PDA

View Full Version : Recommend fishing club in Cairns

fishfnq
15-07-2010, 07:14 PM
OK, I know there are Cairns fishos on here, so give me your recommendation on a good club to join to get to know general reef fishing areas, when/where/how etc. Is it worth joining ? why do you recommend this club ? Cheers

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-merv/fishing.gif

Robbo76
16-07-2010, 08:38 AM
Hi mate, try asking in the tackle stores, they will point you in the right direction.

I know that Yorkeys marina/club hold fishing club meetings, might be worth popping in and asking about it.

Bad_Bubby
18-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Unless you are already set up with a substantial boat of 7m+ I wouldn't go for the Yorkies option. A few years ago I joined up (at a pretty steep cost) with the ambition of joining other crews if they were short, or possibly joining their comps in my boat. Problem is, and this year is a perfect example, the comp dates aren't flexible so they often take place during 20kn + conditions, basically ruling out anyone but the big timers. In addition I found the other benefits to be inconsistent with the membership fees. Fair enough if you can afford to drink/eat there every day but 5-10% discount doesn't amount to much for your average person. It is really there to just gurantee them more business. To top it off, my membership card took so long to arrive, it was only valid for one month.
Hope my experience helps your decision!