PDA

View Full Version : amazing motor

shano
24-07-2010, 12:13 AM
today my mate told me of an outboard motor he had sitting at his mums farm in her barn, he told me that it has been sitting in there for the past 10 years untouched. anyway we get out there and walk up to this rickety old wooden barn heaps of cob webs and mess , after a while searching for the motor we finaly found it under some old car parts. well it didnt have its cowel on and was laying on its side in the dirt with the motor exposed. it was covered in dirt and dust that was collected over 10 years. has mud wasp nests in it and leaves and looks like the mice also once called it home before the snakes must have got them. anyway we drag it out take it back to his place gurnie it down, spray with inox and blow it out. took the plug out and also replaced the pull cord. a quick check to see if it had spark soon sent me across the foor and proving it did have plenty spark. we found some 2 stroke fuel he had from his old boat that was about 1.5 years old , pulled the choke and 3 pulls and it started. he always said it never missed a beat , well he was right. we sat there dumb founded . took about 1 minute for the tell tail water to clear the mud wasp nest out and man did it have some pressure! the motor is a 25hp evinrude 78 model. it surly amazed us. just thought i would share!;D

Matt76
24-07-2010, 05:53 AM
Thats pretty amazing. Good job.

finga
24-07-2010, 06:43 AM
Who needs new technology??

Donny Boy
24-07-2010, 07:16 AM
Similar story with my donk. When I got my rig it had been in a shed for so long, the trailer had rusted out under the boat. Been there at least 10 years. A lot of Reno work fixed it up, then turned our attention to the Motor. Johno V4 140 ( around mid 80's we think ) Replaced some wiring that had perished, plugs, fuel, & cleaned the tell tale & Boom ! away she went on the 2nd turn of the key. Guy I bought it off, swore that the thing had no more than 250 hours on it. After a couple of small drama on the water, (engine dying when we powered up) decided to get it pulled right down and completely gone over. I think they replaced a stator & the impellor. Still going strong. Apparently Bulletproof ?????

finga
24-07-2010, 08:21 AM
What else is in this shed??
http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Thinking/thinking-023.GIF
I love old sheds.....

shano
24-07-2010, 08:46 AM
yeah same , love to look through all the oldstuff! i remember going through one in winton last year what an experience that was had all sorts of cool stuff.

Jarrah Jack
24-07-2010, 03:23 PM
Know a few motor bike fanatics who do the same thing. Love going around searching old sheds looking for that old Vincent under the clutter.