PDA

View Full Version : Leaving boat in water

NTMID8
01-08-2010, 12:15 AM
Hey guys,

Im heading down to Coffin Bay for a week shortly and the place im staying at has its own moring pontoon. I plan to launch the boat on arrival then leave it in the water for the week, is this a bad thing? ive always been told i should flush the motor with fresh water after every use, will not doing it for a week (with regular use) be bad for it? Would i be better off to keep launching/retrieving as i go out?

Cheers in advance

tigermullet
01-08-2010, 01:04 AM
From our experience, you should not have a problem. Our motor, a Tohatsu, has been on a moored boat for seven years without ever being flushed. No sign of a problem yet - we have never had to even clean out salt encrustation from the tell tale.

The little dinghy motor is also left unflushed for weeks at a time and it's 25 years old.

deckie
01-08-2010, 02:57 AM
No problem at all. Good flush when u get home.
What does the ocean offer up there other than great oysters ? Fishin good ?

NTMID8
01-08-2010, 12:28 PM
No problem at all. Good flush when u get home.
What does the ocean offer up there other than great oysters ? Fishin good ?

Not really sure, a bit of a suck and see...

A good mate goes out from there a bit, but he goes 100 + km off to catch tuna, i hear there is some good whiting and snapper drops not to far off so i will see how it goes.

Cheers for everyones help

Jarrah Jack
01-08-2010, 03:10 PM
What about the big kingies at P Agusta on the way. Snapper at Wyalla..Arno Bay for big whiting and snapper. Great place of the world. Coffin Bay I hear is magic..Expect some decent fish reports..Have a good trip.

NTMID8
01-08-2010, 03:20 PM
I live in Adelaide but keep my boat in Wallaroo, heading to Whyalla for 2 nights, then a night at Tumby bay then down to Coffins with a day trip to Lincoln. Im taking the wife and sister-in-law, plus her partner so i need to also be "shopping ready" apparantely lol.

Bigash
01-08-2010, 03:51 PM
boat should be fine, just lift the motor up out the water & tie it off properly.
waters pretty clean down there but i would wash it off before it dries.
if there is any growth on the boat don't let it dry, shouldn't be a problem after a week.
wonderful part of the world
cheers
BigAsh

cormorant
01-08-2010, 07:00 PM
For a boat without antifoul we sometimes get the coral worm shells growing after a few days ( PIA to remove) so we buy a cheap poly tarp and just tie it under the boat every night like a boatbag. As there is no moving water there is no growth. Depends how bad the growth is in that area.

snodger 08
01-08-2010, 08:58 PM
whiting around the oyster racks near the town (you will see them on low tide on worm or small bits of squid, and plenty of Aust. salmon on small silver slugs. some big rays there as well. Ask the locals when you get there, they will let you know where to find the snapper drop offs in the bay. Top place hey.

Coontakinta
01-08-2010, 09:04 PM
whiting around the oyster racks near the town (you will see them on low tide on worm or small bits of squid, and plenty of Aust. salmon on small silver slugs. some big rays there as well. Ask the locals when you get there, they will let you know where to find the snapper drop offs in the bay. Top place hey.

and kings, dont forget the kings, although perhaps still a little early