PDA

View Full Version : enamel or polyu for painting ally boat.

oldboot
26-07-2010, 09:54 PM
I'm finaly getting to painting the inside and the topsides on my ally boat.

I've strated doing the etchprime/ undercoat.

in the past, I have used QD enamel for this sort of thing, but I note that many of the serious yachties and big boat boys use marine poly u.

can anybod tell me the advantages.....more flexible perhaps??

I'm not interested in playing with two pack..

cheers

myusernam
27-07-2010, 07:24 AM
I'm finaly getting to painting the inside and the topsides on my ally boat.

I've strated doing the etchprime/ undercoat.

in the past, I have used QD enamel for this sort of thing, but I note that many of the serious yachties and big boat boys use marine poly u.

can anybod tell me the advantages.....more flexible perhaps??

I'm not interested in playing with two pack..

cheers

poly u is 2 pack

Horse
27-07-2010, 08:13 AM
You could look at the water based polyurethenes from Boat Craft Pacific. These just need a few drops of cross linker and away you go. You end up with a nice hard finish and easy to handle. Just beware of using the dark colours that are based on the clear base. We had a huge amount of trouble with the pigment mixing properly and had to sand the boat back fully three times. We ended up with a storm blue thats based on the white premix and it came out fine

oldboot
28-07-2010, 10:32 PM
poly u is 2 pack

sorry that is not correct.

Polueurathane made for any purpose is available as a single pack and a two pack from just about every supplier that makes it.

International, certiany make both for use on boats, wattyl and mirrortone bohe make poly u products as both single and two pack.

I have no roblem handling the QD...except having to be a bit light handed to avoid runs....it certainly is more pleasant than spraying houshold or industrial enamel......though it is still a little jammy

I'l have a chat to boatcraft.

cheers

Member101
28-07-2010, 10:39 PM
Personally, I would call my local Wattyl Trade Centre and speak with them.

Steve

myusernam
29-07-2010, 07:19 AM
sorry that is not correct.

Polueurathane made for any purpose is available as a single pack and a two pack from just about every supplier that makes it.

International, certiany make both for use on boats, wattyl and mirrortone bohe make poly u products as both single and two pack.

I have no roblem handling the QD...except having to be a bit light handed to avoid runs....it certainly is more pleasant than spraying houshold or industrial enamel......though it is still a little jammy

I'l have a chat to boatcraft.

cheers

happy to be wrong but when he said poly u (not polyurethane) I assumed he was asking about poly u 400, which is argueably the best paint for the task and is also a two pack ;)

Seahorse
29-07-2010, 07:56 AM
if it was me,spray ur 2 pac. if going white put bit of ochre and black just to take the white look out.
QD is quick dry enamel and no way would i put that in my boat.
poly u 400 is the old wattyl. its now duranamel.
All paint companies have a 4:1 2pac same as wattyl poly u.
If u have etched primed it, why not pay few extra bucks and get a pro to spray it in 2 pac, if u dont want to spray it.
I consider there is no other alternative.

oldboot
29-07-2010, 09:18 AM
Um getting a pro to spray is not a few extra bucks, that will be many times the cost of the materials.

If it was an expensive boat or was in the water all the time there is no way I would do any less than two pack.

I'm still thinkin.

cheers

Seahorse
29-07-2010, 12:34 PM
if ur worried about the 2 pac, paint acrylic