PDA

View Full Version : Professional AntiFoul Removal

top_deck69
02-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Hi All,

I am looking at potentially purchasing a boat (2008) that has been antifouled

I have read through many of the previous articles but an not really interested in to DIY route...

Does anyone have any recommendations for getting antifoul professionally removed from a 5m glass boat.

I am looking for somewhere that I can also get the bottom redone either painted of the gelcoat restored and rebuffed.

Alternatively I was thinking of getting it soda blasted and then painted.

Also what would be a reasonable cost. I have one quote for $3500 to get then whole thing back to a near original finish.

Thanks
Ben

Spot82
02-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Parents got a quote to soda blast the antifoul off the cruisecraft, $200/hr and were told approx 4 hours to do the 6.25m boat. The question is will it need to be re gelcoated or painted after. $3500 seems fairly expensive?

top_deck69
02-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the reply,

One question, how to they sodablast a boat on a trailer?? do you need to get it lifted or can they do it whilst the boat is still on the trailer?

thanks
Ben

wrxhoon
03-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Sod ablast is the cheapest way around it, they will lift the boat of the trailer.
As the boat is fairly new if the antifouling is in good nick , you should get away without repainting .
I did one a few years ago and she was fine ( she was 4 Yo and was antifouled every year ).
I don't know why you want to buy a 5 mt boat with antifoul on it though, you should be able to find plenty without ... Boats left in the water age very quick.