PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Anchor

Barrow
12-07-2010, 08:54 PM
:'( :'( The Tiwi Pearl ate my anchor too.

After reading in an old post "The Tiwi Pearl ate my anchor" I am happy to hear that I am not the only poor sap that has added a chunk to prolong the life of the reef out at Harries....

Now I need a new anchor and I have no idea how heavy my original anchor was or how long the rope was. Is there a calc that can be used to work this out lenght of boat:anchor weight?

cheers
Brent

Noelm
13-07-2010, 09:33 AM
experience is the best teacher, how big is our boat and what sort of anchor do you want?

Barrow
13-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Boat Length 6.25m just the same anchor that it came with...think its called a sand anchor

cheers
Brent

tigermullet
13-07-2010, 11:45 AM
A sand (Danforth) anchor between 7 and 9 kg should do the trick and you might want to carry a reef anchor as well.

Barrow
13-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Will I have less chance of getting the reef anchor stuck? Why?

tigermullet
13-07-2010, 01:19 PM
The tines (hook thingies) will straighten out or be bent sufficiently with enough pressure. I think they are pretty cheap to buy - we used to make our own but it's hardly worth the effort. They aren't any good for anything but reef, rock areas or wrecks, of course.

For sand or mud I prefer the Danforth rather than a plough. Sarca are supposed to be very good but have never tried them.

Noelm
13-07-2010, 01:45 PM
wrecks and hard reef just loves to keep sand anchors.

dnej
13-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Take a look at www.anchorright.com.au (http://www.anchorright.com.au).
There is a lot of information on that sight , and also the sarca reef anchor is there to look at. Does reef, and sand, but still have to be careful around wrecks.
David

johndeere
13-07-2010, 05:31 PM
If you buy a SARCA there's a fair chance you'll have to price in a new bowsprit as well. Their site tells you to use a D shackle which is correct but make sure you make it's attachment permanent and then use another D shackle or similar to attach to your anchor rope. The D shackle must have the pin part through the anchor, not the curved bit. Unfortunately the shackle then moves up and down the slide whilst at anchor and the pin comes undone so make sure you bruise the end of the pin with a punch.
;)

DATCOL
13-07-2010, 11:34 PM
Buy a COOPER anchor it will do both sand & reef Great piece of gear
www.cooperanchors.com.au (http://www.cooperanchors.com.au) COL

Hornet Rider
14-07-2010, 07:25 AM
:'( :'( The Tiwi Pearl ate my anchor too.

After reading in an old post "The Tiwi Pearl ate my anchor" I am happy to hear that I am not the only poor sap that has added a chunk to prolong the life of the reef out at Harries....

Now I need a new anchor and I have no idea how heavy my original anchor was or how long the rope was. Is there a calc that can be used to work this out lenght of boat:anchor weight?

cheers
Brent

Hi Brent,

That's a pain, sorry to hear you lost a good anchor. A few of the dive charters sometimes dive on the Tiwi Pearl, fax them pic or description of your anchor & you might get it back for a reduced price::) Just wondering, did you have an anchor bouy on your set up? I've used one for a while now, with both sand & reef anchors. Saved my reef anchor at Hutchies one trip. Tines should have bent to free it but Neptune had a death grip on it, until I run out hard & let the anchor bouy do the work.

cheers, HR

Barrow
14-07-2010, 08:49 AM
No I didn't have an anchor bouy bur I will certainly be adding one with my new set up.

What lenghth of rope do I need or do I just buy a package, anchor + chain + rope + bouy + D shackles?

Cheers

Noelm
14-07-2010, 09:21 AM
far better to buy all the stuff seperate, most "packages" are not all that suited to anything properly, as far as rope goes, you can never have too much, buy as much as your anchor well will hold, chain is pretty much chain, but the heavier link type tends to hold better, I guess two anchors would be best for you, a simple reef anchor (about 1/2" times) cut short, and a sand anchor (danforth) for the times you need to anchor on sand or a beach or something. Changing over is easy with a shackle setup, but make sure you do the shackle up tight, and/or put some wire through to stop it undoing.

Noelm
14-07-2010, 09:23 AM
OH, I forgot, if you get your anchor stuck really good on (say) a wreck, no bouys and driving off at angles will get it back, use common sense, give it a fair old go, never from the stern, but if it puts you and your boat in danger, then do not over do it for the sake of a few dollars.

Barrow
16-07-2010, 08:43 AM
Thanks Noelm,

I agree with you I gave it a fair go trying to get it loose but I wasn't prepared to loose the boat for it so I just cut it free

Cheers

Noelm
16-07-2010, 10:28 AM
just remembered an old trick my mate used to do if he had to cut off his anchor, some might find this silly, others might think it is a good idea, so here goes, he used to get the rope as short as he safely could, then tie a Snapper lead to the end, near where he was going to cut it, when cut, the snapper lead would take the end to the bottom, this prevented slack rope floating about on the surface, if you cut it at high tide, when the tide is low, there could be a couple of metres of rope floating on the surface, waiting to get tangled in someone else's prop.

Axl
16-07-2010, 12:02 PM
Hi Brent,

That's a pain, sorry to hear you lost a good anchor. A few of the dive charters sometimes dive on the Tiwi Pearl, fax them pic or description of your anchor & you might get it back for a reduced price::) Just wondering, did you have an anchor bouy on your set up? I've used one for a while now, with both sand & reef anchors. Saved my reef anchor at Hutchies one trip. Tines should have bent to free it but Neptune had a death grip on it, until I run out hard & let the anchor bouy do the work.

cheers, HR

I didnt think that you were allowed to dive on the Tiwi Pearl?

bugman
16-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Axl,

Correct

DALEPRICE
16-07-2010, 05:10 PM
barren,

i think what you need to have happen is to anchor up in front
of the wreck and drift back into position. i dont think you want your
anchor to go onto the wreck as no matter what brand it is they will
still snag. is it sand around that wreck or more wrecks ?
cheers dale

Hornet Rider
16-07-2010, 06:05 PM
I didnt think that you were allowed to dive on the Tiwi Pearl?

Correct Axl, hence the rolling eyes ::) , bit like the rule that says you're not allowed to fish green zones, or secret deep holes NE of Mud Is, or pull other peoples crab pots, or take undersided fish, or exceed bag limits, or base jump off bridges or buildings, or train surf - a small % of people have alternate views on 'the rules', I don't condon it but it happens;)

cheers, HR

Almako
16-07-2010, 08:16 PM
I've dived with quite a few brisbane dive operators, and not one of them has ever mention the tiwi pearl. Is it illegal to dive it? what would the vis be like anyway?

Is it worth diving or fishing?

Almako
16-07-2010, 08:20 PM
yep no diving, found an article on it

Almako
16-07-2010, 08:22 PM
I would doubt a professional dive operation wouldn't be prepared to lose their license over diving this. The bay isn't exactly the clearest of waters either. Will have to go out there and have a fish now i'm aware of it, thanks guys.