PDA

View Full Version : Fisheries/Forum

bam424
17-07-2010, 09:12 AM
Just so we all know, after a chat with fisheries yesterday on the water they revealed that ALL FORUMS are monitered on a daily basis. Did give my boat the once over and only had to check the 2 whiting that we caught:-[ legal by the way.

charleville
17-07-2010, 09:35 AM
Just so we all know, after a chat with fisheries yesterday on the water they revealed that ALL FORUMS are monitered on a daily basis.

That beats doing real work, I guess. ;D ;D ;D

finga
17-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Fisheries would not be the only Government department or public company or school that monitors fishing forums....whether the monitoring be official or not is another matter though

Steeler
17-07-2010, 11:26 AM
There would be many large corps and government departments who employ the services of companies such as Media Monitors.

Steeler

Pridey
17-07-2010, 12:14 PM
Unfortunatley they are probably only monitoring to burn people rather than get a feel for our views on policy...

finga
17-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Unfortunatley they are probably only monitoring to burn people rather than get a feel for our views on policy...
Either that or they want to check their PM's ::)

TheRealAndy
17-07-2010, 01:09 PM
There may be one or two fisheries staff that are actually members of AF... Some of them love their fishing just as much as we do

charleville
17-07-2010, 03:38 PM
There would be many large corps and government departments who employ the services of companies such as Media Monitors.

Yup. Standard practice.

When I was a senior poohbah in a corporation, I used to receive a daily copy of all articles relating to our company and our industry. 'Tis more of a defensive ploy rather than a consultative type one.

ie they would be looking for any criticisms that may be getting enough community or media support to warrant a response of some sort.

Just imagine the monitoring that BP is probably doing at the moment after the oil spill fiasco.

No big deal in such monitoring. 'Tis bread and butter stuff for large corporations and government departments as Steeler has said.

Awshucks
17-07-2010, 04:43 PM
Well monitor this get off your asses and do inspection's of the resident meat farmer's at the southport spit and the spearfisher's that think no one know's what their up to on the inside of the north wall (Straddie side) for god's sake your office is just around the corner.

Jarrah Jack
17-07-2010, 10:31 PM
There may be one or two fisheries staff that are actually members of AF... Some of them love their fishing just as much as we do

I know of a number of fisheries people who are very passionate about fishing, its one of the reasons why they become involved in the first place. In Vic they are understaffed and as far as I know do not moniter forums. The're too busy with ab poachers which is a big problem in the cooler waters. There can be a lot of money involved.

Apollo
18-07-2010, 07:44 AM

Very much the case Andy. I have had some good fishing chats with officers at times including a helpful one of flyfishing when one spotted the fly gear in the rack on the boat. Very passionate about the sport and very knowledgable (much more than me:-?).

When some see the Ausfish stickers on the boat, they knew what it was and a fair bit about the site, so this suggested they they may have been members here as well.

Steve

caster226
18-07-2010, 08:46 PM
comment removed

finga
19-07-2010, 06:27 AM
everyone wants fisheries officers to cover 1000's of kms of coastline but no one wants to pay for them.
Give them the 'Hammersly' for a while.
1000's of square kilometers would be nothing then especially when you consider that big magic eye they have (what do they call it??) and if people try and do a runner just pop one over the bow.

bondy99
19-07-2010, 08:33 AM
I know of a number of fisheries people who are very passionate about fishing, its one of the reasons why they become involved in the first place. In Vic they are understaffed and as far as I know do not moniter forums. The're too busy with ab poachers which is a big problem in the cooler waters. There can be a lot of money involved.

I know whats required, applied 15 times in my earlier years, been interviewed 5 times over the past 12 years and they come back with some other crap...only knowing full well they have someone already picked from either their family or relatives. or mates.

Its not what one knows, its who one knows....I use to be in the public service for 9 years so I do have a good idea what goes on. (you will never get any government department to admit it), its always same crap. such as "You did not answer or address the key selection criteria as good as the other person".

Now they have psychometric testing....which is ok, but what does "What symbol comes next or what is the missing number if you have 5, 12, ?, 20, 27..what does this have to do with measureing fish or drive a boat or read a navigation chart?

It pisses me off when you have to jump through hoops and upgrade ones qualifications the way how fisheries suggested / recommended only to be pissed off again when they change the goal posts again.

My apologies for my rant hear, just pissed off with fisheries at the moment and i hope they read it too.;D
Peter

bondy99
19-07-2010, 08:39 AM
everyone wants fisheries officers to cover 1000's of kms of coastline but no one wants to pay for them.

They do have vounteer fisheries officers, (I used to be one of them for a short stint), but you still need to eat, pay bills and get fuel etc etc.

Good enough to do unpaid volunteer work but not good enough for fulltime paid work (So they say). Sucks big time>:(

Peter

bondy99
19-07-2010, 08:40 AM
Give them the 'Hammersly' for a while.
1000's of square kilometers would be nothing then especially when you consider that big magic eye they have (what do they call it??) and if people try and do a runner just pop one over the bow.

Yeah, I can live with that;D;D;D

finga
19-07-2010, 08:52 AM
How do you become a voluntary officer??
Now that's something I'd look into especially seeing you never see a fisheries fella up here.

slyman
19-07-2010, 10:23 AM
I think Bondy is refering to the FishCare Volunteers?? They aren't officers as such, they have no authority to do anything about infringements, however they can pass on instances of infringements to the Fisheries Officers, details such as bag and size limit breaches and whatnot.

They can't take down any personal details about anyone, they cant confiscate any illegal fish or fishing gear. Their role is more of an educational one, they carry an assortment of stuff to hand out such as ID cards for fish species, rules and regs booklets, crab measures and rulers and more. They do their volunteer work in both saltwater and freshwater fisheries.

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_8187.htm

robersl
19-07-2010, 01:04 PM
May be it would be a good idea to have a spot on this forum for them to post upcoming changes in laws ect and have a Q&A spot where you could get up to date and correct info and changes

shane

sea-rash
19-07-2010, 02:47 PM
Just so we all know, after a chat with fisheries yesterday on the water they revealed that ALL FORUMS are monitered on a daily basis. Did give my boat the once over and only had to check the 2 whiting that we caught:-[ legal by the way.

I welcome them. Perhaps one of them could answer my question in this section. The right information would really help people who are trying to do the right thing.

Rob

Owen
19-07-2010, 08:59 PM
How do you become a voluntary officer??
Now that's something I'd look into especially seeing you never see a fisheries fella up here.

Would't bet all the marbles on that bloke.
I was shooting on a property in the middle of nowhere between Yetman and Tenterfield once.
Saw this 4wd with a tinnie on top heading for our camp so went to see what was going on.
Turned out to be a fisheries inspector looking for set lines.
I'd say they'd been tipped off someone was doing it, but the bloke said he did most of (country) NSW.
Was about 11ft tall and carried a sidearm as well.
Can't say I blame 'em. Lot of places to disappear out there.
Dunno if Qld does the same though.