PDA

View Full Version : Ideal Donk for Trolling in Open Water?

Splash
25-07-2010, 07:23 PM
Hi.

My 1989 600kg Deep Vee 5.45m Haines hull wants another donk for mainly trolling in open water and some anchor work.

I am looking at either the etec 2009/10 model (2T) but interested to hear other thoughts on other options - mainly in the 4T field for my application.

I am chasing a donk with very good fuel efficiency, reliability and good power to weight ratio.

I am not sure what HP I should be using either to suit this application.

Thoughts??

Splash

Splash
26-07-2010, 08:13 AM
THoughts?

Splash

brisbane_boy
26-07-2010, 12:04 PM
the 140 suzi is a proven raiser

cormorant
26-07-2010, 12:21 PM
edit

I've just read your post again. Are you aftera main motor or a auxillary?

I think I missunderstood with my answer below.

What main motor do you currently have an dwere you happy with performance or want more?

Previous post

Little 9.9 or bigger 15 hp 4 stroke depending on wind and wave conditions will act as a good kicker . Must buy a long sail shaft model to keep teh powerhead out of teh water and also fit it with a displacement speed prop on a solid bracket. A cheapo bracket is a pain from day one and with trailering and boat movement on teh plane won't last long. You also need to consider how you will steer it be it via the tiller handle or by a steering arm link to your existing main motor. A 9-15hp pull start will keep you head to wind and might even make way and get you home if you have a engine failure so it will need to be totally independent i fuel supply . You can link the alternator output via a switch so you can still power radio in a emergency and bilge pumps. The 4st depending on brand can be very heavy for their hp so check the different brands and also very large in the cowls as they are on teh verge of not being "portables".

The reason I suggested a 4 stoke is they they don't oil up like a 2 stroke can if you just run em at low revs but a 2 stroke is fine as long as you prop it right and take extra care to use right quality oils and run em hard as well as just low speed. A smaller 2 stroke run at mid range revs will last forever without issues if propped right but the noise at those revs will fatigue your ears .

Fume from smaller motors can be irrating as well as when you aren't moving fast it collects behind the boat.

You can get away with a smaller motor depending on what you really want. In the harbour i have pushed around a 22 footer with a 4hp - not really useful bt it did do it.

I always like 2 motors on boats so I can rescue myself or aid in it and not rely on anyone ever should I ever require it but it comes in at a cost.

I am pretty sure there was a talk about kicker and auxillary motors on here a few months back if you do a search.

Unless needing the safety back up of a kicker it is often simpler just to run the hours up on the main motor and throw a bucket out or trim it right up to keep a low troll speed as newer motors are pretty fuel effecient. A couple of brands have the ability to lower the idle speed to give you a slower troll speed as well