PDA

View Full Version : Motor parts from the US

Jarrah Jack
04-08-2010, 12:31 PM
I ordered thermostats for my DF 70 Zuk and 40 Mariner / Tohy three weeks ago from the local dealer but are still showing no hope of arrival.

Spent a bit of time on the net and found the parts at less than half the quoted price in the US and put in an order. Most of us know the Boats.net site which helped me with the zuk but they are not allowed to send Merc parts OS. There is another site Mastertech which was able to help out with the harder to get parts.

Just finding serial numbers, which from the US site to match the tohy, was very difficult until I just sent a message to Mastertech and they organised the lot for me.

With the help of those sites and an official nissan/tohy site I was able to download in pfd form the parts diagrams and numbers of all three of my motors which is a great help if you are doing your own servicing. If you incorporate those with the manuals you get from readmanual.com at $8 each you just about have your own genuine workshop manual.

Just thought I would pass on that information for anyone thinking of doing their own servicing. Its worth spending a bit of time on the net before you first start ,not after, like I did.

Can't understand why it is so difficult to get simple parts like thermostats quickly in Aus, and I heard yamaha are just as difficult with gear box parts for instance. The importers just don't seem to hold a lot of stock and are not that quick or fussed about ordering, neverlone the priceing.

FNQCairns
04-08-2010, 12:39 PM
Yep totally agree. i give up how many time i have heard from the big brands over the years "none in Australia, will have to order from japan" and they will still charge you freight from their national warehouse for the item that was 4-5 weeks late!

The internet has been such a great help in bypassing this behaviour.

Noelm
04-08-2010, 12:59 PM
pretty bad for comon items I guess, but for really odd bits I guess there is an excuse for not having the parts in stock, they cant be expected to keep everything forever, but thermostats I would be disapointed if my "local" did not have them, or at least be able to get them in a day or so.