PDA

View Full Version : 5.2KC v podded 560 SC?

Flex
16-07-2010, 10:23 AM
Been looking madly for my next boat.
I know similar questions have been asked before but I'll ask again...

I've narrowed it down to either 5.2kc (if i can find a decently one at a fair price) or the latest model shark cat with pods for the better transom set-up.

My question for the more experienced whats the main difference between these two in terms of fish ability, ride quality, cabin room, cockpit set-up and weight? given both sitting on alloy trailers?

Im leaning towards the 5,2KC, but motor choice is very limited, and 60hp yamaha's would be to slow for me I feel. 80-100km offshore at 22 knots is painfully slow IMO. I know I could gowith 90hp 2 strokes, but long terms I'd want 4 strokes

The podded SC can fit lots of different motors so speed across the ground would be better i think, but are they as good to fish from? alot thirstier? still want a boat thats nice to fish from once your there....

Thoughts?

Noelm
16-07-2010, 11:49 AM
as far as fuel use goes, it would be motor dependant, a couple of (say) 115's on a Sharkcat would use more per hour than a couple of (say) 60 4strokes on a 5.2, but then the cruise/max speed comes into it and the compromise begins, as far as fishing goes, either would serve you well, not a lot in that bit, the 5.2 will be much nicer in standard trim, the Sharkcat is very sparse from new, but I guess extras would have been added over the years, so they may be close second hand. Cabin space is about the same, they are both "cosy" with a couple of people in them, toss of a coin that one I reckon, ride, I reckon the Sharkcat has the edge, but not by a huge lot, but (in my opinion) it is noticably better, Sharkcat would be heavier (it is bigger after all) price is where the Sharkcat will win everytime unless you are very lucky and find something and have the cash to buy there and then, or find an old tatty 5.2, maybe. By the way, I have been in both models a thousand times and am not bagging or praising one either, it is MY opinion!

Flex
16-07-2010, 06:25 PM
Thanks Noelm,
how much heavier would you say the SC is hull wise? In the flesh the KC actually looks to be a "bigger" boat due to higher deepr hull.

If I went with a 5.2 I'd eventually stick 90hp motors on it I think, compare that to a podded 565 SC with say 115-140 suzuki's, much difference you think?

Smithy
16-07-2010, 06:30 PM
You'll be running into range issues with 2 stroke 90s on a 5.2KC. Range is an issue even with the F60s on the Capricorn Bunker Group and the country off Wide Bay Bar if you do big overnighters.

finding_time
16-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Smithy's hit the hail on the head!! 22 knots might seem slow, but at this speed you'll have about 200 nm/ 370 km range, without carrying extra fuel, i quiet often carry an extra 120l which gives another 100nm/ 185km ( extra weight looses some distance in the liters per nm equation) now by the time you carry a big load of ice you dont want to add to much more weight! You will almost take 40% of those milages if your going to run the 90 2 strokes and thats not enough milage for the distances your talking about!

Dont get to caught up with speed, a good average speed for anyboat offshore is 20 knots if the weather is anything but a glass out and i have fished plenty of times with boats that can go alot faster than that but they have been unable to keep up with me if it's at all rough or choppy! It's range that's your big issue and the f60's give you that range, i do many 3 day 2 night trips in mine around the bunker group and the top of Fraser covering big distances and the differance between doing 100 km's at 22 knots and 100km's at 27 knots is only 30 min, just leave alittle earlier!

Ian

Flex
16-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Thanks guys, when I said 90hp. I meant 90hp 4 strokes suzuki's.
I'd be interested to see how much more fuel the 4 stroke suzuki's would use per hour over the 60hps yamaha's.

Noelm
17-07-2010, 07:08 AM
probably not that much I would reckon, might pay to look for a few tests and see what you can find out.

boatboy50
17-07-2010, 08:29 AM
Flex,

Do a search here. Kitty Cat has a 5.2 which he repowered with 90 Suzukis about a year ago.

He's now done some hours and all the info is on here.

Darren

kitty_cat
17-07-2010, 10:18 AM
hey guys
we just have had the 200hr service and the fuel flow is better than ever we just done a 220 klm run out of moreton on a fairly average 15knt day using 150 lts of fuel not bad at about 0.7 ltrs fuel per 1klm between the 2 motors.

as ian suggests on a 3 day trip we have to carry fuel as our tanks are only 220ltrs giving us 300 klms range .
we will solve this soon with floor up and new bigger tanks going in.
wayne

Flex
17-07-2010, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the info Wayne, Whats your cruise speed with the 90's? obviously weather dependent, but on a 10-15knot day how quick do you normally go and whats your top speed? how how would this compare to the guys with 60 yamahas?

Also was it easy fitting the 90's? how do they go for weight and the wet deck? much water come in?

Whats it gunna cost you to put larger tanks in?

cheers

kitty_cat
17-07-2010, 12:27 PM
hey mate
we cruise around at 20-24knts at 4200 rpm approx max speed 42knts @ 6200rpm

planning and everything power wise is spot on it is a dream hp for this boat

weight is 155kgs for me was a bonus as i had carby hondas on first at 175ish kgs
so infact our deck become much driier but still with 3 blokeds and full eskys can be a bit cold on the toes in winter , if no eskys or fishing gear the deck will not get wet at all thats the difference hondas were always lapping at rear scupper

keep in mind we have the larger pods allready on the boat (will be a must on the 90hp suzukis)

the fuel tank is one of those things no budget only going to upset myself other wise.i will do all the work myself to keep costs down big job but will give me access to fuel tanks with new fibreglass lids going down instead of one piece floor.i will then foam fill the rear bulk heads for extra boyancy and keeping from mid deck forward origianl and compleatly sealed for safety reasons.

wayne