PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a old Reef Ranger

FishHunter
19-07-2010, 06:52 AM
We just bought a Old Cruise Craft Reef Ranger 18 from a bloke who had it for less than a year he took it in for a service and discovered the Transom and some stringers are rotted and decided he didn't want to spend any more money on it.
It needs some work the seats are knackered and had frogs living in them some of the gauges don't work and its dirty and needs a good cut and polish. But I got it for less than the cost of a trailer and I don't mind a bit of work.

The motor is the weak point but I will replace it when it plays up. however it comes with a workshop manual and was apparently reconditioned by the 1st owner.

What kind of consumption should I be expecting?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/razzo/Australia/Reef%20Ranger/P1010400.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/razzo/Australia/Reef%20Ranger/DSC_0044.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/razzo/Australia/Reef%20Ranger/P1010398.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWpM8Ig5d4w

Noelm
19-07-2010, 09:04 AM
I reckon I would be fixing the floor and transom before I started worrying about an old carby V6 Johnson dieing on me, very simple and strong engine, they like to drink when pushed, but then what 150HP carby engined doesn't? not too sure about the reconditioned part, almost every second hand engine sold has been "just serviced", fully reconditioned", "only needs a tune up" take that with a grain of salt, fix the hull, then run the engine and see how it all goes.

gr hilly
19-07-2010, 10:28 AM
a bit of a project but they are a good boat and the old Johno's are indestructible im doing up a Johno myself.
cheers Hilly

FishHunter
19-07-2010, 11:13 AM
I reckon I would be fixing the floor and transom before I started worrying about an old carby V6 Johnson dieing on me, very simple and strong engine, they like to drink when pushed, but then what 150HP carby engined doesn't? not too sure about the reconditioned part, almost every second hand engine sold has been "just serviced", fully reconditioned", "only needs a tune up" take that with a grain of salt, fix the hull, then run the engine and see how it all goes.

Its not touching the water till the hull is sound, its already been looked at and quoted on before I found out about it and I had a long chat with the highly recommended bloke who quoted on it, all before I laid out any cash.

There are bound to be surprises but I have done done lots of research and checked things over to try and minimise them.

Jarrah Jack
19-07-2010, 11:53 AM
Good on ya. It will be a really good boat once that work is done. Have a read of the recent transom repair threads if you already haven't. Then you can check on the repair work and ask the right questions.

Good luck with it.

And yep the 150 will love a drink but budgets on these things can explode as well.

Donny Boy
19-07-2010, 12:39 PM
Goodonya FH, ;)

Did exactly the same thing with mine.

Stripped it right down & did Stringers, Transom, Floor, Motor, Guages, the lot....:-?

Painted it too...........lots of work...........took a lot of weekends......then gave it to the experts for the real stuff ( Electrics, Motor, Rewiring, Fitting new Electronics etc.)

Goes great now.......a good old boat..........1986 Crestrida. Love it. ;D

Good luck......and get some of those lightweight coveralls if you're going to do any Fibreglass cutting.

Depending on where you are, I've got all the contact names you'll need if you want them.

Enjoy. ;)

dreemon
19-07-2010, 07:55 PM
It'll be a fun project and a great reward to you when it's done, . . . . makes one wonder though, when is it really done?::) and that's true for even a brand spanker. enjoy the ride;D

sleepygreg
19-07-2010, 10:08 PM
they are a great old hull. I had the reef raider, same hull but shorter. Would have another in a heartbeat if I could find a good one. the johnno would drink like a fish, as all the old 2 bangers of that HP did once you went above cruise speed, but they are a solid engine. I cant stand two stroke fumes...so if it was my project I would be putting a 4stk or a HPDI on it...and you will have a rig that will last you for years and give you plenty of trouble free and comfortable fishing.

Greg