PDA

View Full Version : Digital Selecive Calling |DSC |start'n in Moreton Bay..need your help!!!

QF3 MROCP
25-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Coast Guard Redcliffe are setting up a DSC monitoring watch and have obtained the MMSI numbers (soon to be released)

HOWEVER they have come across a minor problem...

The station base radio has to be capable to handle a Coast Station MMSI number and therefore the current radios used by the VOLUNTEERS is not workable.

For $700 they can purchase an ICOM M505 model that will do the task.. Current Raymarine models are not available..

http://www.icom-australia.com/products/marine/ic-m505/ic-m505.jpg

http://www.icom-australia.com/products/marine/marine_ic-m505.html

SO...

Does anyone have contacts with a supplier / manufacturer or are able to supply a unit (not fussed with brand), especially if it is a sponsored one!!

They're ready to go, however finding $600k for a new replacement boat and $700 for a free DSC service to mariners is a bit of a challenge..

What is DSC.. have a quick look at this..

ga6WdGkaeNM

QF3 MROCP
25-07-2010, 10:17 PM
forgot to mention that they would be happier to upgrade even more to a IC M604,
http://www.icom-australia.com/products/marine/marine_ic-m604_image.html

allows the night radio operator to be remote within the building, even while making a coffee and having a man break..

sleepygreg
25-07-2010, 11:51 PM
Peter,

How much is the IC M604?

Am working on a strategy to get it for you...just need to know how much.

Cheers
Greg

Kero
26-07-2010, 07:15 AM
G'day Peter,
I'm Mobile 197 and I have a supplier for my business that can get either Icom or Standard Horizon VHF radios. I use a Standard Horizon and can't fault it. I'll check with the suppliers to see what prices I can get for both, if you like.

QF3 MROCP
26-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Greg / Kero

Thanks for heaps of help..

Icom were sent a copy of this thread last night and have this morning sent me their recommendation towards a IC-GM651 model - a bit higher in price, however perfect for us to monitor any DSC RX we were to receive in our region.

Icom's Suggested Retail Price for the unit is $1936.00 plus a hand held mic / speaker for $140.36. Icom will rebate us 10% on what ever the final purchase price is from the retailer. Apparently as a Rescue Group we are entitled to some $ help.. We also need to get a stand alone Channel 70 aerial. The unit has two aerial inputs -one for all verbal VHF Channels and the other for 70.

Please be assured any retailer or sponsor will get the appropriate acknowledgement / advertising within our flotilla. If we were to get the unit donated, we could ensure the rebate is paid back to the sponsor / retailer..

We're also wanting to install an AIS system - but that's another story...

Thanks again for your help..

QF3 and Moreton Bay DSC mariners

TheRealAndy
26-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Greg, happy to contribute to this, PM me if your handing around the tin.

I should be handing this cash to my own VMR unit!

PS. Pete, you lads better turn up for our open day on 12th September! We are launching our new Kevlacat (says the commodore of the yacht club who will be absent on a fishing trip in 1770).

QF3 MROCP
26-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Greg, happy to contribute to this, PM me if your handing around the tin.

I should be handing this cash to my own VMR unit!

PS. Pete, you lads better turn up for our open day on 12th September! We are launching our new Kevlacat (says the commodore of the yacht club who will be absent on a fishing trip in 1770).

I would love to come, but thats the date of the next course in Sept, however I'll pass the word around.. Now is that the Kevlacat going to the north of us or the one going to the creek?.;D

TheRealAndy
26-07-2010, 09:03 PM
I would love to come, but thats the date of the next course in Sept, however I'll pass the word around.. Now is that the Kevlacat going to the north of us or the one going to the creek?.;D

Bribie is in front of us in the production line, so they should have theirs launched before the 12th! (if thats what you mean!)

QF3 MROCP
26-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Yep... nice vessel. Kevla are trying to sell one to us as well, so I got to see it in a photo recently.. CG Yeppoon have one and rave about it.. I understand Bribie got theirs back on the 8th July from Kevla

TheRealAndy
26-07-2010, 09:26 PM
Yep... nice vessel. Kevla are trying to sell one to us as well, so I got to see it in a photo recently.. CG Yeppoon have one and rave about it.. I understand Bribie got theirs back on the 8th July from Kevla

I got in too late with Sandgates new boat, but I would suggest a call to marlin mike and take a look at their vessel, i reckon they are better.

Our managament meeting is this thursday, so I will know more about bribies new boat as well as ours.

oldboot
26-07-2010, 10:13 PM
Just as amatter of interest

How are the DSC compatability issues progressing.

cheers

sleepygreg
26-07-2010, 10:14 PM
Pete, whats the rrp on the aerial. If Im going to try to organise something it may as well be for the full package.

Andy, Thanks for the offer, will keep you updated on what is happening.

Cheers
Greg

Captain Seaweed
27-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Peter, I just picked up my ICOM 515 from OLBIS for under $700. I think its worth putting it to the owner there and maybe offering a little advertising! Worth a try I recon he seems very reasonable and after all its a radio for VMR.
Marty

QF3 MROCP
27-07-2010, 09:13 PM
Peter, I just picked up my ICOM 515 from OLBIS for under $700. I think its worth putting it to the owner there and maybe offering a little advertising! Worth a try I recon he seems very reasonable and after all its a radio for VMR.
Marty

Thanks Marty... I'll put them on my list.. you don't happen to have a contact name?

QF3 MROCP
27-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Pete, whats the rrp on the aerial. If Im going to try to organise something it may as well be for the full package.

Andy, Thanks for the offer, will keep you updated on what is happening.

Cheers
Greg

Greg.. I've been waiting for some info fom the base, however to keep your endeavour moving forward, I would allocate $250, as we will need a bit of cable to go up the phone tower..

Thanks a lot your help..:thumbup:

xr40
27-07-2010, 09:54 PM
I have Standard Horizon also, CPV 350 very happy with its capabilities

sleepygreg
01-08-2010, 10:53 PM
Pete, we tried to raise all the funds for it at the protest rally at Clontarf this morning but came up short. Still got some $ for you, but will keep trying to get the rest. Will let you know what the tally was onc ethe treasurer balances the books. Still got a couple of guys working on industry contacts.

Greg

black runner
02-08-2010, 07:58 PM
Just as amatter of interest

How are the DSC compatability issues progressing.

cheers

My thoughts too, and for those interested the following article highlights some of the issues encountered during testing.

http://www.afloat.com.au/afloat-magazine/2009/october-2009/VHF_DSC_compatibility

Cheers

QF3 MROCP
02-08-2010, 10:58 PM
My thoughts too, and for those interested the following article highlights some of the issues encountered during testing.

http://www.afloat.com.au/afloat-magazine/2009/october-2009/VHF_DSC_compatibility

Cheers

Thanks for the article...

One part of the story does confirm the direction we are going in and that is to have a Class A DSC unit (Icoms recommendation as this level of unit allows us to upload a Coast Station MMSI number - they start with 00).

extract:
"However, unless the VMRs have DSC equipment meeting Class A specifications (full GMDSS compliance for big ships), they (and ship stations other than Class A) are not able to acknowledge your DSC distress call."

Hornet Rider
02-08-2010, 11:04 PM
Pete,

Mobile 164 here, my crew have cracked their piggy banks - have you got an acc name, bsb & acc number so we can tx a donation please? PM if you need to.

cheers, HR

QF3 MROCP
13-08-2010, 12:07 PM
We're off and running with the first cash donation being banked.

If anyone wants to make a donation to the flottilla, we have a special bank account to collect the money from. Feel free to quote "QF3 DSC" in the Bnk2Bnk transfer description field.

Bendigo Bank - Margate Branch
BSB 633108
A/c # 136707247

If you want a donation receipt, just send me a PM with your email address and I'll scan & send...

This is what we are targeting..
http://www.icom-australia.com/products/marine/marine_ic-gm651.html

QF3 MROCP
30-12-2010, 04:36 PM
NOW Operational... check out this thread;

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?p=1236878#post1236878