PDA

View Full Version : Coalition's Marine Park policy - Press Release

Scott nthQld
27-07-2010, 01:45 PM
JOINT PRESS RELEASE
THE HON. TONY ABBOTT MHR, LEADER OF THE OPPOSITION
THE HON. JOHN COBB MHR, SHADOW MINISTER FOR AGRICULTURE, FOOD SECURITY, FISHERIES AND FORESTRY,
THE HON. GREG HUNT MHR, SHADOW MINISTER FOR CLIMATE ACTION, ENVIRONMENT AND HERITAGE,
SENATOR THE HON. RICHARD COLEBECK, SHADOW PARLIAMENTARY SECRETARY FOR AGRICULTURE, FISHERIES AND FORESTRY
REAL ACTION TO PROTECT OUR MARINE ENVIRONMENTS AND FISHING COMMUNITIES
A Coalition government will take immediate action to ensure that future Marine Protected Areas balance environmental preservation with economic growth and strong coastal communities.
The Coalition supports a balanced approach to marine conservation and will immediately put on hold the Marine Bioregional Planning process. We will then restructure this process, in consultation with the community and industry, within the first year of government.
When previously in government, the Coalition began the process of establishing Marine Protected Areas around Australia's coastline. Marine Protected Areas are intended to protect and maintain biologically and culturally significant marine areas.
Since its election, the Rudd-Gillard Government has not adopted a balanced approach to Marine Protected Areas, nor has it engaged in appropriate consultation with the community and the fishing industry.
This has led to unnecessary anxiety and uncertainty in the fishing industry. Many communities will face enormous economic losses unless there is proper and effective consultation on future Marine Protected Areas, particularly in relation to fishing practices in these Areas.
The Coalition will also require future decisions on Marine Protected Areas to consider peer reviewed scientific evidence of threats to marine biodiversity and for this evidence to be made available to all stakeholders, including affected communities and industries.
In establishing Marine Protected Areas, the Coalition will consult closely with those people and industries who use the marine environment, including the recreational and commercial fishing sectors, to determine Marine Protected Area management plans in accordance with relevant legislation and other regulatory frameworks.
The Coalition will take the action necessary to make decisions on Marine Protected Areas fair, considered and balance environmental and cultural preservation and also considers the needs of fishing industries and coastal communities.
27 July 2010

I just recieved the above in an email from Sen R. Colbeck's office. Also attached was a pdf file of the actual policy, I haven't read through it yet, but from the press release above, at face value it looks pretty good compared to what the Labor Govt is proffering. Stakeholder consultations, peer reviewed scientific proof, balancing conservation and economics....things that should have been included from day dot, and things that most of us have been asking for, not anecdotal, biased emotional based "science".

If any one wants a copy of the policy document (2mb pdf file) send me a pm, but you'll probably be able to find it on their webiste anyways

cormorant
27-07-2010, 03:19 PM
Live press conference on abc 24 now with announcement. Not sure if you can replay archives.

ABC 24 is the only place all the live announcements are . Hope they do transcripts???

smclaren
27-07-2010, 03:50 PM
Tony Abbott has my vote !

ShaneC
27-07-2010, 03:50 PM
Hooray for common sense!!!!! This MAY force a change of hearts from the 'other' side, I think this has just gained Mr Abbot a few more voters. They say a 3% swing will see the ranga out, and the fishing fraternity and their families may just be a significant part of that. If he lost any votes because of this, it would be very few I feel as they wouldnt have voted for him anyway......

mangomick
27-07-2010, 03:53 PM
GREAT.................But isnt this the same party that wasnt going to bring in a GST and also told us we would be better off under Work Choices.:-X

Steeler
27-07-2010, 03:57 PM
GREAT.................But isnt this the same party that wasnt going to bring in a GST and also told us we would be better off under Work Choices.:-X

Nah,Not never ever:P

smclaren
27-07-2010, 04:09 PM

Yep .. but it's not the party that promised Fuel Watch, Grocery Watch, Fixing up the Murray etc etc ....

:-?

ShaneC
27-07-2010, 04:21 PM
John Howard based his campaign on the GST, and it was voted in, so that argument is pretty baseless.... He didnt get voted in then introduce it like Anna. I know thats a state govt thing but they are the same party.

As a smart man once said "You cant polish a shit, but you can roll it in glitter that will eventually fall off".

Go Tony!!!!

Steeler
27-07-2010, 04:26 PM
John Howard based his campaign on the GST, and it was voted in, so that argument is pretty baseless.... He didnt get voted in then introduce it like Anna. I know thats a state govt thing but they are the same party.

As a smart man once said "You cant polish a shit, but you can roll it in glitter that will eventually fall off".

Go Tony!!!!

Think you have your John's confused.Hewson went into an election on it and lost it.John Howard was the one who said it was "never ever "going to be on the federal liberal party's agenda again.

Now what part of that cake does GST apply to.

Sorry Scott i can see its starting to get a little off your intended purpose.

ShaneC
27-07-2010, 04:52 PM
The party won the election with every plan to introduce the GST then Beasley tried to block it even though it was voted in.. it was a second term agenda by the Coalition that was widely known by voters to be introduced should they be successful.....

BUT... I am happy to let this rest and concentrate on the real issue here, the latest statement from the Coalition is nothing but positive for the people of Australia who enjoy to wet a line.

nigelr
27-07-2010, 05:01 PM
Hear hear Shane, Abbot wont get my vote, but the Nationals will.
Very good commentary by Warren Truss on the Nationals' homepage about this issue.
Same result in the end, ironically enough..................
Cheers.

mangomick
27-07-2010, 05:11 PM
.. it was a second term agenda by the Coalition that was widely known by voters to be introduced should they be successful.....

It was a what??? and widely known by who.........You've got to be joking

I think Steelers recolection is more factual.

Bottom line is forget all the rhetoric. It's election time and if you believe any of the spin from any of the candidates Labor or liberal you need your heads read. Oh all except for shane Cs train line thats got to be a definate goer. err someday

Blueroo
27-07-2010, 05:22 PM
The Nat/Libs have my vote. Here here for common sense.

I'm well and truly sick of Labor, both state and federal, making secret back door deals with the Greens and making politically based decisions in relation to the environment.

stue

ShaneC
27-07-2010, 05:31 PM
haha yeah.... the train line that I remember was to be built within two years when I started commuting from Strathpine to the Peninsula for high school in 1991....

I am happy to forget the rhetoric and look at reality. Labor is apparently the "working man's" party, realistically and historically, they look after the working man better when they are the opposition..... until they get in power.

I am going to leave this one here, as an ex AJ and a very staunch John Howard supporter I feel my views are biased and perhaps a little emoted.

My vote is sealed though, I am going for the party that does not have a green agenda to allow me to continue with the pastime that I love

mangomick
27-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Good for you Blueroo and you too Shane C. It's good to see so many young liberals from Redcliffe enjoying fishing.

Moffy
27-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Slightly off topic - but similar theme - I sent in a letter to local MP regarding the proposed Coral Sea Closure and seeking assurances it wasn't a done deal with greens for preferences. Response i got (last night) was:

"Thank you for your email and the attached letter for Minister Garrett regarding the proposed Coral Sea closure.

I have forwarded your letter to the Minister but because the Government is now in caretaker mode the Minister is not in a position to respond. After the election has been and a new Government and ministry are sworn in I expect the then relevant Minister to respond.

The Gillard Labor Government is committed to protecting our oceans so that their rich marine life is conserved and sustainably managed into the future. Part of this commitment involves marine bioregional planning in Commonwealth waters, including the Coral Sea and the East Marine Bioregion. Through this process, we aim to establish a representative system of marine reserves by 2012.Work to identify a network of marine protected areas in the Coral Sea and the East marine region is well advanced.

The Coral Sea is a near-pristine marine environment that is internationally recognised for its rich biodiversity and important heritage values. The reefs, atolls and islands of the region form an important link between the habitats of the South Pacific and the Great Barrier Reef. The area also has significant cultural heritage value and a number of historic shipwrecks are located there. The Coral Sea and other areas in the East Marine Bioregion will be assessed to identify locations for both highly protected areas and multiple use areas where sustainable fishing will continue.

There will be extensive stakeholder consultation on the socio-economic values and uses associated with the East Marine Region. The first phase of consultation is currently underway, and there will be more intensive consultation once specific reserve proposals have been identified, and before any permanent protection measures are put in place. "

Pretty clear where things lie when you look at the two different policy statements.........

Moffy

bondy99
27-07-2010, 06:06 PM
I heard this many times before, any political party will say anything just to get your vote and soon as they are, they wipe their hands and dont want a bar of it.::)::)

I've been around too long to get conned by BSA.;D

Platitudinus
27-07-2010, 06:26 PM
The election is coming down to the age old argument of not - "who will do the best job" BUT "who can screw up the economy some more and set the worst policies". Here we have a Gillard 'Foreign Policy' of intervention inside territorial waters - she will never go abroad and be accepted like Rudd was - at least he tried. Abbot doesn't excite me but Gillard is dead from the neck down - all mouth and no action (apart from the education/schools), but wait for it ............. we can go forward together!!! LOL what a joke - all together forward down the gurgler leaving another bad legacy from another poor govt. Now I know what Lemmings are.
Happy voting everyone but leave my fish alone.
Plato

PS: Isnt it funny that one year after George Bush was elected, no-one admitted that they voted for him!!! Obama is going slightly better, but Gillard & Abbot - no one will admit to it by the end of the year - you wait and see.

samson
27-07-2010, 06:59 PM
All i know is that if labour win's it more or less costs me my business that i've got $400000 invested in but if the libs win i've got a business and can continue to work and have some kind of future, the libs just from my family and freinds alone that didn't have any idea of their fishing policy will now be getting at least another 100 or my votes i just hope most other fisherman have their freinds and help push the message.

PinHead
27-07-2010, 07:27 PM
It was a what??? and widely known by who.........You've got to be joking

I think Steelers recolection is more factual.

Bottom line is forget all the rhetoric. It's election time and if you believe any of the spin from any of the candidates Labor or liberal you need your heads read. Oh all except for shane Cs train line thats got to be a definate goer. err someday

The Howard Libs went to the 1998 election with the GST as part of their platform..you must have been asleep for that election.

Bring back Work Choices..the Modern Awards are a farce and a joke.

gr hilly
27-07-2010, 07:44 PM
Alan Jones this morning talking to Gillard a must for all ears.
Hilly

ShaneC
27-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Thanks Pinhead, I was starting to think I dreamt it!!!

Work Choices had its place but if people were to read into Labor's workplace reform and policies they would find that the fine print is interesting as well.....

I just wanna go fishing

GO TONY!!!

Angryant
27-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Alan Jones this morning talking to Gillard a must for all ears.
Hilly

Mate, that is a cracker of an interview - just listened to it on the 2GB website.

PinHead
27-07-2010, 09:21 PM
when is the garbage about Gillard v Abbott going to end? This is not about the leaders..it is about the entire policies of each Party. Leaders can come and be thrown out overnight..just ask Kevvy about that one.
Have heard people saying Gillard is popular because she is a woman...how inane is that?
I don't give a damn if she is a possum..at the moment she is just the leader of the Parliamentary wing of the ALP..as Abbott is for the Liberals.

When will the media stop all this he v she crap.?

SnapHead101
27-07-2010, 09:36 PM
The absolute worst position would be a labour minority government holding power in conjunction with the greens. The greens would absolutely put an end to fishing and any other enjoyable hobby. You simply cannot vote Green or ALP unless you want to spend your weekends watching wildlife documentaries on widescreen TV ..... That ain't living!!

Scott nthQld
27-07-2010, 09:47 PM
when is the garbage about Gillard v Abbott going to end? This is not about the leaders..it is about the entire policies of each Party. Leaders can come and be thrown out overnight..just ask Kevvy about that one.
Have heard people saying Gillard is popular because she is a woman...how inane is that?
I don't give a damn if she is a possum..at the moment she is just the leader of the Parliamentary wing of the ALP..as Abbott is for the Liberals.

When will the media stop all this he v she crap.?

When the sheeple stop hoovering it up like Ben Cousins goes to town an a brick of coke.

90% of voters will give their vote to which ever leader they 'like' best, that is to whomever is representing the party in their electorate. I wouldn't put it past some to vote for a convicted murderer is they liked the leader of the party they represented. Gillard (and in consequence Labor) will have 2 things to count on this election, the women's libber vote, and greens preferences, hell my old girl still insists on voting labor just because Gillard is a she.....I'm considering locking her up on election day and just paying the $50 dollar fine just to stop one vote going to the most inept Govt I can ever recall.

Either way the libs/nats have my vote, lesser of 2 evils I think

John L
27-07-2010, 10:18 PM
There is still a good chance that the Greens will hold the balance of power in the senate even if Abbot wins. And deals will have to be done to get legislation through the senate. Don't get too excited about election promises.

PUT THE GREENS LAST. Vote Shooters and Fishers 1 in the senate.

Mike Delisser
27-07-2010, 10:40 PM
Abbott even said it is a certainty the Greens will hold the balance in the senate.

Angla
27-07-2010, 11:26 PM
I would prefer to see a swing to the lib/nats that can rule in it's own right without greens. Maybe a few independants to keep them honest. But I fear greens will give power to labour.

Work is scarce for me now and I predict it will be worse under further labour.

Heaven help us all
Chris

Lucky_Phill
28-07-2010, 06:57 AM
A COALITION government would "unlock" Australia's coastal waters by immediately suspending the marine protection area process, Tony Abbott says.

The Opposition Leader said the fishing and tourism industries were under threat from protection orders limiting fishing.
He said a Coalition government would open “serious consultation” with affected industries and communities before declaring any marine protection areas.
Mr Abbott conceded the Howard government had begun the process of establishing marine protected areas, but said Labor had not adopted a balanced approach.
The Opposition Leader said “the whole of Australia's coastal waters, right around our continent, from the three mile limit to the edge of the 200 mile economic zone” were potentially subject to marine protection area orders.
“They can range right up to a no-take zone, which obviously would be extremely damaging for our fishing and tourism industries which would rely on these waters being open and available.

“The Coalition in government will immediately suspend the marine protection area process which is threatening the livelihoods of many people in the fishing industry, many people in the tourism industry, and which is threatening to lock up our oceans.”
Mr Abbott made the announcement while campaigning in the central Queensland coastal city of Mackay, where he filleted a giant barramundi at the local fishworks.

`This is a very important issue right around Australia,” he said.
“It's not been much in the major metropolitan media,” Mr Abbott said.
“Certainly this is an issue which is deeply troubling regional Australia. And it's deeply troubling a whole lot of people who enjoy fishing.
“It's very important that we don't do anything as a government that unreasonably threatens the livelihood of the fishing industries and the tourism industries on which so much of Australia depends.”

Courtesy Courier Mail.

nigelr
28-07-2010, 07:09 AM
Good to at least see the Opposition parties have an awarenes of the issue, let's just not dwell on 'broken election promises'.........

mangomick
28-07-2010, 11:23 AM
The Howard Libs went to the 1998 election with the GST as part of their platform..you must have been asleep for that election.

Bring back Work Choices..the Modern Awards are a farce and a joke.

John Howard: "No, there's no way that a GST will ever be part of our policy."
Journalist: "Never ever?"
John Howard: "Never ever. It's dead. It was killed by the voters in the last election". - John Howard, interview, Tweed Heads Civic Centre, 2 May 1995

None so blind as those who dont wish to see :-?

Sevric
28-07-2010, 12:39 PM
I think we all should listen to Tony Abbott and get him to put it in writing as it may not be the gospel truth

Bouttime
28-07-2010, 02:18 PM
Are you game to take the risk labour will not go ahead with the Coral sea marine park?If and when this comes in what waterway is next on the hit list?If you sell boats,fishing gear,fuel,seafood or anything else to do with the fishing ,i would be scared shi:-X less because your livelyhood may go down the shitter.With the greens help we ALL may as well sell our boats now while they are worth something ,if they get there way the boat will sit in the shed and collect dust.
Time to stand up and be counted,vote Labour out while we have the chance,in 3 years it might be too late.

mangomick
28-07-2010, 03:57 PM
It was a Liberal government under Malcolm Frazer who declared a 36000sq km marine park in the Great barrier reef out from cairns and also in Oct 1979 the Capricornia section.
Now Labor wants to declare one out in the coral sea where very few of us are ever likely to fish and they are the worst ba$tards in the world.
Interesting to note it was also the liberals under Frazer who made the decision to have our local oil priced at world parity.
I dont think it will matter who gets in. Fact is the population is growing and at the end of the days we need to have both protected zones ,size limits and bag limits to maintain a sustainable fishing environment. Governments may change but the same Department heads will be peer reviewing the science behind the closures etc. and the government (liberal or labor)will have their justification to allow the Dept of Environment and fisheries to go along as they want.
They have had the green zones up here (north of Bundaberg) for a while and all you guys further south couldnt give a rats about it, now that further zones are muted for your area you are going to have a whinge. well,good luck to you.
Come the end of the day if you want sustainable fishing accept the green zones

let the bagging begin8-)

FNQCairns
28-07-2010, 04:38 PM
I heard this many times before, any political party will say anything just to get your vote and soon as they are, they wipe their hands and dont want a bar of it.::)::)

I've been around too long to get conned by BSA.;D

jaded?? yeah me too. Although I believe very little that come out of Abbotts mouth or more preciesely I believe that leopards do not change their spots to quickly become labourised almost as if suddenly the majority demographic of Australia matters more than the 15% they do fully represent.

Anyway this particular press release I do believe and for largely just one reason, up here the local news both channels are outwardly vivid green to the point of extremist/fundamental and actively ignore the anglers plight or anything balanced on environmental issues .

Yet i caught some very quick vision of the opposition leader in the back of a game boat at marina talking to a couple of our local good guys , these good guys have been fighting tooth and nail for anglers for many years already...spoke volumes to me. i am confident that this oposition leader actually does understand Anglers issues and if not does have advisers at hand who are not puppets for environmental alarmists and extremists....never ever thought i would see the day I would say that.

Hell they could be worth a vote just for this experiment:)

PinHead
28-07-2010, 04:53 PM
It was a Liberal government under Malcolm Frazer who declared a 36000sq km marine park in the Great barrier reef out from cairns and also in Oct 1979 the Capricornia section.
Now Labor wants to declare one out in the coral sea where very few of us are ever likely to fish and they are the worst ba$tards in the world.
Interesting to note it was also the liberals under Frazer who made the decision to have our local oil priced at world parity.
I dont think it will matter who gets in. Fact is the population is growing and at the end of the days we need to have both protected zones ,size limits and bag limits to maintain a sustainable fishing environment. Governments may change but the same Department heads will be peer reviewing the science behind the closures etc. and the government (liberal or labor)will have their justification to allow the Dept of Environment and fisheries to go along as they want.
They have had the green zones up here (north of Bundaberg) for a while and all you guys further south couldnt give a rats about it, now that further zones are muted for your area you are going to have a whinge. well,good luck to you.
Come the end of the day if you want sustainable fishing accept the green zones

let the bagging begin8-)

so ya reckon no one fishes 2 miles off Fraser Is and Double Island Point ???

why declare ANY no take areas without accurate scientific research carried out ??

TimiBoy
28-07-2010, 05:54 PM
John Howard: "No, there's no way that a GST will ever be part of our policy."
Journalist: "Never ever?"
John Howard: "Never ever. It's dead. It was killed by the voters in the last election". - John Howard, interview, Tweed Heads Civic Centre, 2 May 1995

None so blind as those who dont wish to see :-?

Yep, and Bob Hawke said no child would live in poverty either. Stop focussing on all the shit from the past. There's a heap of it from both sides and just as easy to argue this bollocks from both sides of the fence.

Try focussing on current issues, eh?

Tim

mangomick
28-07-2010, 06:48 PM
so ya reckon no one fishes 2 miles off Fraser Is and Double Island Point ???

??

I was referring to the proposed coral sea marine park that Garrett is reviewing and it starts a lot further out than 2 miles. What you are referring to is the extension of the GBRMP.Which was started by liberals
You dont need to be Einstein to work out that population increases and over fishing put pressure on fish stocks just ask any old codger around about the fishing 30 years ago.
fact is if we dont lock up a few areas and take the pressure off fish stocks the fishing will be stuffed in another 30 years. bag and size limits arent going to do it
All I can see despite all the rhetoric is a liberal government restricting the week-end fisherman further and giving more freedom to the pros which isnt going to help sustain fish stocks.
just jump on a trawler and see how much damage they do to juvenile fish stocks.Take a look at the gulls feeding behind them as they toss all the dead juvenile fish overboard
All you blokes whinging about labor and marine parks have a look at who started the first one on the GBR and who started the first one in WA and while your at it see who started the first one in S.A

nigelr
28-07-2010, 07:04 PM
You dont need to be Einstein to work out that population increases and over fishing put pressure on fish stocks just ask any old codger around about the fishing 30 years ago.
Not many would/could argue with this, although it is a generalisation........and as such very difficult to qualify.........
fact is if we dont lock up a few areas and take the pressure off fish stocks the fishing will be stuffed in another 30 years. bag and size limits arent going to do it
Agreed but let's use genuine, as opposed to contrived, science to determine what and where, rather than green lock-out mentality
All I can see despite all the rhetoric is a liberal government restricting the week-end fisherman further and giving more freedom to the pros which isnt going to help sustain fish stocks.
Unfortunately you may well be on to something here; I don't mind admitting this scenario has me very, very concerned, if the way the travelling beach-haulers operate here in NSW each autumn/winter is anything to go by
just jump on a trawler and see how much damage they do to juvenile fish stocks.Take a look at the gulls feeding behind them as they toss all the dead juvenile fish overboard
Very true but by-catch exclusion devices are mandatory, are they not? Surely this area has and is continuing to improve
All you blokes whinging about labor and marine parks have a look at who started the first one on the GBR and who started the first one in WA and while your at it see who started the first one in S.A

All IMHO, of course..........

PinHead
28-07-2010, 07:11 PM
and ask any young bloke and he will tell ya that the fishing was marvellous 30 years ago..crap.

30 years ago the bream numbers were similar to now..simple to catch a feed.
You could not catch anything at Mud Island..they were dredging the hell out of it for the lime for the cement works.

Now let me see....fish stokcs..we need green zones you say so that the stock will be sustainable. BUT..if the water quality is crap then it does not matter where you make green zones..fish won;t be there. So how about looking at the results for the water quality of the river...all going backwards...and that is with an ALP State Govt..wow..they really care don't they.

That is not to say any other Govt will improve it but very little is being done by the present mob.

Next issue: Garrett has only been in the job almost 3 years..it is impossible to carry out detailed research in that time to ascertain the fish stocks in the Coral Sea. Garrett is also responsible for the proposed Rainbow Beach/ Fraser Island closures. This is the same bloke that brought in the insulation debacle...he sure knows his job.

but ask Mick..everything is previous LIbs Govt fault and the ALP is all rosy.

Reality is..neither major Party has yet said anything to convince me they are capable of governing this country.

mangomick
28-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Reality is..neither major Party has yet said anything to convince me they are capable of governing this country.

On that we agree ;)
As far as being a labor supporter. You've got me wrong there

Liberal /Labor they're both the same as far as I can see. actually if Peter Costello or Malcolm Turnbull were leading the libs I would probably swing towards them. I'm just not a Tony Abbott fan. Then again I dont think Rudd was doing such a good job either

All political parties are tarred with the same brush though. Abbott sees a few votes amongst the fishing fraternity and has now filletted a barra to prove how fair dinkum he his . labor doesnt need to because they did a sweet heart deal with the greens. if they hadnt, it would have been the other way round. If anyone really believes that the Libs are all for the recreational fisherman well good for them.

We have had the green zones up here for a while now and I was dead against them at the start but in reality we have to do something like that to make sure fishing stays sustainable. A large percentage of Gladstone-ites have boats and the population is set to more than treble in the next 10 years. no doubt mackay townsville are going to do the same and in all probability most of the major coastal population centres along the coast. if no go zones arent made then the fishing is really going to be stuffed.
I can remember what the fishing was like 30 years ago and I can remember the father in law telling me what it was like 30 years before that.
Ask the guys who have been going up to Kurumba how the fishing was before the roads were improved and not as many people went there. The place was teeming with fish and greedy ba$tards used to take up huge freezers and fill them with fillets. Now the place is half stuffed and to rebuild the stocks bag limits are needed. What they also need to do is limit the amount of pros who net the place.
its the same with the winter salmon run here in Gladstone. they hardly get a chance to get here because of all the nets strung down the narrows.
Show me the party that restricts/bans netting and they can have my vote even if it means having to put up with 30% green zones
Cheers