PDA

View Full Version : Backloading Boat to Perth

Splash
04-08-2010, 07:02 AM
HI .

I want to have my boat transported from Melb to Perth and would like to know of some good value transporters who can do this..

I have had quotes of around $4k for this one trip - way out of my league.

THoughts?

Splash

insideout
04-08-2010, 07:52 AM
Rail system maybe cheaper??

ashleyhj74
04-08-2010, 09:03 AM
$4000 is about right mate (one of the cheaper quotes i've heard of actually). If its that price they're adding it a existing load. It'd be closer to $10,000+ if it was by itself on a truck.

Scott nthQld
04-08-2010, 09:17 AM
Melb to Perth will be more than say Syd to perth. As it is not along the Main Line haul routes and as a result you will often have to pay for the return trip as well. You might get it a bit cheaper if you can find someone with a load that needs to come back the other way.

If it will fit, a container via rail will be the cheapest you will find and also the most secure. If you go this way, make sure to get coded bolts for the container so that when the container arrives, you can tell if it has been tampered with or not and can inform the freight company straight away, take photos of the container ans seals when closed and locked, and again when it arrives at its destination, that way, the freighters are responsible for any goods missing or damaged in transit if the locks have been tampered with. We had it happen at work once, about 100 grand worth of product was removed from the container which we followed up with a claim with QR becasue the seals were removed.

mejutty
04-08-2010, 01:15 PM
Last year I had a 6.5m Hardtop on trailer in from mel last year for $2600. I don't have the details of who it was on me but will find out. Company had the contract to bring caravans across to a place in bibra lake and they brught it across with one of their loads.

Hopefully not breaking rules but this is who I used http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Caravan-Boat-Car-Trailer-Interstate-Transport-Tow-Bike-/160460573620?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_All_Services&hash=item255c320bb4

Jarrah Jack
04-08-2010, 03:55 PM
No reflection on the above company but be sure to read their ( whoever you choose) insurance fine print carefully and inform your insurance company.

Good luck with it.

Splash
04-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Thanks guys - all very informative posts..

I'll check rail and that caravan guy.

Splash

Splash
04-08-2010, 05:29 PM
what is the name of the freight train rail service that hauls containers Melb to Perth? The Overlander does not haul freight.

I suspect my boat is just a bit wider than the internal width of the container (2.31m).

I need to have boat measured tomorrow....

Splash

The Mad Cat
04-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Hi Splash,
A pallet wide high cube container is 2.41m wide and 5.9m long and 2.7 high inside. The length is usually the problem as it is a very short boat on a trailer that will fit in a 6m container. A 12m is going to cost a lot more and then there's the hire cost and you will be charged the cost of getting it back to Melbourne.
Try Freight Match and Load Shift on Google.

TMC

Splash
04-08-2010, 06:29 PM
Thanks.

The total trailer length as well as overhang prop. is likely to be over 7m.

The boat is not with me atm so I am unable to measure exact dims.

It is likely I will need the 40ft container and I can also use the extra length for carting other stuff as well..

Do you know the name of the freight train rail service that hauls containers Melb to Perth? This information is not real clear on internet.

What I really want to do is this:
1) Hire a 40ft container and have it delivered to my collection point.
2) Load boat into container myself.
3) Pay someone to collect container and put it onto freight train.
4) Pay freight train rail service to haul this container to Perth.
5) Pay someone to collect container and drop container to my new place of storage/residence.
6) Pay whoever to return container (by rail) to hire company.

Is this possible?

If so, who in rail do I speak to obtain a quote to haul 1 40ft container?

Preferred container hire companies in Melb?

Splash.

finding_time
04-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Drive it over Splash! 3500 kms, 3 easy days there and about 650 l of fuel depending on type of boat and car! The roads great!

Aussie123
04-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Give Trewin Transport a call for a quote.
They have depots in Melb and Perth and do weekly runs across to Perth.
These guys will look after your boat like its their own.
http://www.trewintransport.com.au/index.html
Lance

White Pointer
04-08-2010, 09:34 PM
G'day,

Try shipping by sea. A lot of pretty empty ships sail around Australia these days. For example, car companies use the empty space on car carriers to move cars from Melbourne and Adelaide.

Regards,

White Pointer

Splash
04-08-2010, 10:18 PM
wow -

thanks again guys.

Splash

Scott nthQld
05-08-2010, 08:23 AM
Spalsh for a container using rail, give FCL a call, that's who we use at work for domestic freight. They'll take care of everything, dropoff of container to load, carrying it to the rail yards, organising the rail spot, and pick up and delivery to your final destination. Also FCL being one of the biggest going, it is very unlikely you will have to pay to move an empty box, they'll have another job waiting, nearly as soon as your done unloading

tunaticer
05-08-2010, 05:42 PM
As a guide, a month ago i sent one pallet weighing 410kgs to Perth from Brisbane using the cheapest carrier I could find. Cost was $362 and 6 days from my place to the destination. It is not a boat I know, but it is an indication of weight pricing and cubic meterage. The pallet was 116cm x 116cm and 96cm tall (nearly 1.3 cubic metres).

Splash
06-08-2010, 05:47 PM
If it will fit, a container via rail will be the cheapest you will find and also the most secure. If you go this way, make sure to get coded bolts for the container so that when the container arrives, you can tell if it has been tampered with or not and can inform the freight company straight away, take photos of the container ans seals when closed and locked, and again when it arrives at its destination, that way, the freighters are responsible for any goods missing or damaged in transit if the locks have been tampered with.

Scott.

WHat are these coded bolts called to buy in shops?

Where can I get them?

Splash

Splash
12-08-2010, 08:44 PM
Hi again.

Done some mroe investigation and can get a container if I choose at a reasonable rate.

Now, what I have been informed is that if I did place my boat inside a container and railed, the jerky movements of travel may damage the hull and side, etc.

Your thoughts on this and confirm if it is true?

THe extreme width of my boat is just on 2.29m and the total internal width is 2.35m. I am choosign a 40ft (12m) container so I have plenty of room length wise for my 7m trailer.

Or, would the boat be more expose to potential damage ontop of a flatbed trailer?

Splash