PDA

View Full Version : Weather satellite

Toddy_again
26-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Does anybody know whether a weather satellite is being considered for Australia the same as what they have in the US?

Cheers

Toddy

SatNav
27-07-2010, 06:41 PM
1. There are weather satellites covering Australia, more details?

Toddy_again
28-07-2010, 10:05 AM
Sorry I should have been more specific.
Like whats available to Humminbird users in the US.
Look here....http://store.humminbird.com/products/323112/AS_WX1

Cheers

SatNav
28-07-2010, 08:10 PM
1. At this point I doubt it but this would not be due to lack of satellites or data but the third party providing the data feed with enough subscribers to make the business viable. Doubt Australia has the numbers to make it viable?

tunaticer
28-07-2010, 08:37 PM
I would suspect that the commercial shipping have access to some form of electronic weather systems around Aus, may not be through the GPS or sounder systems available, but pretty sure it would be available and fairly accurate.

Toddy_again
29-07-2010, 10:15 AM
Yeah demand is probably what dictates that sort of thing over here.
The commercial shipping mobs would have to have access to something like that and given that we are surrounded by the blue stuff I thought that it might have been something that has been discussed.

Thanks

Toddy

SatNav
30-07-2010, 07:25 AM
1. One problem with this type of system is the propriety nature of the subscription data, communication channel and specific hardware. Similar weather services are available in Australia, still require a subscription but available through more common communication channels such as standard web services

2. On the subject of weather some might be interested that BOM is changing computer forcasting models on July 30 hence output, products and services could be different in future and old book marks may no longer work