PDA

View Full Version : New Boat - first run today

NormC
14-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Picked up the new boat today. Bluefin Wrangler 4.75 with E-Tec 75. 120 litre fuel tank, HDS 8 (Structure Scan to come), side console.

Put it on the water for first time today. Overall very good.
Engine noise level is good (previous motor was Merc 4 stroke). Heaps of grunt to get going. WOT achieved 65 KPH @ 5050 RPM running with wind and tide. Against wind and tide, got to about 60 KPH @ 4950 RPM. Prop is Viper 17 inch SS.

NMEA 2000 connection from motor to HDS is great. Engine temp around 65 C at idle, reducing to around 45 C at cruise speed.

Sounder loses depth reading above about 35KPH. Dealer lowered transducer a bit after the run. Hopefully that and a bit more fiddling with hight and angle will get that right.

Overall I'm very happy after about 90 mins on the water. I'll get in another run (possibly 2) before packing it up for the trip from Gold Coast to NT, where it will spend much of its life.

Might not catch any more barra than before, but we will now do it with more style and comfort.

No pics yet - I'll try to fix that soon.

norm C

Moonlighter
14-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Well done, congrat's on the new boat Norm!

Just one thing I noticed from your post was that you're maxing out at just on 5000 rpm. I see from the etec website that the 75 operating range is 4500 - 5500rpm.

I imagine the new boat is fairly lightly loaded (being new and probably not yet full of fishing gear, eskies etc) so it might be worth a chat with the dealer about the impact a full load will have on rpm, and possibly consider the next smaller pitch prop to get you some more rpm. That would prevent the engine 'lugging' when you've got a load of them big barra on board!

Mostly its recommended to get at least to the mid range of the op range and generally it seems to be accepted that its better to get towards the top of the RPM range. So can't hurt to have a chat with the dealer about that before you head way up north.

Enjoy the new toy!

Cheers

ML

Pridey
14-07-2010, 08:15 PM
Do E-Tecs require a run in period ??

Spaniard_King
14-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Do E-Tecs require a run in period ??

Yep they sure do.. from the dealer to the ramp.. then let her go ;D ;D ;D

seriously.. no they dont

Pridey
14-07-2010, 08:26 PM
Hmm. cool. there you go.

*cancel that train of thought*

jarrod_geelong
14-07-2010, 10:23 PM
WOT revs
i just got my stacer sea ray 5.25M with a 90hp 2009 evinrude e-tec an WOT was around 4900rpm 55kph with 50lts fuel and me an the missus alone in the boat
just reading the other posts it got me thinking 3blokes esky ect hows she going to go,

NTMID8
14-07-2010, 10:26 PM
Well done mate, looking forward to seeing pics of the new rig.

NormC
15-07-2010, 07:21 AM
Thanks guys. Fuel tank had about 30 litres (25% load). Three adults on board, one of them weighing 140 KG who was up front.

Loaded for a normal fishing trip with wife and me, full load of fuel, esky, fishing gear, Minn Kota and battery, I figure we will be about 50 KG heavier than on the test.

What about the dealers comment that max RPM will increase by 100 RPM or more after 5 or 6 hours of use? If that is right, I figured I was set up about right. If it is a croc, perhaps I need to do something to gain a bit.

Norm C

STUIE63
15-07-2010, 08:23 AM
Norm
did they trial a viper 15" prop I think it will be well worth trialling ?
Stuie

hhb470
15-07-2010, 08:51 AM
hi norm,
contratulations on the new boat.
i own a 90 etec and am a bit of a fanatic.
imo your wot rpm is too low.
you should be reaching at least 5200 minumum (to 5500) for optimum overall motor performance.
you are close but not on the ideal mark.
to increase wot rpm you may need to lift motor 1 hole, what hole is it mounted on at the moment?
by lifting motor 1 hole will increase wot rpm by about 150 rpm.
the other way is to change prop.

just my 2 bobs worth.
cheers,
nick

matt fraser
15-07-2010, 09:05 AM
Congrats on the new boat Norm!I've got the Bluefin Trooper 4.75, same hull, but in a tiller. Good allrounder, great for the rivers and dams, ok for the bay and able to get offshore on good days.

You have to keep the weight to the rear as much as possible and use plenty of trim, and it will ride much better. Too much weight in the nose and they are very, very wet!

should be awesome for the Territory! watch out for those rockbars with a SS prop.

Cheers,

Matt

Angry
15-07-2010, 02:15 PM
Well done boys nice boats been looking at the 475 Wranglers with a Suzuki 70 or 80hp 4 stroke.

Decided my 460 Hornet isnt high enough to take outside except on really calm days, & the higher sides would be better protection for Alpine lakes like Eucumbene.

Matt I know you troll fresh what motor you got on yours ??

NormC
15-07-2010, 02:42 PM
Motor is currently on third hole, so it can go up one more if necessary.
Reducing to 15 inch prop will lift my RPM, but will I lose top speed as a result?

Only had one run so far. Will try to get out again tomorrow.

If I'm going to change anything, I need to do it quickly. We hope to drive out on Monday to return to NT.

matt fraser
15-07-2010, 03:33 PM
Angry I've got a Yamaha F60. Great motor! I only get around the 50kph but I'm happy with that.

Norm, I agree with everyone else here, if you are only just getting 5000rpm, thats way too low. Diameter might not be the problem, it could be pitch or a combination of both.

Hopefully someone here will set you straight on the right size to suit your boat/motor. A good dealer might let you take a couple of props for a test?

If it were me taking it to the territory, I wouldn't be worrying about stainless. In the two years I lived there, I hit rockbars on a regular basis. With an Ally prop, just bend it back into position with a shifter, and neaten it up with a file.

All the best,

Matt

L.R.M.
15-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Yep they sure do.. from the dealer to the ramp.. then let her go ;D ;D ;D

seriously.. no they dont

Love your work Gary

Norm, happy to help with setting up your boat, she is going to serve you well
The factory specs for the 2010 E75, show optimum performance between 5000 rpm and 5200 rpm
You will gain 100 to 150 rpm when the oil setting reduces around the 6 to 8 hr mark.
She is set up perfect and runs like a clock

Give me a call anytime Norm,
Paul mcNaught
Logan River Marine

Lancair
15-07-2010, 05:00 PM
I have a reverse problem I think, my 2010 Etec 115, with a 14 3/4 X 16 viper prop is getting 6150rpm at wot. My dealer is checking with his mechanic but I think its too high and want a 17 or 18 prop to try.

STUIE63
15-07-2010, 07:45 PM
mine never gained 150 revs . my 90 runs a 15" viper and when I went to it from a 17 the motor ran quieter , had a heap more takeoff out of the hole , better fuel economy and I lost about 2 km/hr top end speed .
Stuie

Stumpthumpa
16-07-2010, 07:07 AM
I have just purchased a used Blue Fin Phantom 4.75 with a 75 E-Tec on the back. Overall it goes well, but am only reaching 33 knots at just under 5,000 rpm WOT - with a full fuel load, all gear and 2 people on board. I did not see where you quoted your prop pitch Norm. I have a Viper 13 7/8 x 17 which appears too big(?). I am going to contact to Solas on a different prop, so I would be interested to see what you come up with. Good luck and enjoy the boat.

hhb470
16-07-2010, 08:24 AM
hi,
it shocks me that so many dealers fit up and deliver boats to clients where the motor set up (height & correct prop, etc) is not within motor manufacturer's recommended specification to achieve WOT rpm.

All motors ESPECIALLY ETECS must achieve recommended WOT rpm so that the whole rev range is in tune.

For you guys who are achieving under recommended WOT rpm spec I would take the boat back to the dealer and demand a correction. Heaven help me what other problems you may have with the rig up such as incorrect battery capacity, fuel lines, battery terminals etc.

Cheers,
Nick

STUIE63
16-07-2010, 08:28 AM
Don't contact solas contact brp the 15" viper works well . this is the third boat on this thread that is overpropped
Stuie

NormC
16-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Went for another run today. Followed advice I got from Huey an E Tec expert who posts on this forum.

For today's run there was little tidal or wind influence. With a load that would be around 130 KG less than 'normal', and motor trimmed right out, I readily got to 5260 RPM. On a brief run with just me in the boat (about 280 KG) under 'normal' load, I got to 5390 RPM. With a bit longer run, I'm sure it could have topped 5,400 RPM.

Prop is Viper 13 7/8 17, same as Stumpthumpa.

Although I came away from the first run a bit concerned at the lack WOT RPM, after the second run I was much happier. I suspect one of the big differences is that on the first run, my 150 KG son was right at the front of the boat. Moving the load to the rear has made a difference. Lack of tidal and wind influence also made it easier to guage performance.

I'm now happy that Logan River Marine have set the boat up well.

I only had one other small issue with the way Bluefin had finished something on the boat and Logan River Marine has resolved that quickly to my satisfaction.

As long as it all stays that good, I'll be a happy Bluefin / E Tec owner.

Norm C

matt fraser
16-07-2010, 01:24 PM
That's good to hear Norm, sounds like it running sweet.

I got my Bluefin from LRM as well and Paul does a good job!

In regards to my earlier comments, on engine rpm, I'm not familiar with ETecs, apparently their optimum revs are lower than most 4 strokes. So don't listen to keyboard experts like me on here.

All the best with it, it will be a great boat for the Territory.

Cheers,

Matt

bluefin59
17-07-2010, 04:11 PM
Good to see a happy new owner ,welcome to the club norm i hope you have many a trouble free hours in the bluefin and with the etec . I have just ticked over 700hrs motor hrs and 6 yrs in mine and i would buy a new one in a heart beat congrats hope you post some pics of that bad boy ...matt

bigjimg
17-07-2010, 07:30 PM
Congrats on your new rig.Raising one hole at least won't cost you anything so worth the shot for a look see.Throw up some pics when you get a chance.Jim

bert
17-07-2010, 07:53 PM
Hi Norm
Good to here you have finally got your hands on your wrangler.I got mine through paul at lrm to.

Cheers rob