PDA

View Full Version : Inflatable PFD1 for kids

spelchek
20-07-2010, 03:59 PM
Anyone know if there are auto-inflating PFD1's for a kid of 28kg?

Thanks!

TheRealAndy
20-07-2010, 05:03 PM
Why would you even bother taking the risk?

spelchek
20-07-2010, 05:47 PM
What do you mean - what risk are you talking about?

Luc
20-07-2010, 08:32 PM
Inflatable PFD are triggered either manually or automatically.

Manual trigger - can you be sure your kid would remember to pull the toggle to trigger the inflation.

Automatic trigger - kids love to get wet even in a boat so the automatic trigger might get set off !!

Luc

cormorant
20-07-2010, 08:45 PM
I think the point is auto triggers can fail and a kid may not pull the cord and then drowns.

Put em in a quality comfortable foam one .Much safer for teh kid.

spelchek
21-07-2010, 01:34 AM
So, out of interest, what is the failure rate for the auto-inflate variety? I particularly interested as I use one myself for solo trips - am I deluding myself about it's reliability?

TheRealAndy - you seem to be pretty adamant I'm doing the wrong thing by even considering an auto-inflate PFD. Are they really that unreliable? Please enlighten me as to your failure to inflate percentages and sources for those figures - I'm genuinely interested.

TheRealAndy
21-07-2010, 06:45 AM
So, out of interest, what is the failure rate for the auto-inflate variety? I particularly interested as I use one myself for solo trips - am I deluding myself about it's reliability?

TheRealAndy - you seem to be pretty adamant I'm doing the wrong thing by even considering an auto-inflate PFD. Are they really that unreliable? Please enlighten me as to your failure to inflate percentages and sources for those figures - I'm genuinely interested.

I am opposed to inflatable PFD's period. Rather a foam PFD as then I dont have to worry about it failing to inflate when I need it most. Foam PFD's dont fail to inflate, dont inflate by accident and will keep you afloat if you take a knock to the head.

Kids are unreliable, I'd rather not take the risk personally.

BTW, failure rates. Yup, I have seen them fail to inflate. Likewise I have almost been choked to death when one inflated on me by accident. Dont have numbers, but I am sure there are more out there.

rayken1938
21-07-2010, 05:17 PM
I agree with Andy when you fall inyou want the bouyancy immediatley . You dont want to be mucking about trying to remember the location of the pull cord.
The automatic ones rely on a piece of chalk disolving and have a habit of inflating when wet.
Ie if its raining and also if left in storage in the boat.
Cheers
Ray

thelump
21-07-2010, 07:25 PM
I bet the guys that got trapped under the boat in Ballina last week wish thet had manual self inflating jackets on! Food for thought

rayken1938
21-07-2010, 08:22 PM
From Marine Safety qld Bulletin.
What are the requirements for lifejackets and PFDs for children?
The legislation calls for a lifejacket or PFD of an appropriate size for each person. The label
of a lifejacket or PFD will carry information about the intended body mass range, that is, the
intended wearer's weight.
A lifejacket or PFD must fit the wearer. Zips should be closed and straps firmly tightened.
Any looseness will allow the wearer, particularly a child, to slip down in the jacket and the
head will not be held clear of the water. Consider the use of a crotch strap.
AS 1512 – 1996 PFD Type 1 does not permit inflatable PFDs for body masses below 40 kg.
Inflatable PFDs are not recommended for children below the age of about 6 or 7. If an
inflatable jacket is to be used for children automatic inflation is recommended.
Teach your child to use the PFD, to move about and swim and also to float quietly.
Should I get my children to practice wearing their PFDs in the water?
Have all your family and regular boating companions wear, and if inflatable then manually
inflate, their PFD. Get into the water, say in a pool. Get a feel for the PFD by moving about
and swimming. Climb out and jump in a few times. You'll see the need for a firm fit and
where a crotch strap can add to your security. Familiarity gained in a non stressful session
will pay off if you need to use the PFD in an emergency situation.
Cheers
Ray

spelchek
21-07-2010, 08:26 PM
AS 1512 – 1996 PFD Type 1 does not permit inflatable PFDs for body masses below 40 kg.

Ahh - that tears it then. Thanks Ray.

For what its worth, both my 'boat age' kids have Hutchwilco pfd with crutch strap at present and I'm very strict about their use. And they swim in them every oppurtunity they get during summer when we do 'boat picnics' (as they call them).

ozscott
21-07-2010, 09:10 PM
I am opposed to inflatable PFD's period. Rather a foam PFD as then I dont have to worry about it failing to inflate when I need it most. Foam PFD's dont fail to inflate, dont inflate by accident and will keep you afloat if you take a knock to the head.

Mate - I used to think the same way....and still do to a certain extent. The problem as I see it though (having just ordered 2 auto inflating ones today for adults funnily enough - but having very good Hutch Wilco foam ones also) is that the foam ones do not necessarily right the body if upside down and unconscious - the 150 newton auto inflates will right the body within 4 seconds (now they MAY not work, but generally do, so at least you get a chance to get flipped over...if you are face down with the foam one then the foam one will just make it easier for the police to find the body...).

Cheers

TheRealAndy
21-07-2010, 10:33 PM
Mate - I used to think the same way....and still do to a certain extent. The problem as I see it though (having just ordered 2 auto inflating ones today for adults funnily enough - but having very good Hutch Wilco foam ones also) is that the foam ones do not necessarily right the body if upside down and unconscious - the 150 newton auto inflates will right the body within 4 seconds (now they MAY not work, but generally do, so at least you get a chance to get flipped over...if you are face down with the foam one then the foam one will just make it easier for the police to find the body...).

Cheers

If it does not keep your head out of the water then I am fairly certain it does not comply. I shall look into this one when I get a chance.

ozscott
22-07-2010, 05:59 AM
If it does not keep your head out of the water then I am fairly certain it does not comply. I shall look into this one when I get a chance.

Cheers mate. I think all PFD1's have to keep your head out of the water, but I dont think they have to or are designed to turn you over if you go in head first (and unconscious say) whereas for example the Plastimo Pilots I just purchased say they will turn you over from face down within 4 seconds even in normal offshore wet weather gear. Now a few years ago there was a basic test that found that about half of the 150N class didnt do that with wet weather gear including gum boots but seemed to say that may well have been because of the air in the wet weather gear that was trapped but that even then wave action could well turn them over once inflated. The plastimo site does not say may turn over, but will turn over....thats enough for me to buy them over standard vest now as an auto for adult use, particularly with the comfort factor meaning they will be on all the time (except when I jump in for a dip!)

Cheers