PDA

View Full Version : Which insurance company for a $10k boat?

no eye deer
21-07-2010, 07:42 AM
Which company would you reccomend?

My main concerns are hitting objects and sinking it,or denting it,and freight companies damaging it.
Any thoughts?

Thanks fellas,

Mark

TheRealAndy
21-07-2010, 07:54 AM
Well dont use club marine then. MAte of mine tore a leg off a stern drive recently, and water made its way into the engine. Club marine has refused to fix anything.

I use racq, but cant comment because I have never made a claim. Whilst the racq policy says they pay the lower of agreed or market value, they dont actually have the concept of market value for boats or motorbikes, so it goes on agreed value.

Jabiru658
21-07-2010, 09:03 AM
I use RACV for my tinny, I made a claim on my previous tinny about 3 years ago and they were easy to deal with. The premium was competitive too.

Rod_Bender
21-07-2010, 09:22 AM
I use suncorp for both tinny and reef rig. I have made one claim previously and was hassle free. Cheap and easy to deal with. Def shop around!!!!!! I know Suncorp gives you 20% discount if you are a member certain fishing clubs or coast guard, so mention it ifyou are

Defore
21-07-2010, 09:24 AM
I use racq.
Hit a submerged object in my boat a few years ago, holed the fiberglass.
They covered the repair cost and didn't even need to check the boat.
Very helpful.

Lancair
21-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Well dont use club marine then. MAte of mine tore a leg off a stern drive recently, and water made its way into the engine. Club marine has refused to fix anything.

How did he tear the leg off ? ?

Has he been given a reason for the rejection of claim from Club Marine ?

I have previously only heard good reports about club marine.

Lancair

TheRealAndy
21-07-2010, 01:27 PM
How did he tear the leg off ? ?

Has he been given a reason for the rejection of claim from Club Marine ?

I have previously only heard good reports about club marine.

Lancair

Long story, but ended up going into reverse while travelling foward at about15knots. Water go into the engine which was under 2 years old and they flat out refuse to fix reckon its wear and tear.

Volcano
21-07-2010, 01:44 PM
I recently switched over to Nautilus Marine. Couldnt be happier. Extremely happy with their product and what it covers. Hopefully I'll never need to make a claim...

gr hilly
21-07-2010, 02:33 PM
racq pay out more claims with less dramas.
Hilly

julian1
21-07-2010, 02:40 PM
yep Club Marine are all good until until a claim needs to be made, then they become very difficult

peterbo3
21-07-2010, 02:53 PM
I have been with Suncorp for ages. No boat claims but I get 25% discount as I belong to the CG & we have other Suncorp policies. I am paying around $700 for a $75000 boat.
Some policy conditions look REALLY tight with other insurance companies.

Thunderace2
21-07-2010, 03:06 PM
get Agreed value, not market value, saves tears when they want to value your boat and bugger all

Fatenhappy
21-07-2010, 04:50 PM
From personal experience with Club Marine .... had years of trouble free boating. Made one claim for just on 3 grand which was handled fairly well. The shock came with the next renewal with pretty close to a 50% hike in premium on a $100,000 boat .... even with all the previous years of trouble free incidents ...... bummer ! ... never again ! ... >:(

Spaniard_King
21-07-2010, 06:02 PM
RACQ, had a clain no issues.. good to deal with as well

no chicken tonight
21-07-2010, 06:31 PM
ive just had to make my first ever claim on my boat and was extemely happy with how fast and hassel free my ins co was. willis is the broker through qbe. not sure if they deal with recreational craft. a mate made a claim through his club marine policy, they paid in the end but took nearly 2 months!

Razgo-
22-07-2010, 07:50 PM
I have both NRMA & Club Marine. made a claim with RACQ and no issues. havent made a claim on club though.

russ

tim barra master
23-07-2010, 08:53 PM
I have been unfortunate enough to have wrecked a great setup and RACQ covered the repairs ok no real deal when placing the claim
Just be carefull where you take the repairs to though not a reflection on racq but the mongrells that might be repairing your pride and joy