PDA

View Full Version : VHF Radio yes or no

mattij2005
25-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Hi all, i'm looking at getting my VHF marine radio license... I mostly fish enclosed waters like port phillip bay, barwon river and the like, very limited offshore fishing, just wondering if the benift is worth the extra cost of raio and setup.

oldboot
25-07-2010, 08:06 PM
Hell yeh.

VHF is so much better than 27mhz marine.....5 times the power and far better clarity.

cheers

Captain Seaweed
25-07-2010, 08:07 PM
I believe its better to be over prepared....I would get one as 27Meg is rarely monitored and you get great range from a vhf. You can always scan and listen to other boats and commercial vessels when out. If you head out with another boat you can communicate better also. I would say yes. If its too expensive new pick up a hand held or second hand.

Marty

mattij2005
25-07-2010, 08:10 PM
thanks guys that was pretty much my thoughts just thought i'd run it past a few others to see there opinion, i didn't realise that 27meg isn't monitored though.

QF3 MROCP
25-07-2010, 08:24 PM
thanks guys that was pretty much my thoughts just thought i'd run it past a few others to see there opinion, i didn't realise that 27meg isn't monitored though.

mattij2005

27Meg is still monitored by many VMR / Coast Guard stations. The base I volunteer at has around 12% of it's calls still on 27Meg. VHF however has a wider network around Australia, including compolsory listening watch by commercial vessels.
VHF also has a number of repeater stations. If you want more info have a look at:

www.vhfradiocourse.com (http://www.vhfradiocourse.com)

or the radio network around Australia:

http://www.vhfradiocourse.com/VHF_Radio_Network.html

encourage you to do the course and make sure it has a practical component in it..

You'll get a lot out of it..

mattij2005
25-07-2010, 08:56 PM
oh dont worry qf3 i'll be doing the course, i'm looking at an onlne one at the minute, to be honest i'm not to fussed about the practical side of the course, i'm used to working with radios and the correct operating procedures through the emergency services anyway. More concerned about gettin the ticket and knowing the operating channels to be honest....hope this doesn't sound arrogant, but the basics of mayday and pan calls are pretty easy as is the correct operating and communication language...ie over, out etc. just want to make sure that i can contact a vmror other vessel not if when it is needed.

oldboot
25-07-2010, 09:01 PM
The bottom line is that if the crap hits the fan....there are a lot more people out there with VHF that can come to your aid.

VMR may be 1/2 an hour or so away.... but there may be someone much closer who is willing to attend your mayday.

cheers

mattij2005
25-07-2010, 09:04 PM
yep, fair call oldboot....much rather know that someone is out there listening and receiving than just hoping.

oldboot
25-07-2010, 10:11 PM
I'm a technician with over25 years of experience, and lived with two way of some sort much of my working life.

I went and did a course run by my local VMR.....I am very glad I did...its not so much a matter of knowing your stuff..( i recon I do)...... but knowing the answers they want to hear.

The radio course will guide you in the right direction......some is information..... but there is a little attitude adjustment required to pass the exam.

Some of the questions are......lets say one or two I did not agree with... but I wrote the answer they wanted anyway.

I got 2 wrong on the full ticket test.

so......if you think you know your stuff.........this is my recomendation.....get the book beforehand and read it all a couple of times.....pay attention to the numbers......particularly the distress and calling frequencies and the run times of eperbs and such.

then..go an do the course....take a note book....and when the instructor mentions a frequency that he says is important.....write it down, several times.

AND don't be a wus.....do the full ticket.....if I had been paying better attention I should have got 100%.

Oh... learn your alphabet.

cheers

mattij2005
25-07-2010, 10:31 PM
Not sure that i need the full ticket oldboot, don't think that i'll ever be offshore that far (tattslotto pending of course) that i'll need hf. Definately got the phonetic alphabet down pat.

wayno60
26-07-2010, 12:27 AM
ive just one more week before i hopfully get mine. done 4 weeks of learning and next thur is the test....im doing my course at VMR southport.

oldboot
26-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Not sure that i need the full ticket oldboot, don't think that i'll ever be offshore that far (tattslotto pending of course) that i'll need hf. Definately got the phonetic alphabet down pat.

Yeh...I have heard it said that doing the full ticket test is a safer option.......because you can get more questions wrong, because there are more questions.........pass persentage is the same.

there are just a few more frequencies to remember.

Remember too, that if you are thinking about volenteering at a vmr or coastguard......they monitor HF and you may need a full ticket to work in the radio room.

AHH... its not that hard for someone with a bit of background......then you can stand up......stick your chest out and say "I have a full ticket"..and you can stick it on your resumae.;D

cheers

QF3 MROCP
26-07-2010, 04:18 PM
ive just one more week before i hopfully get mine. done 4 weeks of learning and next thur is the test....im doing my course at VMR southport.

Just for a benchmark for you.. I had an 11 yr old sit for the exam after doing the course with his grand dad.. he got 80% pass mark.. all he has to do now is wait for his 16th birthday to get the certificate..

One very proud grand dad and trainer...