PDA

View Full Version : painting tinny

39NESP
22-07-2010, 06:34 AM
i have bought old quintex special 12 foot with paint all most gone
can some one tell me best way to remove the rest of paint i do not want to grind and don't know if to use paint remover . has any one painted one before
cheers snap

lethal098
22-07-2010, 07:45 AM
Snap,

i had mine Soda blasted, not that expensive and does a great job. I started stripping myself but what a painful job. Ended up a lot easier just having blasted then painted.

cheers Lee

Seahorse
22-07-2010, 02:06 PM
want a professional job?
send me a PM

greg

sleepygreg
22-07-2010, 10:18 PM
now that brings back memories. Had a quinnie special from 1970 til about 1996. It was the family 'borrow the tinny' boat. My uncle originally bought it for us kids to take him fishing in (he wasnt to confident at boat handling) and it just sorta got handed down til I bought it off him when i had saved up some $ after I got my licence. Had a 6hp evinrude fisherman on the back...which was still starting first pull and trundling away all day when I sold it in '96. Lost count of the amount of prawns caught in it scoop netting Lake Illawarra, Lake Macquarie, Lake Hope and Wagonga Inlet. I learnt the art of trolling the flats, lakes and rivers for flathead in that boat. Also learnt patience when travelling to fishing spots.....cos it didnt really go that fast...but it always got you there and back. Also seen plenty of use on Lake Burrinjuck, Wyangala, Hume, Glenbawn, StClaire. Geez I miss that boat. You wouldnt have had much paint to strip off it...there wasnt much left when I sold it.

Anyway...back to the topic....get it soda blasted...there are too many nooks and crannies and folds to even contemplate doing it by hand...one of the reasons mine never got a new paint job.

Cheers
Greg

oldboot
22-07-2010, 11:42 PM
Ahh it all depends of how fussy you are going to be and if you are doing inside, outside or both.

I am in the process of doing the inside of mine ( its turned into a long term project).

For flatish surfaces ( like most of the outside) that can easily got at, hands down a flap disc on a grinder, a good level of feel, can be gentle or agressive, they don't clog too bad and they last.

A soft wire brush on a grinder is good for textured bits like groves, welds and joins but I would not go at light sheet areas with one....don't forget the face protection, full face shield a must.

I did quite a bit of work with a small hand held sand blaster and garnet gritt.....realy good for hard to get at places and corrosion, abit unpleasnt, and a bit slow.....you need a realy dry air supply with decent capacity and some sort of hood and face shield......wirking on the inside of the boat, most of the grit ends up back in the bottom where you can recycle it......do not let the sand get wet.

one thing that ya realy have to spend quite some time on is clean up....sand, dust and wire brush bits get everywhere.......vac, blow and wash and do it again.

Certainly achieveble on a small boat if you can cope with some hard work and discomfort........of get it soda blasted....I'd realy think about that next time.

OH......whle you are at it look for craks and holes and get them welded.

and don't be affriad to toss the thing off on the lawn and turn it upside down or on its side.

cheers