PDA

View Full Version : Yalta Owners - Comments Please

Marlin_Mike
02-08-2010, 06:49 AM
Looking at getting back on the water. Interested in a nice looking Yalta, 18ft Half Cab with 135 mERCURY.

Interested in any comments or feedback from Yalta owners.

How do they travel in a chop, off shore? They sit OK at anchor/rest.

Appreciate any comments.

Mike

odes20
02-08-2010, 01:15 PM
What year or model is it Mike?

John

Marlin_Mike
02-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Haven't found out yet, but here she is, pics below. On ebay

Mike

Marlin_Mike
02-08-2010, 08:51 PM
Sorry John, owner says motor and boat 1998

Mike

odes20
03-08-2010, 05:20 AM
Its called an Odessa 189. I have the longer version of this boat which is called the Odessa 2000.

I have a friend who has the exact same boat as you are considering. He loves it and fishes offshore in it regularly off Cairns. Takes his teenage kids out whenever he can . It has a 115 Yammy 2 stroke but he has just bought an Etec 150 hp which will make it fly. These were made with a 20 inch transom and we are going to rebuild his transom as its shot and make it to a 25 inch height. So you will need to be aware of this if you are considering repowering at some time. Also you need to do your research and have the transom and floors/stringers checked out as with any boat of that age it can be a problem . The Yaltas are still made today and they are top boats Do a search on here as there is an Yalta appreciation thread which is a good read..
Cheers
John

honda900
03-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Mike,

I have been in a 535 (later model the one you are looking at) and I own a 555, they ride very well in an offshore chop. doesnt mis behave in a following sea, never had it broach, quite easy to drive.

There is a yalta owners thread in the boating chat which has a couple of the older hulls, you might want to pm a couple of the owners but they are all pretty happy with there boats.

Hope that helps

Regards
Honda.

Marlin_Mike
03-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Mike,

I have been in a 535 (later model the one you are looking at) and I own a 555, they ride very well in an offshore chop. doesnt mis behave in a following sea, never had it broach, quite easy to drive.

There is a yalta owners thread in the boating chat which has a couple of the older hulls, you might want to pm a couple of the owners but they are all pretty happy with there boats.

Hope that helps

Regards
Honda.

Thanks Honda. I read the owners thread, some good info all sound happy with theirs.

Mike

Goochi
15-09-2010, 08:37 AM
Hi Mike,

Have you bought it yet? I have a Yalta 189, I love the ride; it handles the short nasty chop we get up here inside the reef really well. It's a comforable soft riding hull, the only drawback is it's a bit wet - flicks spray over top. I don't find stability at rest a bit issue, it won't be as stable as a hull with a flatter bottom but I'd rather come home with my back and knees intact. A 135 sounds like just the right size, mine has a 115 and its good but 135 would be better. My top speed used to be about 60km/h. I've been out in my mates Haines Signature, he gets better economy with the Haines planning strakes but the ride is not as soft in the chop.

Hope that helps

Brian.