PDA

View Full Version : fisheries disgrace

35kg jew
17-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Hi guys just thought i would share a situation wat happened to me 2 weeks ago envolving a fisheries officer!!!

First of all we fished hard all night and i caught 2 good jew which i was sooooo happy wit as both were of good size 15kg plus and put alot of time and hours chasing them in the past. (pics are the ones in my 2day jew hit):)

Anyway after few pics we headed down to the ramp to clean these fish when a bad mannered fisheries chubby lady and man turned up.Wat happened next was shocking.First as there was alot of people around the boat ramp cleaning and launching boats they infront of alot of people told everyone this is why there is no jew left in the sea telling everyone that guys like me are destroying these fish and she also walked around telling everyone that i was gonna be fined $500 for keeping 2 fish over 70cm..

I was shell shocked as im aloud 2 fish over 70cm WAT THE!!

They grabbed 1 off my fish throw it in the boat on no ice in the sun than gave me a fine which they left on the fillet table.I said im allowed 2 over 70cm she replied no only one and off they went in there boat!!!

20mins later the boat returns he walks up wit my fish in his hand grabbed the fine told me i could have my fish back as he was thinking of flathead which are only 1 over 70cm in nsw..

Was there an apology for making me feel like an idiot no!!!!Did the lady get out the boat to come over and say sorry no!!! To busy eating!!!

I rang up and made a complaint they told me if i had the fine to prove wat happened those officers might have got told off but they knew this and grabbed that fine and took it..

Wat a disgrace if the officers dont even no the right sizes!!!!:-[

TimiBoy
17-07-2010, 01:21 PM
Best action next time will be to ask the Officers for their names and ID numbers.

What a shameful display from Fisheries.

Cheers,

Tim

banshee
17-07-2010, 01:23 PM
That's as poor as piss....pair of clowns need a rocket up them.

samson
17-07-2010, 01:34 PM
That's normal bud i get it all the time being commercial the laws are supposed to be our responsability to know but we know the laws better than 90% of the feild officers out there they are trained to gain revinue not pretect the fishery if they did a little research they wouldn't need picture id books in their pockets or size charts, this is shit they should know if they plan on doing something for the fishery instead of asking each other with a dumb look on their face what specie that is or i'll take a picture of this fish and tell you if you broke the law later maybe they better start learning the rules themselves before degrading other people with attitude, rude comments or fines when they don't kwow the shit themselves.

finga
17-07-2010, 05:24 PM
I would have kept the fine and gone banana's.

FNQCairns
17-07-2010, 05:50 PM
Go to the cops and try and get them charged with theft?? because mistake or not that is what it was, the law is clear.

Of coarse there is no-one to go to allow lawful rights are respected...I know! call Ghostbusters they would be the best we can do.

Richard
17-07-2010, 06:23 PM
Where'd it happen ?

timddo
17-07-2010, 06:25 PM
The normal humble fiherman are the same. I hate it when people don't know the rules and try to tell you off.

Apollo
17-07-2010, 07:02 PM
Write a complaint giving all details to your local state MP. It will quickly get dealt with.

goona
17-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Sorry to hear and what a load of crap. I had a similar incident over at Morton where 1 was an absolute NAZI. Would not listen to rime nor reason and was justthere to raise revenue and this is precisly why I hate dealing with them and the water police. I always do the rght thing but as soon as they board your boat they dig and dig until they eventually find something even if it is the most petty thing like your flares have expired by 1 week. In my eyes yes the law is the law but for god sake 1 week. give a warning and every one is happy.

Awshucks
17-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Where'd it happen ?

In N.S.W >:( you and your kind are not going unnoticed 35.

35kg jew
17-07-2010, 10:54 PM

Yes it was and i have made a formal complaint!!
Dont no wat u mean by my kind either awshucks!
I do the right thing and put alot of effort in like all us fishos and should not have to put up wit this crap from the people who are supposed to no wat there talking about.I no the name of these officers and have 10 witness.:P

CHEE-FEE
18-07-2010, 06:02 AM
Sounds as though they are all the same, no matter where you go. They think they are the Police, whereas, in reality, there are nothing more than glorified public servants. The powers that be give these people a Smokey the Bear hat and a tin badge and let them loose. They seem to believe that they can go anywhere at anytime, a lot of times without proper legal or Legislative back-up, and the poor old fisherman lets them do what they will because they roll up with the "huff and puff, bluff and bull$hit" approach and, because of the uniform, or the " do what you've got to do ######## and pi$$ off and leave me alone" attitude most have towards such people, they get to poke their heads in wherever they see fit. They now seem to think they can fine people for "having the intent" to do something. Pretty soon you'll be able to cop a fine just because you don't already have a fine for somthing else. They must be doing allright, though; for a broke Government that has to sell the farm just to pay the light bill, this crowd of homo, neo-nazi, green storm troopers have a fleet of boats of various sizes and descriptions, a couple of jet skis and whatever else takes their fancy all at their disposal, all running out of their lovely big building on prime real estate right next to the public boat ramp at Manly. It's quite amazing how much clout (political and otherwise) these dope-smoking, free-loving, unwashed, hairy-armpitted, tree-hugging green hippy pricks have got. Resist all this $hit as much as we can, because Anna and her mates are gone next time round (that's if she doesn't get knifed first!), and some other mob might just listen to reason and stop this and maybe even give us something back.

Cheers,
NICK.

Dezzer
18-07-2010, 06:52 AM
All for fishing being regulated but not by fools. Poor form.

dreemon
18-07-2010, 07:04 AM

Yeah !!! ! ! Awshucks what the hell are you going on about? ! ? explain yourself >:(

Apollo
18-07-2010, 07:22 AM
I have to say that I have never had any issues with the fisheries guys/gals that have come over to me (usually in the straits or Sunshine coast). They were respectful and received the same. Asked what they needed to ask, were shown what they needed to see - all good, had a quick chat and were on their way. Any questions I have asked them, they have answered or if they didn't know, they told me where to find it out.

I am not suggesting anything here in relation to your situation 35, but commenting that the type of person you came up against, has not been representative of those I have encountered.

Steve

indy
18-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Yeah have to agree that was very bad form from them they should have a chart with everything on it up to date so they dont have to second guess it. I would not have let them take my fish no way if i new i was 100% correct. Grab yourself a good chart and show them that they have made a mistake just incase this ever happens again. I no you shouldn't have to because they should no the rules but just goes to show some of them dont. I have been checked a few times and been fined for flares once my bad i was new to boating back then first boat and copped it sweet so fair enough.

I was checked a while back after fishing kawana comp and we where coming back in i said to my mate did he pectral fin the coronation trout he caught and he said yes and i was a little unsure so left it at that. When we arrived at the ramp a fisheries guy approached us and asked to check our catch ect, he checked every possible spot in the boat for fish ect and i thought nothing to worry about everything is above board never keep anything illegal or undersize and have all the correct safety gear.

When we started pulling out the fish out comes mr coronation trout un pecked and i thought sh*t here we go but because all the other fish where done and all safety gear correct he said ( I can see you guy's did everything else correct and it was just a mistake) and he didn't fine us. The officer i thought was a real nice bloke doing his job correctly and showed a bit of leanency towards that one mistake.

If there was more like him i think they would have a better rap.

But yeah they are not all bad just a small majority.

With out them i think it would be hard to catch a feed at all.

cheers pete..

tiny_tinny
18-07-2010, 08:31 AM
I have to say that I have never had any issues with the fisheries guys/gals that have come over to me (usually in the straits or Sunshine coast). They were respectful and received the same. Asked what they needed to ask, were shown what they needed to see - all good, had a quick chat and were on their way. Any questions I have asked them, they have answered or if they didn't know, they told me where to find it out.

I am not suggesting anything here in relation to your situation 35, but commenting that the type of person, you came up against has not be representative of those I have encountered.

Steve

I agree, Steve. All of my meetings with Qld Fisheries staff have been very polite.

Unfortunately I can't say the same about Qld Water Police, who behaved in a very unfriendly, even aggressive, way when they pulled me over on the Brissy River to check my safety gear (which was all in order). That one time was the only complaint I would have about the authorities on the water. Every other meeting (including Police) was very polite and professional.

Mike

Pridey
18-07-2010, 08:39 AM
I dont know how its ever happened, but since leaving Western Australia (where your blue manna crabs are regularly checked.) the only officials I have ever come across where GRBMPA. My old man was in the boat and got a lecture on not using his lifejacket as a cushion :P I was happy it was them trying to tell him not to do it rather than me ! When he found out they couldnt do anything about it he gave them a mouthful and told them to unhitch their ropes or we'd take of with them still attached ! They were only fairly young people too, I think they felt a little out of their depth.

I found the whole thing a little amusing to tell the truth.

snasman
18-07-2010, 08:49 AM
Ive had dealing with a fat pork chop shelia officer aswell if shes the same one she needs an attitude adjustment for some one that works with the public,she ALSO didnt know the rules, came up to me on the plane from over 500 meters away in a very well marked 6knt area headed straight towards me I stood up ans started screaming at this boat and she just kept coming and pulled up beside me ,the first thing out of her mouth was ,Whats your problem ,so I told her it was a 6 knot area how could you miss the signs or are you people exempt from the laws the rest of the humans have to abide by ,I was totally ignored and she proceeded to lift the lids on my esky ,when she couldnt find anything she just took off again on the plane, most of them Ive dealt with have been polite but that fat cow is a piece of work another time ,I did have to explain to an officer the difference between a pike and a whiting last season to a new officer ,I was fairly discussed about that ,I though they should know there breeds a bit better than that before being let loose on the public.

odes20
18-07-2010, 09:50 AM
Sorry to hear and what a load of crap. I had a similar incident over at Morton where 1 was an absolute NAZI. Would not listen to rime nor reason and was justthere to raise revenue and this is precisly why I hate dealing with them and the water police. I always do the rght thing but as soon as they board your boat they dig and dig until they eventually find something even if it is the most petty thing like your flares have expired by 1 week. In my eyes yes the law is the law but for god sake 1 week. give a warning and every one is happy.

I really want to know if Fisheries or Water Police come visiting you, do you have to let them on board at law?? Also tying up to your boat, can you say no?

John

odes20
18-07-2010, 09:53 AM
I say pursue it absolutely, Talk to local Member and Fisheries Office and describe these offensive Officers. They will clearly know who was on duty, and demand an official apology!

Cheers
John

Pridey
18-07-2010, 09:57 AM
Going to do some research on their actual power/responcibilites. Whos who in the zoo so to speak. Only going to look up QLD though.

I'd always tie them up, just for safteys sake.. who knows, if they go in the drink I could possibly be held liable as the skipper of one of the vessels!

odes20
18-07-2010, 10:09 AM
This issue also raises what I call ETHICS IN PROSECUTING THE LAW. What Indy told in this thread is what Police Officers and Fisheries or whoever should learn as a life skill.
The lack of sincerity toward the community by too many law enforcemnt officers today is appalling. When someone is actually found doing the wrong thing in some minor means or doing something by mistake in trffic and have not put anyones lives at risk, I beleive that a warning is an ethical prosecution of the Law. J
ust flat out fining everyone for every mistake they can find is in my mind unethical, evil, and morally bankrupt.!!

How many times have I observed Police cars breaking the Law? Don't start me.

The reality is that today there are more enforcers than ever on our roads, waterways etc. and its time for a return to common sense, courtesy and ethics in prosecution!
John

35kg jew
18-07-2010, 10:45 AM
Hey guys thanks for the responses and yes most of the time the officers have been fine and quite friendly.Just this time was too far and yes people do make mistakes and that is fine but when they acted the way they did that is not on at all!

Just thought i would share as my tackle shop told me to as there has been alot of complaints down that way!!

thanks scotty

stonecold
18-07-2010, 12:26 PM
I would think that the fine issued would be an "in triplicate" copy. ie one for you, one for the powers that be and one for the courts etc (may be wrong). But if thats the case the copy of the incorrectly issued fine should still be in their book in some manner, with signiatures of the issuing officers attached. Im sure the hierachy would be interested in firstly knowing why the fine was never issued or revoked given that the copy of the fine exists in their book. Just a thought if you chose to make a complaint

Pridey
18-07-2010, 12:32 PM
Yes, the fine book should be numbered and carbon papered for multiple copies. However, depending on the organisation, as far as I am aware, they could explain themselves out of it. (eg officers discresion for infringement) also, they probably dont even audit the fine books. I know an organisation I used to work for didnt....

stonecold
18-07-2010, 01:06 PM
Only one way to find out Pridey, suppose it depends on how pissed Scotty is. Being a right bastard for this sort of thing I'd probably treat it as sport for a month or so and just see what happend... there are idiots in most organisations just like our mate on the previous page (awshucks)....in most cases idiots cant help themselves and let it be known to the wider population that they are indeed "special". That being the case they generally come under scrutiny from the hierachy. Im sure at some stage she will come unstuck if she continues to make blunders like that...her offsider is not going to like covering her butt for long ;)

35kg jew
18-07-2010, 01:53 PM
Thanks stonecold i definately have thought hard wat to do wit this situation.
I was pissed wit the situation at the time and last few weeks but im gonna give benefit of the doubt as i have rang and made a complaint already wit the name of officer hopefully they get a talk to..
It actually happened down your way!
Thanks guys

rabbi
18-07-2010, 03:44 PM
I woulda held onto the fine notice for future reference.

Personally, I woulda got on my high horse there and then knowing allowable bag limits, specially if there were spectators.

Maybe they should target some of the cowboys who dont know when to stop catching fish!!

I know some of the fisheries guys and they seem quite fair & sensible.

I think most of em do their job to the best of their abilities and allowable jurisdiction but there is the odd hillbilly amongst them.

I have not seen an inspector around these parts for yonks.

Steve.

Flex
18-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Like the rest of the population 99% of people are decent. Like fishermen or anyone else your gunna get rude people/officials on occasion.

I had the water police pull me up on Wednesday as my mate was backing the boat in, and I tought I was in strife for standing in the boat.

All he wanted to know was how economical my outboard was..lol and told me to have a great day fishing.

Ive been pulled over my marine parks 3 times now, and on every occasion they have been great blokes.

But like all walks of society there's bad apples everywhere.

pescados
20-07-2010, 03:02 PM
I have been checked out a few times and I am in Adelaide.
Must admit that they have been friendly and polite.
Should they act like pigs then they will be treated like wise.

shayned
20-07-2010, 08:27 PM
I've met what I think is most of the enforcement agents with DPI and find them decent folks doing a tough job with very little resources and funding. I've been stopped on water and have been treated kindly.

Could I suggest everyone reacts to how they are treated and in this instance it could have fired you up or alternatively it could have happened the other way as well. After all there is always at least 3 sides to a story.

Dezzer
21-07-2010, 06:40 AM
Could I suggest everyone reacts to how they are treated and in this instance it could have fired you up or alternatively it could have happened the other way as well. After all there is always at least 3 sides to a story.

Mate, the issue for me is the complete lack of knowledge on the part of the officers. You would hope that somebody supposedly trained and then payed to regulate fishing would know the difference between keep sizes for a flathead and a jew. I don't think attitude or feelings had anything to do with this decision.

Coddie
21-07-2010, 11:05 AM
CHEE-FEE, thanks for the laugh! Great writing.

Angla
21-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Pull you camera out and start rolling the video. If I feel I am being wronged then I stay calm and try to explain. Failing that I get defensive of my position and will flare up to a point. That would be the Dutchman in me, with a kodak camera in my pocket.

Like as has been said by others but, give your best efforts for a month or so and then just get over it if it is not resolved.

Cheers
Chris

Awshucks
22-07-2010, 08:21 PM
In N.S.W we cop a flogging from qld fisher's looking for what they used to have::) a alarming common occurence since the legal size of jew went up 75 in qld is they flood down here to rape and pillage to fill their esky's full of fillets of soapie's :'( your not going unnoticed and your activities are being reported to fisheries! .

BTW stone cold how can you condone this?

onerabbit
22-07-2010, 08:58 PM
That's a great way to make friends Awshucks.......you will be sure to be welcomed at Ausfish with that attitude::) ::) ::) .

Mate, it doesn't matter if they come from war-torn Afganistan to come to NSW and catch a fish.......as long as they have a licence..........

Get a hold of yourself before you REALLY offend someone.

Muzz

bondy99
22-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Awshuks.

What drugs are you on?

I'd suggest you don't tarnish everyone with the same brush and insult the intelligence of other fishos from the actions of the odd cowboy.

As for Fisheries Officers, the bulk of them do their work professionally and courteously under testing conditions just like any other person doing their job in industry.

Just like truckies ,there are some good ones and some cowboys all being pushed by a company deadline, so Fisheries is no different irrespective of what state.

Peter

odes20
22-07-2010, 10:14 PM
Hey Awshucks

You are also bit off track here to the subject arnt you??? Having an all in crack at anybody about a pet gripe is way weird buddy. if people catch legal size fish and stick to the bag limits the law officers should be thanking them not bagging them. I dont think any fisheries officer is gonna take you serious for reporting people with legal size fish LOL!!

Breathe

Cheers
John

35kg jew
23-07-2010, 06:26 AM
OMG !!!

I been fishing down there 4 10years as a young fella and this is actually the first time i have caught 2 jew in a night of some size i dont fish for soapies at all wat the!!! I have no probs wit the officers all i have said is yes we make mistakes but come on to make a seen is not right at all especially when i was in the right..
I love my jew and generally let more go than i take home this was the first because both fish swallowed the hooks badly deep.
Grow up awshucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

stonecold
23-07-2010, 08:19 AM
This will be interesting......give me an hour till I get into the office

rabbi
23-07-2010, 08:39 AM
Mmmmm,

Hehehehehe,

looking forward to this one!!!!

mod5
23-07-2010, 08:41 AM
Mmmmm,

Hehehehehe,