PDA

View Full Version : fish raising outboards

trueblue
16-07-2010, 10:33 PM
what makes an outboard raise fish

noise, vibrations, what makes one model of outboard a better fish raiser than another.

2 strokes, 4 strokes, opti's, what will raise fish best as an outboard?

cheers

Mick

banshee
16-07-2010, 10:47 PM
My mate swears by a highly polished prop (stainless) during Mackeral season.

Sea-Dog
16-07-2010, 11:06 PM
I remember sitting in my mate's little tinny right in the middle of a big patch of longtail tuna busting up bait on the surface. They had been leaping out of the water all around us for about 2 minutes while his motor idled along.

He switched the motor off and it was like switching the fish off - they disappeared immediately.

trueblue
16-07-2010, 11:18 PM
I'm just curious, for gamefishing, people talk about fish raising, where billies come up towards the engine / boat

You hear of certain boats being better fish raisers, because of their engine types / configurations

any truth to it.........

will a running 2 stroke attract fish as well as a running 4 stroke? Will an Opti be worse or better??????

just curious. If I changed my engine, should there be consideration here?

sleepygreg
17-07-2010, 01:57 AM
If I am going to buy a Gamefishing boat....i know it will have to have Yanmar diesels in it. Dont know about outboards though....I cant stand 2 stroke fumes - they make me crook - so it wouldnt matter to me about their fish raising abilities - they wont be on any boat I own.
Greg

Mr__Bean
17-07-2010, 05:09 AM
Funny the stories you hear.

I was told some fish are attracted by the sound of diesels.

Belief was that the fish are attracted to the bycatch and berley going overboard on large trawlers.

A bit like the seagulls.

Ahhh........... more pub talk.

- Darren

jeffo
17-07-2010, 06:21 AM
Mick, over the years i would have to say as far as trailer boats with outboards go....every dog has its day.

Game boats are a different story, but if we could narrow it down to specifics every one would be driving around in the same type of boat! The big rivs seam to go well on the Blue's out here is one thing we have noticed!

finga
17-07-2010, 07:14 AM
It's not the motors it's the doof doof.
Fish like Metalica.

Pridey
17-07-2010, 08:23 AM
It's not the motors it's the doof doof.
Fish like Metalica.

Funny you say that.

I do a lot of creek/esturay fishing out of various ally boats. Different mates like various genres of music played whilst fishing, some no music at all. I have to say I can fish with or without music, although its nice when you're just soaking livies or dead baits to break up the monotony. This being said, especially at night, I have noticed more hits/hookups with the music a little bit louder and fast paced..

Although in saying that, there might also be a little more alcohol consumption at night and time might just be going a little faster and it could just seem that that is the case.

Midnight
17-07-2010, 08:26 AM
Gday Mick,
Just take the power head off your current outboard and put a hydrailic motor in its place, fit a 3208 V8 Cat diesel with a big hydraulic pump on the front of it and run the exhaust under water;D

Seriously though, the bigger capacity diesels seem to raise the fish with their low frequency doom doom doom, so maybe a 4 stroke could be better?? Who knows?

I do know that the outboard powered boats tend to get more shots on the riggers and shotgun, and not so much on the short and long corner.(Someone here with an outboard may prove me wrong however by saying they get all their strikes on the short lures haha)

Re props, I have always theorised that my polished stainless props flashing away in the sunlight certainly works to raise fish. I get a lot of bites on the flatlines and little blacks in particular nearly always come up on the short corner lure first.

Spend ya money on a shiny stainless prop rather than a witchdoctor is my theory haha

Cheers,
Myles

P.S A very experienced Capt I know reckons the BEST fish raising boat he ever ran was a Bertram 35 with bigblock petrols in it.

Pridey
17-07-2010, 08:31 AM
Maybe someone should try laquering some shiny holographics onto their stainless props !!! that would be both boat bling and a semi legit science experiment !

PinHead
17-07-2010, 08:40 AM
2 strokes cos not even a fish could hear a 4 banger.

gr hilly
17-07-2010, 08:41 AM
here fishy fishy fishy chuck a bit of pilly in every30 sec here fishy fishy fishy more pillies that works
Hilly

four_button_arnie
17-07-2010, 02:12 PM
Pridey ive heard of people sticking holographic cutouts of baits fish under their hull..
but on the prop, hehehe if a fish came up and tried to have a bite at least you would get great instant berely

Josh
________
FAKE WEED (http://syntheticweed.org)

no chicken tonight
17-07-2010, 04:26 PM
shaft driven boats are always best for game fishing (IMO),as there is no exhaust/bubbles pumped out through the prop. shafts leave clean water immediately behind the boat. I reckon this is why 4 stroke outboards are better than two strokes.Half as many power strokes in a 4 stroke means cleaner water for the lures/baits to run in and teasers will then work better.

bigjimg
17-07-2010, 07:44 PM
Wheres the science in any of this.Ive had good bites with my opti and would compare this on par with a thirty foot Obrien I've worked on.We ran six lures on the game boat and run just 2 lures on my boat and that keeps us happy.I could run a another 2 but don't need too.What ever works for you brother.Jim

trueblue
17-07-2010, 10:25 PM
So, the question is, does it matter - just have an engine of some sort running?