PDA

View Full Version : Etec Trouble

rocky reefer
04-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Was wondering if anybody has had problems with 115 etec losing power when under way.

CHEE-FEE
04-08-2010, 10:15 PM
I've got a 130. No dramas with power, but watch your trim pump. If it's got a standard single ram pump, it will not hold the V4 weight and thrust. I had the original plus 2 more replaced under warranty. Once it was finally fitted with the twin ram pump, no more problems. It is a common problem with the V4's, as is a sometimes dodgey water pump housing, which causes the motor to run HOT and steam like a train. Keep an eye on these and, assumimg the engine is under warranty, get them fixed properly.

Cheers,
NICK.

Spaniard_King
05-08-2010, 07:29 AM
Any alarms associated with losing power??

Have you tried pumping the primer bulb to ensure fuel supply to the engine??

hakuna
05-08-2010, 08:27 AM
I agree with Spaniad_king, had that one before
was a small air leak in the fuel line. actually was the fuel seperater bowl not sealing properly, bugger to find

cheers

Noelm
05-08-2010, 08:28 AM
I think we need a better description of "losing power" like as in stops and cannot be started, motor slows down but keeps going, motor just surges?

lethal098
05-08-2010, 10:09 AM
why not take it to a dealer and get it sorted?

samson
05-08-2010, 11:26 AM
if it ain't a fuel restriction just hope it isn't your injectors i had a 115 etec and did about five injectors sometimes they would lose power fully and you would only get about 6 knots and other times they would drop out and come back or sometimes they would drop out totally but if i restarted the engine they would be okay again, but if it is injectors don't be tempted to get the old ones fixed replace them as the refurbed ones don't last for shit.

hino310
05-08-2010, 05:22 PM
if it ain't a fuel restriction just hope it isn't your injectors i had a 115 etec and did about five injectors sometimes they would lose power fully and you would only get about 6 knots and other times they would drop out and come back or sometimes they would drop out totally but if i restarted the engine they would be okay again, but if it is injectors don't be tempted to get the old ones fixed replace them as the refurbed ones don't last for shit.

no such thing as a re-furbished injector. If you have been sold a refubised injector, it is probably just a used one with some injecor cleaner run through it.

samson
05-08-2010, 05:28 PM
what i meant by refurbished is cleaned worked out less than half the price with no guarantee and lasted stuff all.

Captain Seaweed
05-08-2010, 06:26 PM
I've got a 130. No dramas with power, but watch your trim pump. If it's got a standard single ram pump, it will not hold the V4 weight and thrust. I had the original plus 2 more replaced under warranty. Once it was finally fitted with the twin ram pump, no more problems. It is a common problem with the V4's, as is a sometimes dodgey water pump housing, which causes the motor to run HOT and steam like a train. Keep an eye on these and, assumimg the engine is under warranty, get them fixed properly.

Cheers,
NICK.

Thanks Nick you cleared that up for me. I saw a bloke in an etec the other day and I though the outboard was on fire there was that much steam coming out of it. I was going to see if he was ok but he didnt seem bothered. Didnt see that on the etec promo cd!

culbara
05-08-2010, 07:38 PM
i have a 90hp etec has thirty hours on it had to have 3 injectors replaced under warranty so foar so not a good start

rocky reefer
05-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Any alarms associated with losing power??

Have you tried pumping the primer bulb to ensure fuel supply to the engine??
Hey Garry , No alarms have ever gone off for the motor, I have had the problem for over 6 months since the motor was around 18 months old and 150 hrs it has been in 4 times to be fixed. the map has been replaced in the computer, exhaust valves been replaced due to the sharft was worn and 3 sets of plugs have been burned out.
Cheers jason

rocky reefer
05-08-2010, 08:29 PM
I think we need a better description of "losing power" like as in stops and cannot be started, motor slows down but keeps going, motor just surges?
Hey Noelm
When the boat is under way at say 5000rpm, then it will suddenly drop by around 1000rpm to 2500rpm and back up then down and up as if there is rubbish in the fuel then it will fart and cough for a bit and then jump back up to the rpm it was doing. Have had fuel tank cleaned, filter replaced 3 times canister and inline, fuel lines replaced, filter bowl and casing 2 times, this motor has almost spent more time in the shop than in the water.
Thanks
Jason

rocky reefer
05-08-2010, 08:34 PM
Thanks samson
I will give the motor teck the heads up about the injectors and get them to check them as well, have tried about everything else that I can think of at this time.
Cheers Jason

Broomey
05-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Hi Rocky Reef,

Mate of mine had a similar problem with his 115, but he had no power getting out of the hole, for the first couple of minutes, it would just get to about 2800rpm and would'nt go any further, then after a couple of minutes it would pick up.and away he would go
He was'nt happy , so took a video showing what his boat was doing , compared to other 115's and even a 70hp 2 stroke{ which blew him off as well:o }, sent it to the Evenrude people. and after some threats , ended up with a new motor.

Worth a try!!:-?

rocky reefer
05-08-2010, 08:56 PM
Hi Rocky Reef,

Mate of mine had a similar problem with his 115, but he had no power getting out of the hole, for the first couple of minutes, it would just get to about 2800rpm and would'nt go any further, then after a couple of minutes it would pick up.and away he would go
He was'nt happy , so took a video showing what his boat was doing , compared to other 115's and even a 70hp 2 stroke{ which blew him off as well:o }, sent it to the Evenrude people. and after some threats , ended up with a new motor.

Worth a try!!:-?
That is the other thing that is happening, it is like a 2 stroke racing bike with power ban, bogs at the start and then snaps to high rev and have been up the teck about the top end . All the other 115s on 18ft boats hit around 70km top speed and this one can only get to 57km and that is only at 5750rpm which is top rev. The motor teck went to Bundaberg on Tuesday to talk to the etec rep and told them that I said I wanted a new motor because I was sick of the trouble and he recond that the laughed at him, and I am not real impressed about it at all.