PDA

View Full Version : YAHOO got one at last

Noelm
26-07-2010, 08:14 AM
Some here might be aware that I have been after an old 18' Sharkcat centre console for a very long time, well yesterday, I picked one up, and only about 10minutes from my place. After countless dead ends and near isses, I have found a quite ratty, but very original one, so when I sell the old Cat, I will start to do all the necessary repairs/clean up that it so badly needs. Floor is stuffed, transom is fine, console has a million holes and old broken gauges, old V4 Evinrudes have not been started for over 10 years (they will go to the wreckers I think) upholstery is almost non existant, the trailer is good, so the fun will begin very soon, might ask a few questions here about fibreglass types and so on, or I may just spend the dollars and get a "man" to do the floor, don't know yet. Pretty simple boat really, plain old white hull and a sickly sort of beige deck, still has the original (but sort of funny looking) stainless rails and an anchor winch and some other odds and ends that I may keep or dispose of.

megafish71
26-07-2010, 08:24 AM
Well done Noel, looking forward to seeing some pics of her, and pics of the rebuild. Funny how somethings we are looking for turn up so close to home.

Ron

finding_time
26-07-2010, 08:37 AM
Yeh well done Noel! As soon as i saw the title of the thread i knew what you had purchased, persistance payed off!

Ian

Ps. i guess your putting a pair of 90 e-tecs on it!!:P Actually i'll be very interested to see which way you go with the motors!!;)

Noelm
26-07-2010, 08:54 AM
took a couple of quick pictures with a phone,, see if they open

Jarrah Jack
26-07-2010, 09:08 AM
After all that just ten minutes from home and at a good price no doubt. Being a long time forum man the previous owner would have been made aware of the problems;)
Good trailer and transom you're half way there already.

The irony of it all....Well done.

Noelm
26-07-2010, 09:17 AM
power options are quite a way off yet, but I guess I will be looking for something 90 to 100HP, don't care about brands or operating principal, time frame I am thinking will be middle of summer for motors, unless something really good and cheap pops up soon, I will just keep my eyes open for somethimng near new in that HP range if nothing comes up I will explore the new option, plenty of time, and that is a good thing when you are a buyer I reckon.

nigelr
26-07-2010, 09:40 AM
Congratulations Noelm, must be very satisfying to find your ideal boat so close to home!
Am looking forward to seeing what you do with her!
Cheers.

Flex
26-07-2010, 09:59 AM
One ya Noelm, that will be a great looking boat when its done.

If ya ever wanna sell her in the future, gimme a call:)

How much do you rekon it would cost to redo a square transom and whack pods on it? The only thing I dislike about original SC is the strange transom

finga
26-07-2010, 10:00 AM
Goodo then eh :D.

It's it always the same. Look all over Australia and there's one 3 blocks away.
Personally I like to see prospective projects all dirty and ikky.
You know absolutely no bloody body has done any dodgy repairs to it :)

Noelm
26-07-2010, 10:06 AM
yep, that was my thoughts when I started looking for an old one, but original, I saw a couple of modified ones that the seller had no idea who did the work (well that's what they tell you) and I was after one with buggered motors with a view to repower and rebuild back to almost as new, now I find myself asking a thousand questions, carpet or flowcoat and "speckled" storage under floor, 4 strokes, 2 strokes, new or near new, springs or something else, skids or rollers, all sorts of stuff that are fine when you have only one to decide on, but when there is everything to be done, gees how hard is it all? I guess first things first, current plan is, sell old boat, clean this one, do floor and decide on other stuff as I go along.

Noelm
26-07-2010, 10:09 AM
One ya Noelm, that will be a great looking boat when its done.

If ya ever wanna sell her in the future, gimme a call:)

How much do you rekon it would cost to redo a square transom and whack pods on it? The only thing I dislike about original SC is the strange transom
funny you should say that, I was just thinking about this today, after having a cat with this setup, and one with pods, I need to decide which of the features and drawbacks will be best suited for me, at the moment I am slightly in favour of leave as is, but there is so many advantages of pods isn't there?

Steeler
26-07-2010, 10:24 AM
power options are quite a way off yet, but I guess I will be looking for something 90 to 100HP, don't care about brands or operating principal, time frame I am thinking will be middle of summer for motors, unless something really good and cheap pops up soon, I will just keep my eyes open for somethimng near new in that HP range if nothing comes up I will explore the new option, plenty of time, and that is a good thing when you are a buyer I reckon.

C'mon Noelm you know a couple of black beauty's hanging off the back will be just the ticket mate,you'll never look back;).

Real pleased for you buddy.

Steeler

STUIE63
26-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Congrats Noel someone said it eartlier but I too knew exactly what you had got by the title .I love all the room in a c/c
Stuie

Vitamin Sea
26-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Good one Noel, has taken a while to come around. How about it being so close to home?????????????

Hope you enjoy

Cheers

Bill

Noelm
26-07-2010, 12:52 PM
do you reckon you could find a messier dash than this?

Noelm
26-07-2010, 01:15 PM
There is enough leaves and stuff in the boat to setup a berly trail for Koalas! not to mention a pile of weeds growing out of one scupper, OH well, I guess you have to expect that sort of thing when something is left laying unprotected for years hey.

deckie
26-07-2010, 04:51 PM
Congrats Noelm..she's a beaut. Just a few scratches to take out and a polish, buy a steering wheel and off ya go ;D Arsey luck she wasnt far away after a wait...must mean she's a lucky hull.
I bet those gearboxes are one mass of fused metal but u never know till u look.
Stainless looks in good nick..compass might still work too ;).
Sounds and looks damn near the perfect state to keep the price low and get what u want.
Jealous...makes me want to start another one now.
Great stuff.

Jarrah Jack
26-07-2010, 04:53 PM
I was going to mention a little while back how I've read about the yanks finding the legendary 233 hulls in peoples backyards using google earth. That would take a bit of time and they have probably got better coverage than us as well.

Chimo
26-07-2010, 07:52 PM
At least they were smart enough to put the tachos (if thats what they are) side by side so you can see em
C
C

Giffo65
28-08-2010, 04:56 PM
Great looking project,I have the same thing in mind, to deal with the washing machine style water/chop out from Bundy.I will be watching for progress updates.

Cheers
Giffo

John Buoy
28-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Bloody beauty Noel just what ya were after!!
Now the fun begins look forward to future installments
from ya ;D

neil_stessco
28-08-2010, 07:22 PM
Great find love the old shark cats keep us updated with the pics.

neil_stessco
10-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Any updates on the Shark cat Noelm?

neil_stessco
05-10-2010, 09:30 AM
Bump this back to the top, how's the rebuild going?

Lovey80
22-01-2011, 02:58 AM
Bump! Come on Noel matey where are we at.