PDA

View Full Version : Aluminium or GRP

Batesy01
25-07-2010, 07:39 PM
I am looking at buying a second hand boat, budget to approx 20k.
Ideally I would go for fishing boat (centre console or run about) as this will be the primary use, but the missus wants something that will go OK with the family.

So looks like a cuddy, which will limit my fishing space with a trade off for a little shelter. I will mostly use it in Pittwater and the Hawkesbury, but get up to Yamba each year, so needs to tow behind a Sub Liberty. I would like to be able to get outside in reasonable weather.

Struggling with decision between Haines Sig 492F and Some type of Quinny cuddy, e.g. Coast Raider, Bay Raider, Sea Wasp.

What are thoughts about the Haines w.r.t
- stability at rest (it has a pretty steep V),
- handling outside trips (doesn't seem to have much freeboard),
- tow weight
- and most importantly fishing space in the cockpit.

As for the Aluminium cuddy's, what advantage would these have over the sig? ob a little newer, lighter and tougher. But are they any better to fish out of? What is a good model in my price range, up to say 5.1m?

Deelirious
25-07-2010, 08:05 PM
having just taken the leap to glass myself they take the same amount of cleaning up and if you have some undercover storage go for the glass every time - had ally all my life before this

oldboot
25-07-2010, 08:41 PM
The bottom line is that for a boat of a given size, glass will always be heavier, require a bigger motor to push it and a bigger car to tow it... but it will ride nicer and look prettier.

cheers