www.ausfish.com.au/directories/listing.php?id=114

Cheers Phill

LoungeLizard
05-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Thanks Phill,

I'm aware of them as well as several other guys, both here and the US. For many people, myself included, it's useful to have as much info as possible before talking to those guys. Before I started reading of other peoples experiences here I didn't even know what questions to ask.

LoungeLizard
06-08-2010, 07:26 AM
Choose your boat carefully, not many 21'+ boats in USa that are under 2.5 mts ( the legal road width in AU ) unless you want to tow with permit , very restrictive in NSW as to time and roads you can use.

Thanks hoon, great reading. As far as I know Trophy and Grady White make 21' boats under 2.5m. Do you know of others? Luckily I'm in QLD so towing over-width is not as much of a hassle as NSW.

wrxhoon
06-08-2010, 12:46 PM
The only well known brands that I know of are Trophy 2002 and 2102 ( same boat , later model) and Grady white seafarer 226/228 ( again same boat with a pod), fisherman 222 , same as seafarer but C/C. The 21' Trophy C/C is 8'6", only the WA is under.

All other well known boats are 8'6" (2.59 mtrs) , the only other than comes close is the contender 21 and 23 open , they are both 8'3" (2.5146) just over by 14.6 mm. The dealer/importer in Sydney will tell you they are legal tow width 2.5 mtrs but its not true if you do the sums . In imperial measurements 8'2.5"=2.5019 so they have to be under 8'2.5" to be legal.

If you find any others let us know, I know Prolines and Seafoxes are 8'6".

If you decide to buy one over the legal width check with QLD RTA ( don't rely on what some chick on the phone will tell you , check on their website) when and where you can tow. In any case the trailer must be under 2.5 mtrs to comply and rego anywhere in AU.

Snapperscott
06-08-2010, 06:36 PM
Seriously Lizard ring Justin at Portsea Marine..

But my key considerations:
-no bottom paint
-4 stroke
-23ft
-aluminum trailer
-good electronics

It takes months of searching but you should be able to find one and land it for about $50-$60k on a boat around $25-$30k..

Gotta love QLD towing laws, up to 3m wide but need some flags, oversize signs and a heap of lights if towing at night or early morning.

Scott.

LoungeLizard
07-08-2010, 01:39 PM
The only well known brands that I know of are Trophy 2002 and 2102 ( same boat , later model) and Grady white seafarer 226/228 ( again same boat with a pod), fisherman 222 , same as seafarer but C/C. The 21' Trophy C/C is 8'6", only the WA is under

All the Trophys I've seen seem to have a Mariner/Mercury on the back - what's up with that? The GW's are nice but probably out of my league.

It takes months of searching but you should be able to find one and land it for about $50-$60k on a boat around $25-$30k..

So you'e saying $25K - $30K to import? I assume this is not in a container?

dodgyone
07-08-2010, 02:19 PM
Bayliner, Trophy, Mercury, Mariner, Northstar and heaps of others all owned by the same parent company in the US. Thats why they are generally sold as matched packages.

LoungeLizard
07-08-2010, 03:04 PM
Ahhh, explains a lot.

Flex
07-08-2010, 05:44 PM
Been towing my 21 striper around a bit last few months. Its not an Issue at 2.59m wide. But I'll only ever fish in QLD so its not a bother for me.

I have found fishing from a wider boat is much better in comparison to a haines or CC. Cockpit feels that little bit bigger.

I'd shop around on port and cleaning fees. My import costs were about $10k+ $6k broker/cleaning fees etc. Cleaning alone cost $1600 as my broker had to employ a third party to tow the boat for cleaning. I'd definitely price shop on brokerage fees.
I'd imagine anything over $20k total import cost would be on the high end for a boat under 23f at your average price range of $20-$40k for a US boat.

If I had my time over, I'd get a new trailer built over there. It's more of a hassle but its worth it. 99% of US trailers are to wide. you'll also find they are setup for smooth flat US roads, not our bouncy crap tracks. Their suspension and overall build toughness will be on the light side.
So if you get one built you can get bigger springs,axles and with an Aus coupling.

Also, there is alot of early 2000 US boats at great prices with 2 strokes. Why not buy the hull only and whack a brand new outboard on over there? I rekon you'd be surprised on how cheap you'll get a hull.

leezor
07-08-2010, 06:59 PM
I brought a 23 footer over in 2008, not sure if the costs are any different at the moment but all my costs and other details can be found at http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=124391.

Cheers,

Lee

LoungeLizard
08-08-2010, 08:20 AM
Flex,

Cheers mate, good info. I will definitely get a smicko trailer build over there, it looks like about $6K will get you everything you could wish for in a trailer. I'm also looking at the idea of buying an older Grady White and putting a new Honda or Yammie on it, as you said boat prices drop dramatically there once it's past 5 years old.

Leezor,

Read your whole thread, great reading.

Scott79
12-08-2010, 11:05 PM
Has anyone else got any first hand import costs ?

Scott.

wrxhoon
13-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Thinking of importing Scott?

portsea
13-08-2010, 02:57 PM
Hi Scott

Every boat is different, some things are constants but others are not, like size, location, type of boat can all change the costs.

Everyone has a story about this guy did this, got it in for this much ect. My advise is if you are serious and want to get a number call me on 0402 432 338

or email portseamarine@bigpond.com
www.portseamarine.com (http://www.portseamarine.com)

I can answer any specific question you have.

boatboy50
13-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Hey,

I can tell you of the guy who had his boat shipped out, only to have it locked on the wharfs when the shipping company didn't/wouldnt pay the shipping bill.

He ended up having to pay the bill again (even though he had proof it had been paid) to get his boat off the docks. Ended up costing him an extra 10k + on top of all the other costs.

I had some gear in his container, and went through the hold up and problems he went through.

Darren

Steeler
13-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Scott

Not wanting to be the devils advocate here but how long is a piece of string ?.

Reckon start from the beginning and find the right boat then go about the actual costs of getting it here,like Portsea says til you know this it really is an open ended question with no real answer accurate enough for you to make such a big decision on.

Getting a handle on the right procedures is good but costs are a stab in the dark til you find the actual rig you want.

Steeler

portsea
13-08-2010, 07:04 PM
Darren was that our friends out of Miami?

LoungeLizard
13-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Scott

Not wanting to be the devils advocate here but how long is a piece of string ?.

Reckon start from the beginning and find the right boat then go about the actual costs of getting it here,like Portsea says til you know this it really is an open ended question with no real answer accurate enough for you to make such a big decision on.

Getting a handle on the right procedures is good but costs are a stab in the dark til you find the actual rig you want.

Steeler

I disagree. If you KNOW someone has (for example) imported a 23" from Florida and you want to import the same size boat from the same area then you have a pretty good idea what to expect. What is the point searching for months for the right boat and then discovering it's too expensive to import? Forewarned is forearmed.

The whole idea of this thread was to allow people like myself to get an idea what a XXX sized boat from YYY using shipping method ZZZ is likely to set them back. I'm not expecting an answer to the nearest cent, and fully realise that there can (and probably will) be unexpected costs. I'm in the very early stages of looking at importing and is still considering whether is actually worth the effort or not. At this stage I don't want to talk to an agent/broker yet.

I can tell you of the guy who had his boat shipped out, only to have it locked on the wharfs when the shipping company didn't/wouldnt pay the shipping bill.

Care to tell us who the company was?

boatboy50
13-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Darren was that our friends out of Miami?

Hey Mate,

That's them. Watercraftmix. I and others on here have used them before with minimal problems. But the latest news I hear about them is not good. They don't answer emails or phones anymore either, yet I still get email updates from them.

Regards

Darren

Steeler
13-08-2010, 10:36 PM
I disagree. If you KNOW someone has (for example) imported a 23" from Florida and you want to import the same size boat from the same area then you have a pretty good idea what to expect. What is the point searching for months for the right boat and then discovering it's too expensive to import? Forewarned is forearmed.

The whole idea of this thread was to allow people like myself to get an idea what a XXX sized boat from YYY using shipping method ZZZ is likely to set them back. I'm not expecting an answer to the nearest cent, and fully realise that there can (and probably will) be unexpected costs. I'm in the very early stages of looking at importing and is still considering whether is actually worth the effort or not. At this stage I don't want to talk to an agent/broker yet.

Care to tell us who the company was?

Well wasn't that my point::),unless the circumstances are very similar there is no comparison::)

wrxhoon
14-08-2010, 12:29 PM
LoungeLizard (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/member.php?u=49749),

Why don't you just find a boat that you think you want to buy, put it up on here , giving the location, the dimentions ( they have to be 100% accurate) and the port you want to ship it to. I will give you the exact costs to that port including evrything using my transport company. I can even tell you what it will cost you to comply the trailer if you tell me waht king of brakes she has and if they work or not . The only variable will be the exchange rate and port costs in Australia, you can find that out from your broker ah and Q/T will want the boat/trailer cleaned and that will vary as well .
In a nutshell with our $ at US 0.90 or more it's well worth the effort but there are risks involved mate , you get nothing for nothing .....

LoungeLizard
14-08-2010, 01:35 PM
OK, hoon, let's give this a go. It'll be an interesting exercise:

I've been looking at this Grady White

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2004-GRADY-WHITE-208-Adventure-96652044

The boat is located in Hilton Head South Carolina. I'm not sure what the closest major port in the US is, probably Jacksonville FL, about 170 miles away. Shipping will be to Brisbane.

I want a new ally trailer built to to Aus spec, with the S/S discs and hydraulic/electric brakes. Can you price this up?

Dimensions? Without getting someone to measure it I wouldn't be able to tell you with 100% accuracy. However based on similar boats let's say for the sake of this exercise 7.5m (length) x 2.4m (height) x 2.5m (width) This is with the motor on the trailer, and can probably be shaved a bit by moving posts etc.

Steeler
14-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Might pay to browse some recent threads on those Yami's,that is pretty close in vintage off the top of my wooden head to the ones that had serious corrosion and pitting issues.

LoungeLizard
14-08-2010, 03:11 PM
I've seen some posts regarding those Yamaha's on THT but from what I've read the corrosion only becomes an issue at high hours, around 2000, but yeah, point taken about researching the motor. I'm also looking at some older Gradys with the idea of putting a brand new motor on.

HOOKLINEnSINKER
14-08-2010, 08:28 PM
i have just imported a 24ft boston whaler outrage. still in brisbane waiting for truck to deliver next week.
ha trailer made for $3900 stainless fitings and brakes . had it made for australia with plugs and cuppling etc...
cost breakdown for delivery is almost off putting but it comes to about $aus 12000.
then gst , cleaning fees i can give you a breakdown on all the stuff if you need.
make sure you get certificate of origin for boat/ trailer..you will save on duty. having said that they still slugged me on that as they wanted more proof of boat origin!! i mean its a dam boston whaler with serial number that tells them its made in USA. THEY ARE BUROCRATIC MORONS that dont actually look at the boat to see that its USA made but just go on paper work. anyway i will get that duty back as we do have a free trade agreement with usa at all costs!!.

was it worth it? iam not so sure total cost of the 2006 boat ,trailer,shipping, was around $78000 and still counting with t-top to get put back on freighting to cairns from brisbane and motor service . i think they go for about $90-95k
so the saving wasnt that great.
also tip for you dont exchange your $$ with bank go to a money exchange site like ozforex or xu they give you much better rate .you will save thousands

daniel

Scott79
14-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Thinking of importing Scott?

Mate, I have been thinking about it for a fair while - with varying levels of enthusiasm I must admit, and am always interested to hear about other people's experience in the subject.
There are a few negatives with the process, but the value in the US boats is hard to overlook.
Right at this moment I have done the full circle and am thinking buy something locally now and upgrade in a couple of years time - potentially to an import.
Scott.

LoungeLizard
15-08-2010, 07:40 AM
Mate, I have been thinking about it for a fair while - with varying levels of enthusiasm I must admit, and am always interested to hear about other people's experience in the subject.
There are a few negatives with the process, but the value in the US boats is hard to overlook.
Right at this moment I have done the full circle and am thinking buy something locally now and upgrade in a couple of years time - potentially to an import.
Scott.

Well that's kinda how I feel about the whole thing as well. There is no doubt that you save when importing BUT how much? Worth the risk and time/frustration?

The other thing is, it seems a lot of people are importing now so I'd guess it won't be too long before these boats hit the market and push down prices - adds another level of complexity.

wrxhoon
15-08-2010, 06:24 PM
OK, hoon, let's give this a go. It'll be an interesting exercise:

I've been looking at this Grady White

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2004-GRADY-WHITE-208-Adventure-96652044

The boat is located in Hilton Head South Carolina. I'm not sure what the closest major port in the US is, probably Jacksonville FL, about 170 miles away. Shipping will be to Brisbane.

I want a new ally trailer built to to Aus spec, with the S/S discs and hydraulic/electric brakes. Can you price this up?

Dimensions? Without getting someone to measure it I wouldn't be able to tell you with 100% accuracy. However based on similar boats let's say for the sake of this exercise 7.5m (length) x 2.4m (height) x 2.5m (width) This is with the motor on the trailer, and can probably be shaved a bit by moving posts etc.

Savannah will be the closest port from there in any case around the $400 mark to port.
As for the trailer you want to make/buy you cabn check yourself on costs by emailing or ringing tariler manufactures in Florida , the price will vay depending on several things , like how heavy you want it and how well you want it made , in any case you can get an ally trailer with S/S brakes and electric actuator with brakeaway for $5500 but you still have to change lights/ wiring etc... when she gets here .
I can't see you getting it at 7.5 mts so I'll work on 8 mts , other dimentions look about right so I'll work on 8. thats 48 cbm and I'll asume you pay $31 k for the boat.
Boat $31,000
Trailer $ 5,500
Land transport $ 400
marine insurance $ 600
Sea transport to Bris $ 7500
Shinkwrap $ 250

Total USD $45250 @say 0.89 = $50843 AU
ATO works the exchange rate on the day the boat leaves USA .

Tax $ 5084

Total $55927

This is your landing cost plus customs broker, customs entry, Q/t and port charges , these can vary a fair bit but around the $2000 should be on the money .
You will also need to pay a tow truck to take it to your place or where you going to do the work for compliancing, I don' t know how far but I will allow $ 300
If you get someone to do the trailer compiance for you you are looking at around $500 for lights wirring , mudflaps, reflectors etc. and a plate. In NSW you need to get a brown slip ( inspection) in QLD I think RTA still does that , in NSW it costs $70 add to that a weighbridge ticket, you have to take the boat off the trailer to do it. The trailer is not registered so either need a trade plate or a tow truck. You can work out what you are going to do .
Before shipment you need to have an import approval for the trailer from Canberra it costs $50 and can take up to 4 weeks at times depending on how busy they are . You can't ship before you have it .
$55927
$ 2000
Trailer costs minimum $ 700
Trailer rego and stamp duty 3% in NSW $ 400 Boat rego and boat code varification in NSW $ 150
Total $59177

Of course you have a lot of assumptions there including the exchange rate that could change anytime, towing fees in AU and Q/T clening fees that can vary as well as your broker fees.

You will not see the boat for at least 8-10 weeks after you pay for it .

There are risks with this, like the freight company going broke after you pay them and they don't pay the shipping company , you have to pay again to have it released .
The boat can be damaged on the way and they steal parts on the way .

LoungeLizard
15-08-2010, 06:56 PM
Thanks mate, lot of detail there. I'll have to read through it all thoroughly and try to get my head around it.

Scott79
15-08-2010, 10:48 PM
Thanks wrxhoon, that's the most relevant info and pricing I have seen on the process.
Anyone can spin the chocolate wheel and come up with a round figure - In fact I've done it plenty of times....
Thanks again.