PDA

View Full Version : Volunteer DPI officers

Member101
24-07-2010, 01:55 PM
I've noticed on this forum that alot of people are talking about DPI/Fisheries Inspectors etc and have come to the conclusion that when we want/need them, there just isnt enough around. And another thread that they wont be working weekends to cut costs in pays.

What if there was a way thet we could have volunteer DPI/fisheries members similar to the way VMR operate?

Would anyone be interested? This is just a thought.

Steve

mitchdemeanor
24-07-2010, 02:14 PM
I like the idea not sure about what sort of legislation would be required in order to give volunteers law enforcement powers and would there be some that would abuse it? :-?

In theory its a good idea but so was communism ;D

Member101
24-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Maybe something along the lines of one volunteer with each officer. Rather than 2 officers in the same place. That would, at least theoretically, double the number of fisheries on the water.

Steve

pescados
24-07-2010, 03:39 PM
The volunteer idea is good but not sure if it would work as some people take great offence when being told fish is under size, equipment etc.
Had a guy I know ( about 5 ft nothing) queried a guy (build like a country outhouse)about the number of crab nets he had in the water.
Reply was, mind your own business or join the crab nets.

Tinnymick
24-07-2010, 05:36 PM
I would volunteer to help out.

rayken1938
24-07-2010, 07:36 PM
Solution is to employ more people not to use volunteers.
The next thing they would get rid of all their staff and use volunteers exclusively resulting in more people out of work.
Would you be happy working alongside a green volunteer and eventually doing yourself out of a job.
There is a lot more to the job than walking around with a measureing stick and checking fish sizes and bag limits.
Cheers
Ray

bondy99
24-07-2010, 09:20 PM
G'day Guys (that includes girls too),

Volunteers dont have the authority to do anything except to take down notes.

They also require to be in the presence of a Fisheries Inspector or should say Field Officers as they are now called.

Volunteers also need to be have insurance cover for public liability, minimum was $5 million last time (about 10 years ago).

I should know, I was one of them for a short stent.

Peter

Tailorfisho78
05-08-2010, 11:55 AM
Maybe something along the lines of one volunteer with each officer. Rather than 2 officers in the same place. That would, at least theoretically, double the number of fisheries on the water.

Steve

I like your idea Steve. Im not racist but it might slow the Asians taking so many under size fish from our already deplented stocks. I think just about everytime I've been out land based fishing over the past 10yrs I manage to witness Asian persons taking what ever they want with total disrespect to any local fishing laws. I have even witnessed them evading a fisheries inspector at the Southport pumping Jetty, little did she know I was watching8-) , she ended up with 2 fines, 1 for undersize tailor and 1 for evading an fisheries inspector.

Cheers

Bros
05-08-2010, 12:08 PM
It could only work like this.

http://www.police.qld.gov.au/join/vip/

Dignity
06-08-2010, 08:13 PM
I agree with Bros, the support would be mostly adminastrative, just remember that you will also be dealing with those who specifically want to go outside the law and would have no qualms in dispatching you if possible, I seem to remember a couple of fisheries officers disappearing a few years ago. The government is unwilling to spend money in areas where the returns are negligible but the expense is greatest. There are the odd occassions where this occurs but only because there was enough evidence from a number of quarters to justify the expense. Please don't get me wrong I have great respect for many of the fisheries officers but there hands are tied with "lack of funds to pursue".

finga
09-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Pity they haven't got bag limit/size camera's to target the offenders.
It'll be just like speed camera's. They'll bring in the bacon (lots of bacon) so they'll have them by the hundreds.
Actually camera's on the sand pumping jetty and in the car park wouldn't be a bad idea at all. Find them bagging small fish and then track them to their car.

But seriously when/why is policing the laws of the land done on 'is it worth it or not' basis??
Why make the laws in the first place if they have no intention of policing them??

bondy99
20-08-2010, 07:49 AM
Pity they haven't got bag limit/size camera's to target the offenders.
It'll be just like speed camera's. They'll bring in the bacon (lots of bacon) so they'll have them by the hundreds.
Actually camera's on the sand pumping jetty and in the car park wouldn't be a bad idea at all. Find them bagging small fish and then track them to their car.

But seriously when/why is policing the laws of the land done on 'is it worth it or not' basis??
Why make the laws in the first place if they have no intention of policing them??

They already have cameras on the sand pumping jetty, but its only to spot those that want to climb over and get onto the outside platforms...bloody good spot to be on when tailor were in thick, about 7 years ago.

There are many laws around and some of these go back to the 19th Century as well as Horse and Cart days..still current and valid, some repealled. Others would be too much of a hassle to police and some damn right stupid..but that is the law...the law is what some people say...the law is an ass..

And there will always be one law for the rich, one law for the poor and another law that looks after cops ...always will and wont change..therefore the law is never equal...

Peter