PDA

View Full Version : Fraser Island Beach launch/ Cat owners

Plumb-Ezy74
24-07-2010, 11:39 PM
Hi all i am interested to know if anyone has had any trouble launching/retrieving and or more importantly exiting the gutter and returning in to the gutter at waddy point with a glass cat or an ally cat? I have been to two Toyota comps and know that people do use cats up there, but I am usually busy sorting out my own rig to watch others. I am currently considering the idea of going to a cat but don't want to restrict my fishing opportunity's.
Cheers Scott.

Apollo
25-07-2010, 07:21 AM
Scott

Lucky Phil dropped in yesterday after a week up there and said the gutter is pretty well non existent and he had to winch his plate mono as it wasn't deep enough.

Steve

Plumb-Ezy74
25-07-2010, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the Reply Steve the gutter there sure does change week to week we were there in may and launched at one end and retrieved at the other on some days .I imagine that depth is going to be the issue with a cat up there but i am hoping some cat owners might have some experience up there, maybe i am concerned about nothing.
Cheers Scott

Out-Station
26-07-2010, 08:21 AM
Scott, i've read a few posts on here by fellas that take them up there, they all seem to refer to the need to have a fair bit of tide to pick them up. I was up there in may and it was all winch work, no drive ons for us. I've never had allot to do with cats but i guess you can just pick them up of the deck like a mono if you have to like anything else just a bit more difficult to handle in the shallows given once you were grounded they would be harder to move around. Hopefully you get some advice from someone with first hand expereince as i'm only guessing.

If you had access to a tractor up there, then no worries at all.

Now i think about it i saw a fella snig about a 6m sailfish 50m accross the sand up the beach down at woolgoolga a couple of years back and load it straight of the deck no worries at all. Pretty wild lookin outfit and he had ovbioulsy done it before.

Cheer's, Scott

Noelm
26-07-2010, 03:42 PM
in some ways, getting a cat onto a trailer with bugger all water can be easier than the same sized mono, simply because it will stay nice and flat/level and not "flop" to one side, kind of like when you want to take it off the trailer at home for repairs, a cat is the easiset of the lot to do, but that being said, no boat is a pile of laughs to get back onto a trailer with a low tide.