PDA

View Full Version : Perth Boat Ramps (Coastal) Recs?

Splash
01-08-2010, 10:05 PM
http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/imarine/19106.asp

This link shows all of the costal boat ramps NOR and SOR in Perth.

Those of you who frequent the Perth costal boat ramp scene, which ramp offers the best access to blue water fishing and is the best organised (if that is possible, etc)??

I need to decide where I want to store the boat and possibly reside in the Perth region.

Splash

Tazmaniac
01-08-2010, 11:59 PM
I assume you have a reasonable sized boat if you intend bluewater fishing. That being the case the most suitable ramps of those listed are probably Hillarys to the north and either Woodmans Point or Point Peron to the south. All of these ramps do become very busy at times though. If you require storage then Woodmans Point would be the better option as there are several boat storage facilities around the Fremantle area.
Hope that helps you a little.
Cheers, Taz

Splash
02-08-2010, 12:31 AM
thanks Taz.

Do u know which of these 2 ramps (Hillarys, Woodmans Point) are best for accessing productive fishing grounds up to 40k out?

Splash

Tazmaniac
02-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Splash,
As the old saying goes, 6 of one and half a dozen of the other !
All my fishing is south of Woodies, as that is were I live.
I went on a charter out from Hillarys once but that is my only experience up that way. Howver, if you know what you are doing and where to go you will catch fish out from either of these ramps.
Taz

Splash
04-08-2010, 06:57 AM
thanks Taz.

which boat ramp do u mostly use?

Splash

Tazmaniac
04-08-2010, 08:09 AM
I am a member of the Mangles Bay Fishing Club and we have our own private ramp. That is located near the Point Peron Ramp in the Rockingham area
Taz

stabi 659
04-08-2010, 01:50 PM
When i lived in Perth i mostly launched from Woodmans point as this was the most accessable for me due to location from Thornlie. If you do decide to base this as your launch point have a look at the boat club (not sure of name) next door as you will not have to put up with the issues of waiting for idiots on a nice day to launch and retreive.

I fished up to 70km off shore from here and is a bit of a further run out then say Freo or Mindarie as you need to cover the 10km or so across cockburn sound before you get out but some good ground in close on the 5 fathom bank if the weather is a bit ordinary. Some of the best snapper fishing in WA inside Cockburn sound.

Have a look at a mate's website, www.fishwrecked.com (http://www.fishwrecked.com) for all the info you need. Same sort of forum as Ausfish yet for WA.

Cheers

Tazmaniac
04-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Splash,
The club Stabi is refering to is the Cockburn Powerboat Association and is a great club with very good facilities and a first class private ramp.The club ramp is right along side the public ramp, with a fence separating them. Membership is worth every cent to avoid the hassles and "ramp rage"that does occur.
Taz

Splash
06-08-2010, 07:26 PM
thanks guys.

Done some more research and we have decided to live in Sorrento area (NOR).

Any boat storage facilities around Sorrento (like Woodmans Point)?

Now thinking of using Hilliary's Boat Ramp.

Splash

Matt_F
06-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Hi Splash,

If you want to access productive fishing grounds, DON'T MOVE TO PERTH.

I've used hillaries which is a good ramp, but it will cost you $6.00 (the machine only takes coins, go figure.....) a pop and the line up once the doctor starts blowing you will have to line up for an hour get the boat back on the trialer. Two rocks is good, but will cost you $6.00 too. I prefer two rocks as there seems to be fewer boats launched there. I haven't used the southern ramps.

Having said that I'm from FNQ where the fishing is awsome and the boat ramps are free, so I have been spoilt before moving here.

Matt.

Splash
07-08-2010, 09:06 AM
Many thanks Matt for the good tips.

I agree FNQ provides best fishing!

http://www.hotbite.com.au/content/fishing_articles_wa/?artid=110&thePage=3

This link above describes Two Rocks.

What fishing grounds are easily accessible from this Marina as opposed to Hillarys Boat Ramp?

How far is Two Rocks to Hillarys?

Splash

Matt_F
14-08-2010, 05:49 PM
I'm probably not the best person to ask about the best fishing grounds.

Two rocks is only about a 45min drive north of Hillarys.

Matt.

Splash
28-12-2010, 12:28 AM
update guys...

i have now settled in North Lake / Murdoch - which is around 20min drive to Woodmans Point Ramp.

My boat is now stored at the Cockburn Pleasure Marine Storage and likely to become a member of Cockburn Powerboat Association.

how many kms to the good fishing grounds around and beyond Rotnest Island?

tips / traps for fishing this area??

thanks for your help.

stabi 659
28-12-2010, 08:13 AM
Fish anywhere on the 5 fathom for snaps and Dhu fish or out to th 100mtrs ++ grounds. Have a chat with a few locals as there is plenty of fishing out the back of Garden Island. Just look around and sound out good lumps. Put in the time and you will be rewarded. Would give you some marks but sold my GPS with all my Perth drops.

When the crays are running fish the cray pots. Spend a bit of time following the pots around and mark them. When the pots are gone have another look as they usually fish well. This is where i got most of my drops and they all fished well on different days.

You can travel up to 50km if you want to fish the wrecks in 100mtrs for sambo's and snapper, same to fish the back of rotto and plenty of grounds in between. Dolphin fish around the FADS in summer and the odd Mackie out the back of Rotto in Summer.

Good luck

Splash
28-12-2010, 03:35 PM
thanks stabi.

unfortunate about those gps marks going with your gps... :-(

do cray pots have a marker on top of the water's surface?

otherwise, how do you follow the cray pots?

what period (dates) to the crays normally run for?

Is "100mtrs ++ grounds" an actual mark/spot with a known co-ordinate?

what about the wind and when is it best to be back on shore before the wind picks up?

how much do tides have influence on this fishing out there?

Splash