PDA

View Full Version : myth busters

Noelm
19-07-2010, 09:37 AM
I had a bit of a thought this morning (no jokes, I know it is rare for me to think) how about we start a thread that deals with common misnomers in the boating world, simple things like e-tecs only have warranty and need a service every 300 hours if used in freshwater only, 4 strokes break down more often because there is more parts, stuff like that, no brand bashing or anything like that, just facts from people who know and can tell us the truth about all this sort of stuff, another one that springs to mind is the old Suzuki 140 is only 127HP, truth or myth? what do you reckon worth a try? of course it is open to fanatics who might post crap and myths because their motor/boat is the best one ever made, and it may also degrade into a sh!t fight, but just maybe not.

Chimo
19-07-2010, 10:00 AM
I dont think the freshwater thing with etecs is correct but the extra parts in 4 strokes leading to more breakdowns does sound true! And the 140 being only 127 would explain why a pr of them on a friends boat really seem gutless.

So far it seems you have two out of three correct \\

Well done

Cheers
Chimo

finding_time
19-07-2010, 10:00 AM
Good idea Noel!

I'll start it off!

Myth no.1 You need the maximum Hp allowable on your boat if your going to use it for bar work because hullshot is super important!!!

Noelm
19-07-2010, 10:08 AM
so then Cimo, why exactly do you reckon more parts = more breakdowns? hang on have we just started a sh!t fight?? (just kidding) I dont think quality parts are prone to failure, just becasue there is more of them, and if you have some sort of concrete proof that a Suzie 140 is only 127HP, then it will be worthy of being here.

STUIE63
19-07-2010, 10:12 AM
a personal hate of mine is etecs will be banned from dams but four strokes will be allowed
Stuie

Noelm
19-07-2010, 10:19 AM
kind of doubt that will happen in the next 20 years, but you never know, so that may fit in the myth category

gr hilly
19-07-2010, 10:41 AM
i got a new 30 hp for my tinnie i have always used Merc so i got a Merc then i find out i ended up with a Tohotsu yes they make all small Mercs.
cheers Hilly

Stuart
19-07-2010, 10:43 AM
I think the myth of 4 strokes breaking down more simply because it has more parts is more a joke than a myth. In this day and age of modern technology and high end oils it’s no wonder we are getting mileage and longevity out of our engines never before seen. I have just clocked up 400,000 Ks in my little 4 cylinder ford 97 models, doesn’t even blow smoke and uses very little oil. This is simply a result of good maintenance in regular oil changes, filters and not flogging the ring gear out of it. In having said that I have also seen plenty of 2 stroke outboards with over 2000 hours on the clock and I have also seen one 4 stroke with over 4500 hour on the clock with no problems.

Stu

finga
19-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Here's a myth for you.
Most boats will fall apart in the north Queensland chop....and the north Queensland chop is the worse chop in the world .

And another...a new boat has to be better then an old one.

And another...a fibreglass boat is a lot heavier then a very similar aluminium boat.

And another...a fibreglass boat is more prone to structural damage from little knocks then an aluminium boat is ie aluminium can a take a knock and glass cannot

And another...If you have a boat more then 4m long then you have to drive it on the trailer.

Mercury's are nothing but black anchors. (I was going to say Mercury's suck but that wouldn't be kosher would it??)

All crap. :)

blacksunday
19-07-2010, 11:59 AM
lol i can see the gloves comming off soon:P :o

Jarrah Jack
19-07-2010, 12:03 PM
That stainless doesn't rust..

That fiberglass doesn't rot

That Aluminum doesn't corrode

That Finga looks like Clark Gable

BillR1
19-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Here is a couple or so...

Bananas in boats are bad luck

Parachutes should always be used for deep sea fishing

You are not a man if you don't use overhead reels

Women catch more fish than men (I hope the other half doesn't see this)

BillR

ozscott
19-07-2010, 12:23 PM
Here's a myth for you.

And another...If you have a boat more then 4m long then you have to drive it on the trailer.

All crap. :)

That got me laughing....love it. I have, over time, become a drive on fella, but I have no problems at all waiting for blokes to winch on, whether by manual or auto. We all have our preferences and confidence levels with our rigs and taking a breath and recognising that makes it all much less of a drama. I get really pissed with people who get pissed with people who winch on, even though I now drive on.

Cheers

fly_1
19-07-2010, 12:41 PM
The old favourite, my aluminium boat doesn't bang!!! , and of course, the old nth qld chop is no good for cats....

Noelm
19-07-2010, 12:56 PM
must be a bummer to live in NQ I reckon, can't own a cat, and almost any boat is going to be smashed to bits by the deadly chop (except a Barcrusher of course)

Pazz01
19-07-2010, 01:16 PM
must be a bummer to live in NQ I reckon, can't own a cat, and almost any boat is going to be smashed to bits by the deadly chop (except a Barcrusher of course)

It is a bummer, all the trout and reds we catch, the best fishing in the world here. Yeah the old cat wouldn't make it and neither would a alloy, only glass up here mate:P .

Pazz

Noelm
19-07-2010, 01:36 PM
just imagine how long an Alloy cat would last then, hey! How about anyone that lets a fish go is a greenie, and anyone who keeps a few for a feed is a redneck killer.

finga
19-07-2010, 01:45 PM
How's this one Noel??
....true or false are the only answers allowed.
Fisher MkII boats are better then the originals??
My answer is not a hope in hell....Oops, true or false only. So....false.

Flex
19-07-2010, 02:05 PM
That the large quintrex Stacer and formosa(I'm a fan of formosa btw) boats are true Plate alloy boats..

Chimo
19-07-2010, 02:12 PM
so then Cimo, why exactly do you reckon more parts = more breakdowns? hang on have we just started a sh!t fight?? (just kidding) I dont think quality parts are prone to failure, just becasue there is more of them, and if you have some sort of concrete proof that a Suzie 140 is only 127HP, then it will be worthy of being here.

Hi Noelm

42.7 percent of all the two people on the boat who knew that statistics are made up on the spot thought so.

Therefore correct, QED

Cheers
Chimo

sid_fishes
19-07-2010, 03:11 PM
How's this one Noel??
....true or false are the only answers allowed.
Fisher MkII boats are better then the originals??
My answer is not a hope in hell....Oops, true or false only. So....false.

now, now scott.

kitty_cat
19-07-2010, 03:28 PM
faulse 140 suzuki 127 hp
true 140 hp suzuki 138hp on a dyno tune recently

BillR1
19-07-2010, 03:31 PM
just imagine how long an Alloy cat would last then, hey! How about anyone that lets a fish go is a greenie, and anyone who keeps a few for a feed is a redneck killer.

I agree the last two points are myths but a lady totally stumped me a while ago. We were talking and came around to passtimes etc and I told her I like fishing.

Well, that was the end of that conversation. She looked down her long nose at me and said with enough venom to kill a horse "Fishing is BARBARIC"
Couldn't think of any good comebacks at the time. Thought of lots since. Wish I could have that moment over.

Noelm
19-07-2010, 03:47 PM
oh, so then Kitty, is that a for sure 100% truth? not a mate who heard sort of thing, if so then that common old myth is busted. We might get some busted myths to make a decent list yet.

dogsbody
19-07-2010, 03:52 PM
You need to spend a fortune on your fishing gear to catch more fish.

Dave

FNQCairns
19-07-2010, 05:08 PM
That modern engines give less trouble over their lifetimes than engines 20 years ago did.

That oils are oils.

That oils are so good today we don't need to warm up an engine.

That 4 blades are more efficient than 3.

That foils fix problems with trim.

That the manufacturers know best "because they built it"

That gearbox's who don't 'need' their first oil change in the first 5 hours of use will last just as long as ones that did get an early oil change.

That SS props spinning at less than 3000rpm are automatically (noticeably) more efficient than their aluminium equivalents.

Catweb
19-07-2010, 07:21 PM
That nobody but a Queenslander or a lobotomised unfortunate would own an Alvey. (Well that's what the bloke that I worked for as a youngster in the local tackle shop always said).

wags on the water
19-07-2010, 07:25 PM
Here's a myth for you.
And another...a new boat has to be better then an old one. :)

Myth busted -----> my new boat a couple of years ago....:-X :-X :-X

Stik-ugly
19-07-2010, 08:32 PM
That all people using a spinning outfit on the beach at Fraser are from Victoria

alcam2001
19-07-2010, 09:35 PM
That if outboards worked better with foils, the manufacturer would build them on.

That if you do something yourself instead of paying someone else heaps to do it (eg fix your boat or import boat parts) then you are endangering the local industry

That mangroves are fragile and take a long time to regrow from any damage

That reduced fish catches are always caused by overfishing and proves that there are reduced fish numbers in the water

That S/S fittings cause less total corrosion to an aluminium hull than galv fittings (!!!!!!!!)

That knee problems are caused by banging along in alum hulls

That flip down sun visors inside the windscreen are of no use in boats and shouldn't be fitted

That fuel economy is best at just above planing speed and drops off all the way from there up.

That the slight loss in fuel economy using ethanol in fuel, is made up for by the lower price

That expensive fishing gear catches more fish

ozscott
19-07-2010, 09:57 PM
T

That flip down sun visors inside the windscreen are of no use in boats and shouldn't be fitted

What a great idea! I am going to do it!

I also reckon a centre mounted rear vision mirror is a great idea on most cabin boats/runabouts etc...im going to the wreckers soon enough to get one of those and I might get some visors whilst there...although they would get blown down again by the wind when put up so maybe not...

dodgyone
19-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Lowrance make a reliable unit and back their product up with a contactable help lines and prompt warrenty response.

finga
20-07-2010, 06:37 AM
You need to spend a fortune on your fishing gear to catch more fish.

Dave
The sad part is you spend a fortune finding that out.
You've seen juts a part of my rod and reel collection and I always go to the $17 Snyderglas and $5 Alvey :-?

dreemon
20-07-2010, 06:51 AM
Ozscott, make sure you get the DUAL OVERHEAD VISORS, you'll get way more performance and economy 8-)

MarkLong
20-07-2010, 07:47 AM
Myth - Global warming

ozscott
20-07-2010, 07:51 AM
Ozscott, make sure you get the DUAL OVERHEAD VISORS, you'll get way more performance and economy 8-)

Nice...a little bit extra performance will help. I might have to get them in black. If they are not Toyota they wont work when I need them too...

Cheers

charleville
20-07-2010, 07:57 AM
That Seabreeze.com.au forecasts are better than the official BoM forecasts, or vice versa.

The weather has proven both of those assertions false more times than I can remember.

finga
20-07-2010, 08:01 AM
Nice...a little bit extra performance will help. I might have to get them in black. If they are not Toyota they wont work when I need them too...

Cheers
Lucky they'll be going on a boat.....
Boats don't have brakes so they can't fail then can they??

Noelm
20-07-2010, 09:29 AM
I just thought of another myth (and I reckon I will get stoned for this) a Landrover Discovery can safely tow 3.5 tonnes!

propdinger
20-07-2010, 10:21 AM
I just thought of another myth (and I reckon I will get stoned for this) a Landrover Discovery can safely tow 3.5 tonnes!
hope not,tow that weight quite often but then again not in nth qld::)

ozscott
20-07-2010, 12:18 PM

You will never hear me saying that (at least about the series 1 and 2 Discovery of which I have one each) - I have a 95 (last of the non-abs models) that is rated to...wait for it...4tonns! I would not want to tow more than 2 with it but the ratings do show just how strong that chassis is.

The new D4 and D3 would probably tow 3.5 tonns happily and safely on short journeys, no better or worse than a new Cruiser, but with either vehicle I would not like to go a long way with 3.5 tonn hanging on the rear....

Cheers

kitty_cat
20-07-2010, 01:41 PM
oh, so then Kitty, is that a for sure 100% truth? not a mate who heard sort of thing, if so then that common old myth is busted. We might get some busted myths to make a decent list yet.

all fact mate test was done recently in melbourne

wayne

Vromme
20-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Deckies catch the best fish (except when im the deckie).

Speed cameras are for saving lives not revenue!
(yes its boat related most have trailer boats)

banksmister
20-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Peter Garrett studies all the facts then makes well judged decisions
Oh and he is not a hypocrite

finga
21-07-2010, 06:58 AM
You need to go 35km's offshore and fish in 500m+ to catch a fish when you do fish in the ocean.....and you need to fish 2.67m from someone else when your 35km's offshore.

Well I reckon people believe that which is great for us because we're flat out getting 4km's off the beach :)

Noelm
21-07-2010, 08:06 AM
yep, it is pretty common knowledge that the further out you are, the bigger the fish.

BREAMBOSS01
21-07-2010, 08:13 PM
That when you go to the gulf you only need to throw in a shiny hook and youll catch a barra.

you need to dunk your boat trailer in till the back wheels of your car are touching the water,

then proceed to drive the boat on the trailer only to have it float off the side cos your trailers too far in the water.:o

every big barra you catch in an impoundment is a breeding female, in fact they cant breed without saltwater.:-X

Mister
22-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Waves are always bigger than what they really are.

Rec fisho's have no affect on the fish stocks

Jarrah Jack
22-07-2010, 01:26 PM
Waves are always bigger than what they really are.

So are a few other things with fishermen.:)

Coontakinta
22-07-2010, 01:34 PM
How about anyone that lets a fish go is a greenie, and anyone who keeps a few for a feed is a redneck killer.

This would explain my many personalities;D

pog mo hoin
22-07-2010, 11:29 PM
Sea Storm Wins Small Business of the Year!!!

PinHead
23-07-2010, 05:58 AM
I can catch snapper

jake0
23-07-2010, 06:14 AM
Toyota's have better resale

swift
23-07-2010, 07:24 AM
That the large quintrex Stacer and formosa(I'm a fan of formosa btw) boats are true Plate alloy boats..

Finally...... Someone who Know the difference between True Plate & an upgraded pressed Boat. :D

ozscott
23-07-2010, 07:58 AM

Rec fisho's have no affect on the fish stocks

Thats actually true for 99% of recreational fisherman...cause we are such crap at fishing...the 1% that can haul up snapper etc with potent ability then of course it must have some effect on stock if a particular area is overfished.

Cheers