PDA

View Full Version : Rae Line Swell Ride

TREVELLY
28-07-2010, 06:26 AM
Hi,

Have anyone fitted the Rae Line Swell Ride mini shock absorbers onto top of seat boxes and offer an opinion.

A mate and I want to improve the ride in our boat for offshore trips - too many jarring 20-25knot trips recently.

We are both in the 90-100kg range.

Have you found weight to impact on performance?

Thanks for any useful feedback.

catcrab
29-07-2010, 12:47 AM
hi trevelly, i fitted a pair of swell ride pedestals ,(Large ones 450 to 580mm travel) i found them very good and improved the comfort of the ride,although a little unusual feel at first, i have changed boats, back to an ally, so i will defjnatley be putting a pair in this boat, i'm 95kgs, hope that helps,
Drew.

TREVELLY
02-08-2010, 06:39 PM
I have ordered a couple of swell ride shock absorbers and upgrading the seats and fitting fore/aft sliders to both seats.

I will take a couple of pics and post a review.

Should get them next week.

TREVELLY
06-10-2010, 05:50 AM
Well I got the bits and pieces.

The swellrides unfortunately rattled in one and the other wobbled.

Rae-line were good to arrange courier collection and return in good order within a week - so no complaints - just had to make do one weekend and improvise to get out with two seats.

The boat they are going into is a 6.25 Noble centre cab. the existing seats are too close to cabin sides as it hits this in a bumpy swell and there is also a bolt at the hinge here which only makes it worse.

The existing seats have the foam base which is barely adequate in a bumpy sea and uncomfortable on a long thumping run over hours - often 3 to 4 hours.

TREVELLY
06-10-2010, 05:53 AM
The raeline seats looked great and I was looking forward to getting them into place.

My passenger is generally shorter than me so I had to lower that seat box by 300mm and my seat box by 150mm to fit the swellride and seat and get the desired levels.

TREVELLY
06-10-2010, 05:57 AM
Father-in-law assisted with fitout and we got the seats in place with out too much effort or hassle.

He used the aluminium cutting wheel on angle grinder which was more effective than the hack-saw. I was at first hesitant to see if the cutting wheel burn the paint - but no problems.

Son even got in on the installation act :)

TREVELLY
06-10-2010, 06:01 AM
I have since installing taken the boat out on a bumpy day 70km each way to deep tempest and 50km each way to barwon banks.

Have to admit I am pleased with the result as the ride is comfortable - sitting all the time in any rideable sea - which for me is all the time.

I find the seats now a few inches further away from the cabin posts make for plenty of space to allow the boat to bounce about in transit without hitting me anymore on the shoulder.

The seats are very comfortable and the ride good.

One happy customer ;D

I am 180cm tall and weigh 90kg - FIL is at least 120kg and we both found the ride and set up good.

TREVELLY
06-10-2010, 06:13 AM
I will make two small changes - purely for the sake of perfection.

I will move the seat boxes forward 5 inches. The seats are on sliders but I suspect the new seats have mount pushing seat further back so need to move boxes forward to get easily to steering wheel and to allow feet to get to foot bar and at same time allow back to sit hard against back of seat for lumbar support.

Secondly will improve the footbar to something better as being perched on this after a long day out and a long trip back I find myself getting cramps in toes from being a budgie on a branch :) - Some kind of foot plate will fix this - maybe those trendy foot shaped accelerator peddles will sort it.

CRAFTY24
06-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the update Trev.

I have purchased a Yalta since we last spoke and it has the same boxes so I might be doing something similar.

Good to hear that you are happy with the result. Always good when you have gone to a bit of effort and spent a bit of coin.

Cheers again

TREVELLY
03-01-2011, 09:42 PM
I did lower the seat box some and did move it forward - it did make a great improvement.

For the gas struts to work properly they need to be extended up not set in lowest position with no room for gas to compress.

I think the final improvement I will make to the boat to improve the ride will be a pair of 450mm QL trim tabs.

Skusto
05-01-2011, 05:25 PM
tabs first would have done the trick