PDA

View Full Version : Boat hull onto old tyres for trailer repair

dreemon
31-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Hi all, I want to remove some rust off the trailer and need the boat off of it, I have 4 old 31in tyres to place under if needed but would like to know a good method of placement of tyres, in line or 2 at the rear or. . . . that part of it, it will go on a lawn too, also it is a tilt trailer so I think it will make it easyier to R & R,
Thanks & Cheers.

surveyor
31-07-2010, 01:54 PM
hi had to do this a few times lately found it works quite well just to put the tires under the centre and youll find it tips from one side to the other quite easy so just get some mates to hold it and place a tyre uprite under each chine or piece of wood just to support it its easier with not so wide tyres down the centre then if you have a good drive on trailer just back the trailer up unhithch it and winches up preety easy good luck

FNQCairns
31-07-2010, 04:07 PM
inline is the go, two or 3 even up front can help with the wind back on. Often boat will hold it's own but still i used to place a plastic drum/bucket under each side of the hull to stabilise, these props effectively hold no weigh unless someone hops in.

dreemon
31-07-2010, 05:14 PM
guess I wonder more how it'll be getting it back onto the trailer if it'll be leaning too much, will do this mid week so prob only the misses to help , I yell at her enough at the ramp, what will this be like? :-? she'll help with launching onto the lawn and maybee have a mate help with gitting it back on, be nice if it's sitting somewhat level to start with or will it just right itself even if the studs i fit to balance it fall away when winching it back up?

I'm thinking if tyres are at both sides of the stern it will stay a little level while reversing and whinghing?, the tyres are 31 in x 10 1/2 , thanks again !

Chimo
31-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Hi Dreemon

I found the easiest way to get it back on was to unhitch the trailer and as you winch the boat the trailer moves under the boat.

Leave the bow a meter or so short of the winch post and the trailer pull weight is lower so you can lift it with one hand to put it on the tow ball, then winch it all the way to the winch post. Same trick for beach retrieve if you use a long rope and pull the trailer out as you drive along the beach. Then you back up to the trailer, lift it with one hand, drop it onto the ball and wind the boat on the resat tof the way. Easy beasy, dont tell everybody or we wont get to watch beach retrieve boggings and other dramas!

Also a couple or three tyres high at the bow and taper down to the stern with only one tyre at the stern.

Its not too hard and heaps easier if the trailer is off the vehicle.

I'm on the GC too so if you get into trouble and you want some company yell. I love to watch boating dramas esp at the Sundale around Xmas with all the new Captains......... just part of GOM life I guess.

Cheers
Chimo

Jarrah Jack
31-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Yeah Don't worry about putting it back on Dreemon. Just did mine last week and put the boat on the way Comorant recommended and it worked very easily. Don't use the tilt as I tried and its not as good, I gave up on that and had to start again.

charleville
31-07-2010, 06:16 PM
This does not answer your direct question but I have often thought that it should not be too hard to knock up something like this, using maybe a hydraulic jack instead of the winch....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3tu8raJfFA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l1EZi87Otc&feature=related

The gadget sure makes lifting a boat off a trailer look very easy. Reversing the process puts the boat back on the trailer.

whiteman
31-07-2010, 06:19 PM
I put a tyre each side rear and works well (don't forget to loosen transducer). Winching back on I use the tilt trailer. So based on all this, there is no best way, whatever feels safest. A 10:1 winch helps get the a*** off the grass.

dreemon
31-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Thanks heaps for the tips ;D,
J. J. I thought for sure the tilt would assist in some way but will take the advise from someone who knows from experience Cheers.

Lol , I just read yours whiteman saying the tilt helps, pretty sure it'll go on one way or anouther.

Chimo thanks for th offer and the top advise, if it works on the beach it should be easier without the waves.

Charleville, great vid the first one, Chicks with a set of brains but if there so smart why are they girls;D not sure I need all that but would be handy if I had the space to store all the gear. thanks mates.

dnej
31-07-2010, 08:30 PM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=68894&highlight=drums
Try that link
David

deckie
01-08-2010, 02:29 AM
Alternatively if u want to double up and fix any scratches/gouges underneath or just slicken her up you can quickly knock up a cradle like this. Took an afternoon with about $30 of wood and gal coach screws from local hardware. Bigger/heavier the rig obviously the better/stronger it needs to be built. Bear in mind this one is only holding up about 550kg total (no donk and stripped bare during a renov). Easy both on and off due to height off the ground....also found like others above that unhooking trailer is better for retrieve. Trailer is pulled under the boat for a fair part of retrieval rather than boat dragged onto it. Definitely leave a little short before hooking back onto towball and finishing.
Tyres work perfectly well for quick on/off...just beware the transducers and side rolling.
Steve.

dreemon
01-08-2010, 07:09 AM
Deckie, how do ya get it onto the cradle? the frame looks like it'll support a hull well and I do have some repairs needed to the bott of the boat,

looks like theres quite a few ways to skin a cat, all great advise , the R&R will be heaps more fun than grinding and painting the trailer ;) Thanks again.

deckie
01-08-2010, 09:44 AM
Deckie, how do ya get it onto the cradle? the frame looks like it'll support a hull well and I do have some repairs needed to the bott of the boat,

looks like theres quite a few ways to skin a cat, all great advise , the R&R will be heaps more fun than grinding and painting the trailer ;) Thanks again.

Pretty easy to get her on...easier than i thought it'd be. Be even easier if u had some of that blue teflon leftover from someones trailer skids instead of the grizzly carpet i put on. It aint that expensive anyway and would be the way i;d go next time.
Just build it making sure the height is a little below the arse when on the trailer...and the skids are at a width in between the chines. allow for the height of the base skids that run full length and contact the ground..used some ratty old hardwood for these but the rest was el cheapo softwood. A decent job would be better with low grade hardwood of any description. Coach bolts a must i reckon....once again gal coachscrews arnt that expensive and overkill feels safer when underneath it sanding/rubbing away. Nails used to just line up the bits before the holes/screws go in. No need to be anal about it...just whack em in. This one never meant to be permanent due to being softwood cheapo but it was damn solid and i got the impression she could easily cope with another 200kgs or more.

Find a flat or (even better) slightly downhill spot and back the trailer up...go round the back and get the cradle squared up between the chines and even. Slip the boat off a little keeping the chain/cable on and keep pushing the cradle in from the back a bit at a time..chock the wheels (both directions) before each nudge off...after a minute or so the weight will start to be on the cradle. recheck its inline regulalry then after a short while u get to a point where u feel comfy enough to give her a fair old push and surprisingly easy (with 2 guys) to push it off. First time i had a mate pulling via rope on both ski hooks at the back whilst i pushed at the front but second time just both pushed from the front was just as easy.

Keep pushing till the bum hangs off the back about 0.5m with the cradle about 2m long that'll take about 75% of total weight i reckon. Just use a decent car stand/jack at the bow with some more carpet.

Felt comfy underneath safety wise but still damn awkward on your back to sand/rub despite being raised. Not until u get under there u realise just how many gouges u pick up along the way. Filled then LIGHT rubbing with fine wet and dry (800) and a light rubbing compound or 1200 wet and dry and they come up sllliiiiickkkkkkkkkkkk. The serious kids on small racing yachts likes lasers and moths often go to 2000 grit.
Key is not to rub anything off just sand lightly...like polishing. Dont use wax/waxy compounds underneath coz i;m pretty sure i read somewhere that the yachties prove it actually slows u down....no idea why but took their word for it.

Anyway...she's been sitting outside in the rain for months now and still looks ok. had it off for a month or so then twice again for about a week each time. Being softwood i plan on chucking it soon after rescuing the coachscrews. Looks like she'd still be fine. I guess if anyone in my area has a LIGHT rig they could come get it. But really not hard to make fairly fast...perfect job between Sunday beers.

When u think about it...guys on here should gang together and build decent (stronger hardwood) ones between them that'll last...only need one cradle between about 4 boats and just swap it around between them when needed. Makes it so damn easy to do repairs to trailer/boat and can do it over time.

Jarrah Jack
01-08-2010, 11:36 AM
You can get quality hardwood real cheap from any demo yard..

I would be careful about putting too much weight on too small an area of the hull for any time. Stripped and with the motor off makes it a lot easier. I would be inclined to use two lengths of 250 x 50 oregon and shape it with an electric plane so it fits along the length of the hull a bit further than in the pic.

I heard an ominous crack once when I was moveing my yacht hull so tend to be wary now.

What are you going to paint the trailer with Dreemon? I just did a lot of welding on mine and added heaps of gussets. Used pre gal steel sprayed with heaps of gold gal then painted the whole lot with that black weather proofing bitumen rubber paint with a brush. One diluted primer coat then heaps of thick stuff afterwards. Suprisingly it looks real neat and shiney although it wasn't the intention. I just wanted a very durable finish.

Good luck with it all.

dreemon
02-08-2010, 07:23 AM
deckie I wish I had space to build and have the boat up in the air for a week, but I actually have to dump the boat off on a mates lawn, the hull is taking on abit of water, about 2 cups for 5 hrs on the water, not extreme but would rather none.
by the look of it if I did get it slick as snot I could probly gain 1 or 2 kph.

wonder if i could tip it over enough to do one side at a time?

J. j. the surface rust is only at the rear " axles and back" and not really bad for a trailer this old, made by McKenzie? angle grinder with wire wheel then painting it with cold galv, etch primer then kill rust , it's a 3 part system, I know theres better stuff but with fish oil sprayed on it should hold back the c rust, Cheers

deckie
02-08-2010, 09:20 AM
Sounds good mate..the tyres work well if u dont need to get under it. Maybe u can tilt her as u say.
Rust doesnt sound too bad but good time of year to stop it spreading. Wouldnt go grinding/brushing off the old gal coz cold gal actually works by contact with the old gal. Sounds like a bit of a job ahead.
I'd be reseating and resealing the bungs first up as the #1 suspect for the two cups of water.
Should come off the trailer nice and easy without drama...good luck.

dreemon
02-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Didn't bother with repairs to the hull but got the thing back on the trailer, it was dark when we did and that was a mistake cause we didn't spot one of the tyres when winding on made it havoc,

also found it prob woulda've been easyier " maybee" if it were stilll hitched to the tow ball because of the tails at rhe rear from the rollers digging into the grass, I did place some boards under to try and let the tails slide but they moved to much so at the end we just skull dragged it on and only pulled the tranny off, easy fix with washers,

trailer looks good and all rubbed back with wet/dry 1200 like it'll go for anouther 25 yrs, (yeah right), but wiser for next time Cheers and thanks guys:D